• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts most-armed towns

dupe. someone needs to just post the answers because I don't want to give these fear mongers any more hits.

Yes, the OP's link is a dupe, but thanks for presenting it like this.
I'm surprised Oakham isn't listed in the top 75.
It was #8 on another list I saw several years ago, I don't imagine it could have changed all too much.
Of course the MSM wouldn't dare compare this list side-by-side with a list of towns with the lowest crime rates, that wouldn't fit their anti-gun narrative.

More informative, and without slideshow: Comm2A - Licensing by the numbers

I wonder what accounts for the handful of restricted LTC-As that are issued in towns well-known to issue, and even to encourage people to apply for, unrestricted LTC-A.

It's also somewhat encouraging to see the high percentage of unrestricted LTC-As issued in towns marked "red" on the map. These include some towns that are "red" because they want a bunch of extra stuff, but where it seems you stand a good chance of getting an unrestricted LTC if you can supply what they're asking for.

I want to see the top 10 least armed.

BROOKLINE 0.12%
BOSTON 0.26%
CAMBRIDGE 0.32%
WATERTOWN 0.34%
SPRINGFIELD 0.38%
LOWELL 0.40%
ALFORD 0.40%
SOMERVILLE 0.46%
CHELSEA 0.47%
NEWTON 0.49%

I combined data from Comm2A and this site:
http://www.togetherweteach.com/TWTIC/uscityinfo/21ma/mapopa/21mapa3.htm

http://www.mahonkin.com/~milktree/guns/2014_licence_data.xls

EDIT: Apparently I wasn't paying attention, the Comm2A data is only licences *issued in 2014*

See below for data for *all* licences (as of 2010)

Last edited:
I'm going to find whoever invented the slideshow for websites and murder them very slowly and extremely painfully.

Hero defined. You would be bigger than George Washington!

Gawd I hate those things. Nothing drives me away from a site faster.

When you consider that most towns have a population where about half of the people are under 21, and then consider that the majority of gun owners are men, what it really boils down to is that towns with about 10% of the residents that own firearms equates to about half of the households in that town.

My town is on the list and I am not surprised. It seems that everyone i meet who lives off of 24, south of Brockton is a gun owner. Berkley, Dighton, Middleboro etc. is full of gun owners and lots of folks who do not have an ltc are hunters and have at least an FID

When you consider that most towns have a population where about half of the people are under 21, and then consider that the majority of gun owners are men, what it really boils down to is that towns with about 10% of the residents that own firearms equates to about half of the households in that town.

My town is on the list and I am not surprised. It seems that everyone i meet who lives off of 24, south of Brockton is a gun owner. Berkley, Dighton, Middleboro etc. is full of gun owners and lots of folks who do not have an ltc are hunters and have at least an FID
If you make a similar adjustment, and take into account all the college students, Boston's numbers are.... still pathetic

I wonder what accounts for the handful of restricted LTC-As that are issued in towns well-known to issue, and even to encourage people to apply for, unrestricted LTC-A.

It's also somewhat encouraging to see the high percentage of unrestricted LTC-As issued in towns marked "red" on the map. These include some towns that are "red" because they want a bunch of extra stuff, but where it seems you stand a good chance of getting an unrestricted LTC if you can supply what they're asking for.

Maybe that's all they applied for? I have had to tell a few people who where thinking of getting licensed, but not carry, to always go for the the best license. My saying is "buy more than you need and you will never need more" That's original, feel free to use it!

There is exactly one restricted LTC in my town...lol. I'm wondering what's up with that guy??

Looks like my town comes in at about 4%. Not great, but I honestly don't care that much...I'm just counting time till I can GTFO.

BROOKLINE 0.12%
BOSTON 0.26%
CAMBRIDGE 0.32%
WATERTOWN 0.34%
SPRINGFIELD 0.38%
LOWELL 0.40%
ALFORD 0.40%
SOMERVILLE 0.46%
CHELSEA 0.47%
NEWTON 0.49%

I combined data from Comm2A and this site:
http://www.togetherweteach.com/TWTIC/uscityinfo/21ma/mapopa/21mapa3.htm

http://www.mahonkin.com/~milktree/guns/2014_licence_data.xls

I think you pulled the wrong numbers. If you look at the Comm2A numbers they have in the table on their page, it only shows licenses issued in 2012-13. You need total numbers per town. If you look at this map, the numbers are there as you mouse over. For instance, they show Brookline at 0.9%

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/viewer?mid=zQTLV-f2yEos.kL7cnnCy_QHI

I haven't been able to find the total numbers anywhere in a spreadsheet or table.

They should come out with % of people with a license against those who are eligible. I'm sure in Springfield 50% are probably prohibited from owning a gun. Most likely exaggerated number. I also think you should be eligible or have a gun license to vote on gun laws.

I think you pulled the wrong numbers. If you look at the Comm2A numbers they have in the table on their page, it only shows licenses issued in 2012-13. You need total numbers per town. If you look at this map, the numbers are there as you mouse over. For instance, they show Brookline at 0.9%

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/viewer?mid=zQTLV-f2yEos.kL7cnnCy_QHI

I haven't been able to find the total numbers anywhere in a spreadsheet or table.

Crap... I misread the Comm2A table, I thought it was total licences. I didn't realize it was only those issued in 2014.

I was going to just multiply the numbers by six (since that's how long a licence lasts) but then the numbers would come out way too big.

so, through the magic of wget and perl and vi and regular expressions (computer wizardry, right?) I extracted the data from the above website:

http://www.mahonkin.com/~milktree/guns/2010_licence_rate.xls

Town'10 Pop All lic Ownership rate
Brookline 58,7325310.90%
Cambridge 105,162 1,055 1.00%
Boston 617,594 6,545 1.06%
Chelsea 35,177 487 1.38%
Lawrence 76,377 1,190 1.56%
Watertown 31,915 540 1.69%
Newton 85,146 1,441 1.69%
Somerville 75,754 1,497 1.98%
Lowell 106,519 2,195 2.06%
Worcester 181,045 4,086 2.26%

Last edited:
only 1 restricted in Tewksbury! i wonder if that's me, or someone else. i have a restricted one issued from lowell, but thankfully i escaped to the 'bury

Crap... I misread the Comm2A table, I thought it was total licences. I didn't realize it was only those issued in 2014.

I was going to just multiply the numbers by six (since that's how long a licence lasts) but then the numbers would come out way too big.

so, through the magic of wget and perl and vi and regular expressions (computer wizardry, right?) I extracted the data from the above website:

http://www.mahonkin.com/~milktree/guns/2010_licence_rate.xls

Town'10 Pop All lic Ownership rate
Brookline 58,7325310.90%
Cambridge 105,162 1,055 1.00%
Boston 617,594 6,545 1.06%
Chelsea 35,177 487 1.38%
Lawrence 76,377 1,190 1.56%
Watertown 31,915 540 1.69%
Newton 85,146 1,441 1.69%
Somerville 75,754 1,497 1.98%
Lowell 106,519 2,195 2.06%
Worcester 181,045 4,086 2.26%