• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SA M1A series rifles?

SA M1A series?

• Good

Votes: 45 86.5%
  • Sucks

Votes: 7 13.5%

• Total voters

Golddiggie

NES Member
What's the NES brain trust (using that term loosely of course) on the Springfield Armory M1A series of rifles?

I'm considering picking one up in the coming months. Before I do, though, I need to hear both the good and bad about it. Should I be looking at something else (better?) in the same price range? I'm not opposed to changing over to a quality bolt action rifle instead (maybe built on the Howa 1500 action/setup). From what I'm seeing, I should be able to get most anything in that line for under $2500 (to me). From what I've also seen, I could build up a solid BA using the Howa 1500 barreled action for not more than that too.

I'm looking at 308 Winchester for either item. Mostly range toy, but could be looking to hunt at some future point (wouldn't be for at least a few years though). With the realistic ranges for the region, 308 Winchester would do either job without issue. I'm not looking at going beyond about 600 yards. Although with the M1A series weight they might not be all that good for hunting trips. Especially once you add a good optic on top. I won't be going iron sights since my eyes are not good enough for that (even with glasses/help).

If you vote in the poll, especially the negative option, at least post up which of the models you're referring to as well as the reason. Hell, do that for the 'good' option if you can.

I already have an AR10 (308 Winchester) rifle. Just looking at getting something else in the same caliber. Especially something with a box mag that would be easy to swap/load.

My M1A Scout Squad with the 18" barrel and FDE stock has been 100% reliable and is a superb, quick handling battle rifle, especially with the added Burris 3x9 scout scope. Highly recommended. Also, my full size M1A standard with 22" barrel and walnut stock has been equally reliable. AR's are ok but the M1A is a rifleman's rifle (as is the M1 Garand).

Last edited:
I voted for sucks. That said, I've had a few and still have an old school build on a USGI parts kit that I love, for nostalgia more than anything. Given your parameters and needs, I'd say you could do way better at a price point on a rifle that'll run circles around the M1A series/style of rifles. They're not that accurate for what they cost. Match rifles needed constant tuning and babbying to maintain accuracy. If you wanted a military style rifle for range fun blasting where 2-4 MOA is fine and wanted the cool factor, sure, get an M1A

Everyone that has one claims sub MOA accuracy but I've never seen it and put up money to see it but got no takers. I hate to sound like I'm bashing it, I'm not, I love mine but it is what it is.

IRT optics mounting, your kind of limited, though I'm not up to speed on whats available for the squad/scout style rifles. My experience has been mostly service style.

JMHO before the M14 loyalist jump on me

There are other options for M1A's besides SA, Bula Defense comes to mind, LRB, Smith Enterprises, Fulton. If I was going to go back to the M1A family I probably would probably buck up the cash and go with one of those.

All of these are forged receivers other than Fulton.

Springfield and Fulton are the only cast receivers in the bunch if that matters to you.

I’ve owned most of them and never noticed any differences in quality. The ‘old’ sa’s hold their value because they’re ‘pre-ban’.

Oh, my LRB barrel is INSANELY accurate! I built that one on a Fulton receiver with the balance being USGI parts.

Last edited:
I got the SA M1A1 loaded, I like it. I'm not into doing deep evaluation and I shoot for fun, so my opinion is only that

I bought a SA M1A loaded a couple of years ago. I really love the rifle and it has been 100% reliable. I like it so much I bought a SA scout Squad about a month ago.

Also own a SA M1A Loaded and it’s one of my most accurate iron sight rifle. I’m also considering a scout squad.

I;m seeing a trend, I've been thinking about getting a scout as well.

All of these are forged receivers
Bingo, yea, yea I know the old forged versus cast and I get it but for not much more than an SA you could get a forged receiver, thats the way I would go. Several years back JRA was making M14/M1a's with forged receivers, op-rods and such. I wish I would have grabbed one back then, I handled one and they seemed like very nice rifles. I'm not knocking the SA's at all, I've owned several over the years and all have been very good rifles.

Bingo, yea, yea I know the old forged versus cast and I get it but for not much more than an SA you could get a forged receiver, thats the way I would go. Several years back JRA was making M14/M1a's with forged receivers, op-rods and such. I wish I would have grabbed one back then, I handled one and they seemed like very nice rifles. I'm not knocking the SA's at all, I've owned several over the years and all have been very good rifles.

If I’m not mistaken, all the JRA’s are made by Bula and I believe that’s still the case.

The mods at the M14 forum are dick faces and kicked me off because they said I threatened someone (the guy ripped me off and I told him I was coming to get my money back…still have his Ohio address saved somewhere though.)

Anyway, I basically gave up on M14’s after that and I only have 4 left out of the 6 or 7 I had 🤪

Just 4 though and I’m not buying any more. 2 of the 4 I saved ARE early Springfield Rifles (coveted “5-line” heel stamps) and both are “pre-ban” like that means anything to me in Kentucky.

If you want to get a battle rifle, get one that was successful in battle. Like a FAL or a CETME.

Blasphemy!!!!

Dude, seriously…I think the M14 gets a really bad wrap. Some of it’s justified and some not.

Truth is, it had an INCREDIBLY along service life, but just NOT as a standard issue. It’s technically officially ‘still in service’ (sitting in a Marine Corps armory somewhere) as an M39 EMR.

So from 1957 until today…that’s quite a run, don’t ya think?

Blasphemy!!!!

Dude, seriously…I think the M14 gets a really bad wrap. Some of it’s justified and some not.

Truth is, it had an INCREDIBLY along service life, but just NOT as a standard issue. It’s technically officially ‘still in service’ (sitting in a Marine Corps armory somewhere) as an M39 EMR.

So from 1957 until today…that’s quite a run, don’t ya think?

I guess.

I'd still rather have a FAL, for ergonomics and reliability alone. You're pushing an uphill rock if you're going to try to seriously claim that the M14 was a successful design, given what the government's specs and expectations were.

I'm still not 100% clear on the OP's use case, but the truth is it's just very difficult for me to figure out what the M14/M1A does better than its alternatives. I'd give it the ergo edge over the CETME, I guess.

I guess.

I'd still rather have a FAL, for ergonomics and reliability alone. You're pushing an uphill rock if you're going to try to seriously claim that the M14 was a successful design, given what the government's specs and expectations were.

I'm still not 100% clear on the OP's use case, but the truth is it's just very difficult for me to figure out what the M14/M1A does better than its alternatives. I'd give it the ergo edge over the CETME, I guess.

I mean, it’s basically a ‘product improved’ Garand…so really almost a 100 year old design.

It’s Americas last wood and steel service rifle. You’re not a communist, are you ;)

I’d like to know what percentage of your collection actually has a ‘use’ other than enjoying. I’d definitely be at less than 20% with that number even as a former (and hopefully to be again) milsurp rifle competitor.

I’d like to know what percentage of your collection actually has a ‘use’ other than enjoying. I’d definitely be at less than 20% with that number even as a former (and hopefully to be again) milsurp rifle competitor.

That's a good point, and I do have firearms that I just simply enjoy owning, not using. So I can see that side of the argument. But I don't think that's what the OP's after.

That's a good point, and I do have firearms that I just simply enjoy owning, not using. So I can see that side of the argument. But I don't think that's what the OP's after.

I really need to start reading original posts a little better.

OP, the M1A is a garbage hunting rifle because they weigh a ton. They’re basically equivalent to an AK when it comes to mounting a scope…you can throw money at it to make it work, and it WILL work…but there are MUCH better options out there.

Glad I didn’t vote in his pole, lol.

Edit: if you end up insisting on an M14 platform, look into the Bula XM21 Scout. I had one and it was VERY accurate and the best M14 bar none to mount an optic to.

Last edited:
I need to hear both the good and bad about it.
it`s like to ask if a classic mosin is good or sucks. it is a classic rifle.
if you like it - get it. i like modern guns better and have them, but i saw enough of old guns too. i'm just not too attached to them, nor an idea of them - to actually pay for them.
an m1a is, like, damn, a colt king cobra. is it good or sucks? dunno, will never have one in my safe.

All the blah blah blah below is my reasoning to get the M1A (M14 if Bula). Reasoning aside, I think they are FUN to shoot and to me feel 'nice in the hand' when shooting. Of all my service rifles, I think the ergonomics of the M14 are best.

I have a self built Bula I put together with a USGI stock a few years back. I used a few 'as issued' tricks / tweaks taught to me which has it shooting as good as I can shoot anything with irons. Of all the rifles I have built and/or match conditioned, this is the one that I'll break my arm patting myself on the back LOL. OK not sub MOA, really no way in hell it could be, but it is consistently close if not under 1.5 MOA with irons. Sorry to whoever posted it but the comment that M1A match rifles need constant tuning to remain accurate isn't true. Take care of the barrel as you would any other rifle and clean and lube as required for any semi. Over the course of many years a wood stock might get compressed, fit a little looser, and negatively affect accuracy. That will take years and may not happen. They run cleaner than AR's, FWIW.

I took the Bula to Camp Perry Nationals last year and shot a perfect score in my first stage and only dropped 2 points for a 98 in rapids. Ambient was hot enough to get guys an ambulance ride for heat stroke and you could have fried bacon on my barrel after rapids. The 2 points I dropped were my fault, not the rifle's. I just clean it and shoot it, AND it is in a USGI stock that is as-issued legal (no bedding, no extra lugs on receiver, etc.).

I do agree that a standard barrel, non-match conditioned M1A is probably 2-4 MOA. Maybe closer to 2 MOA with some load development. My preference is for the forged Bula which can be bought for $2300 with a National Match barrel and walnut stock. It will be sub 2 MOA all day long. SA's are nice too- nothing wrong with those.

I guess.

I have an M1a loaded and a FAL. I’ve never understood the appeal of the FAL. The FAL has sights that are, at best, fair, and a trigger that is crap. The FAL also isn’t very accurate.

Internet folks love to praise the adjustable gas system on the FAL but fail to mention its issues: you have to adjust the gas system properly or it will be bad juju. It isn’t hard to adjust the gas system, but you can screw it up. If you give too much gas to the bolt carrier, you can rip the head off the case — hope you have a case extractor tool. If you don’t send enough gas to the bolt carrier, it will short stroke and the case can get jammed between the bolt carrier and the dust cover. Then you are in a real pickle. You might be able to shotgun it open and you might break the op rod in the process. Yes, I’ve had this happen.

Off-hand, the M1a just balances better for me. The FAL is too nose heavy.

I like my M1a for its nostalgia, but they are hard to scope and heavy. For your purposes, get a bolt gun - it will be lighter, more accurate, and easier to scope.

Bought one used in 2018 and have been a fanboy ever since. Runs great and very easy on the eyes. Mounted a scope and got MOA @ 300
yards. Gun got much heavier and , I think, lost some of it's soul with a scope mounted. Back to iron sights which I prefer. On a very good
day I can get 10 bullets on a paper plate at 300 yards. Fun to shoot. Easy to take apart. I really like mine.

Attachments

• 0427181227.jpg
    0427181227.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 16
Regarding hunting and weight of the M1A- depends on what type of hunting. Hunting from a blind or stand? Who cares. If covering many miles on foot- yes too heavy. I don't think OP is planning to stalk mountain goats in the Rockies.

You could always go hog wild and build something like this

I’m indifferent to the M1 umbrella as a “primary tool” rifle. You have an AR-10 already and that would likely serve you better hunting. But what do I know, I’m just a text generator on a web forum.

That said, I still aim to eventually buy some version of an M1 for cool factor.

I also have an AR-10. That is also a heavy boat anchor. But it is easy to scope and you can install a good trigger.

Back
Top Bottom