Mauser Rifles- Mitchell Sales

Dirtypacman

NES Door Greeter
I have been drooling over all the rifles you guys have been posting... looking to pick up a Mauser and am interested in any feedback you guys have on Mitchell Sales Mausers

http://www.mitchellsales.com/rifles/hist_m48/index.htm

Any other places to check or go to ???

- i have been watching the classifieds for weeks but have not been quick enough to catch any.

Do a search here for Mitchell. I "think" that info on them has been posted before. Basically what I have learned from reading their ads, posts in various C&R forums . . .they are way overpriced, but good guns.

Assuming you have a C&R FFL:

Pick up a Gun List or Shotgun News (usually available at Barnes & Noble and maybe Border's) and check the ads. Call those companies that list them and ask if they will ship to a C&R FFL holder in MA. If so, you have just found your source!

Otherwise, your wisest choice is pay a visit to Carl at Four Seasons. Check his website he has some listed, priced not badly for retail . . . but still a lot more than if you are able to buy directly. At least at FS, you can pick and choose before plunking down the green!

Way, way over priced! Take Len's advice and shop around.
Let us know what you're looking for and maybe we can help find something for you. If need be, you can buy one out of state and have it transfered here to you.
Throw up a WTB in the classifieds.

I also am not impressed with Mitchell's prices. Want a nice Mauser? Try a 24/47 or M48 Yugo. The ones I've seen and heard of were in nice shape.

VZ-24's are dirt cheap, if you don't mind investing some effort cleaning and fixing the finish. I've got a VZ-24 that I paid a whopping $30 for.

Definitely avoid Mitchell's completely. There are plenty of places you can still get un-issued Czech and Yugo mausers from, just do some hunting. A certain Florida company imports mint ones btw.

I just received the latest flier from a certain mail-order company that advertises in GL and SGN. They had a lot of Mauser action guns at very good prices. They also listed Wolf ammo in both .223 and 7.62x39 for the same price ($130/1K) + $17 shipping to this area. [My mil-spec ARs love Wolf .223, I'll assume the same for 7.62x39 for mil-spec rifles (even if the mil-spec isn't USA). I don't advocate using Wolf pistol ammo for anything!]

I have no idea if said company will or will not ship to lowly peons with C&R FFL and LTC from MA. I've ordered from them before but it was several years ago.

I agree with the price being high--- Here is what I wanted.

1) Looking to spend $150-200 -- Willing to go a bit higher because of 2 and 3

2) Would like matching serial #s on all parts

3) Would like something in good to new condition - I dont want to spend too much time restoring it.

I will look into F.S. since I have not been there in a couple weeks.
I guess I may need to do more research.. There is so many variations its hard to know what I want :) I guess thats a good thing though. Once I have a better understanding of what I should post in WTB I will start a thread there.

Four Seasons has 2 posted on their used section -- Wish they were open Mondays so I can go feel em out :(

Ok so after further investigation (no I have not visited four seasons yet)

I am looking at the following style rifles :

Enfield MK1
M1 Garand
Mosin-Nagant
Mauser

I know there is varying models for each of the above but I still don't have enough knowledge to specify exact models. I would like to end up with one of each for my collection but I have to start somewhere so one at a time.

Any suggestions for best model or any suggestions for models to not even consider. Thanks ahead of time.

Dirtypacman said:
Ok so after further investigation (no I have not visited four seasons yet)

I am looking at the following style rifles :

Enfield MK1
M1 Garand
Mosin-Nagant
Mauser

I know there is varying models for each of the above but I still don't have enough knowledge to specify exact models. I would like to end up with one of each for my collection but I have to start somewhere so one at a time.

Any suggestions for best model or any suggestions for models to not even consider. Thanks ahead of time.

DPM,

I've got a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 that I bought at Four Seasons last summer for $120. It's in really nice shape and a great shooter. I'd be more than happy to let you shoot it at HHRG sometime. Let me know...

My reommendation is to start with an M1 from CMP, and also a 1903 Springfield, if you ever want one. You won't find cheaper prices for these than there. Get them before they're gone.

Mosin's and Mausers can be had cheap enough, and there's plenty of them.

I suggest a 91/30 for your first Mosin, not an M38 or M44.

For a Mauser, Yugo's and VZ-24's are available. Some of us consider the VZ-24 to be the BEST Mauser, with the possible exception of Swedish M96's. The Yugo's (M24/47 or M48) are just spin-offs of the VZ-24, and usually in better shape.

That Enfield, do you mean No1 Mk III or No 4 Mk I?

They're completely different guns that look the same with some matching parts. I would avoid No 5's (Jungle Carbine). There's lots of fake ones, and the real ones were lousy shooters.

Jay G said:
DPM,

I've got a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 that I bought at Four Seasons last summer for $120. It's in really nice shape and a great shooter. I'd be more than happy to let you shoot it at HHRG sometime. Let me know...

Wow thanks for the offer- I may very well take you up on that :)
Chances are I will be doing some driving around to feel a few out a gun shops in the area this weekend so range time will be gun shop time this weekend.

Nickle:

That is some great information- THANKS!
Answer on Enfield - I was looking at the No 4 MK I

Dirtypacman said:
Wow thanks for the offer- I may very well take you up on that :)
Chances are I will be doing some driving around to feel a few out a gun shops in the area this weekend so range time will be gun shop time this weekend.

Nickle:

That is some great information- THANKS!
Answer on Enfield - I was looking at the No 4 MK I

If you come up my way, I don't have an Enfield, but I do have the rest of them.

And the No4 MK I is the best of them.

Nickle said:
If you come up my way, I don't have an Enfield, but I do have the rest of them.

And the No4 MK I is the best of them.

:) thanks for invitation

The No4 MK I is my first choice. I kind of put them in the order I wanted them but of course it depends on availability and condition.

I'll add my relatively inexperienced voice to the conversation. I looked at the Mitchell Mausers and decided that a C&R license is the way to go. It's cheap $30.00 and easy to get. That opens the door to better selection and pricing than you will get from an outfit like Mitchell.

Since the first of the year (roughly) I've been able to buy a K31, Mosin Nagant M38, SMLE No4 Mk1* using my C&R license. I've also bought an SKS and No4 Mk2 commercially. Any of the bolt action rifles are good places to start. I haven't had the urge for a Mauser yet, but will at some point no doubt.

If you get a C&R you'll save a lot of money on rifles, but that doesn't mean you'll save a lot of money. There's ammo to buy and tools and supplies. The C&R helps you there as Midway and Brownells will give you dealer pricing if you send them a copy of your C&R.

As to not wanting to do a lot of restoration, you probably won't have to. You will have to do a lot of cleaning as some of these rifles were rearsenalled in the 50s or 60s, covered with liberal, er copious, amounts of Cosmoline and put away. I've taken every one of my rifles apart, cleaned, and then inspected them. I've had a lot of enjoyment doing it and there is no better way to see how a weapon was built than to strip it down to it's components and then put it back together. There is nothing more rewarding than to get a rifle back together with NO EXTRA PARTS!! <G>

I haven't shot any of them yet, but that's more time and weather related than anything else. Now that the good weather is here, I plan to shoot them all.

For what Mitchell wants for that Mauser, you can get a C&R, buy a Mosin Nagant, the stuff to clean and maintain it, and a 440 round tin of ammunition for it. You'll probably have money left over to buy gas.

Enjoy.

Gary

I take it when your saying C&R that is the same as the CMP Certification?
To purchase direct from the CMP Program?

Dirtypacman said:
I take it when your saying C&R that is the same as the CMP Certification?
To purchase direct from the CMP Program?

No, two different things. Having a C&R will allow you to buy from CMP, but it will also allow you to buy directly from distributors as long as the weapon is C&R eligable. There is a thread in the Gun Laws forum, as a matter of fact it's a sticky, that will give you tons of information. If you read through it, you'll find just about any question you can think of answered by someone.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom