• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts House bill 4121 on new gun law.

Just emailed everyone in the list, I forwarded them the message I posted in the thread about the gun laws with an additional "you're not my rep but"

I think emails are good but usually just receive some generic mass response. we need to call and write letters as well, just annoy them so much that they can't ignore or send some mass email response. keep their phone lines busy and mailboxes full.

Good luck with that. The NRA did not do anything for us in Ct. don't get me wrong, I still support them because if we lose on a National level it will be alot worse, but they will not waste their time on battle they know are a lost cause..
Most of the Northeast is a lost cause.

Good luck with that. The NRA did not do anything for us in Ct. don't get me wrong, I still support them because if we lose on a National level it will be alot worse, but they will not waste their time on battle they know are a lost cause..

Unfortunately writing of the Northeast as a lost cause is a bad strategy because it will spread like a cancer if left unchecked here.

Unfortunately writing of the Northeast as a lost cause is a bad strategy because it will spread like a cancer if left unchecked here.
Not necessarily. If the damned thing manages to pass and become law, it could provide us with a golden opportunity to challenge it on grounds of violation of the Second Amendment, all the way to the Supreme Court, just like Heller (Washington DC) and McDonald (Chicago) did, quite successfully.

Goal seem to be dead. That's why they don't have my money anymore

The list of bad laws that GOAL has stopped in HUGE. Devals 1 gun a month law, for example.

Unfortunately, the list of good laws GOAL has managed to pass is almost non-existent.

I just wrote to the reps and this is the mail response I got back. Fill em up.

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

[email protected]
The recipient's mailbox is full and can't accept messages now. Please try resending this message later, or contact the recipient directly.

Didn't someone type up a good summary of the proposed bill by section and the reasons it was bogus? I'd like to email it to a few people so they can write in, but can't seem to find it. I thought there was a thread on it.

Didn't someone type up a good summary of the proposed bill by section and the reasons it was bogus? I'd like to email it to a few people so they can write in, but can't seem to find it. I thought there was a thread on it.

By 30Mauser: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...nds-of-DeLeo?p=3950392&viewfull=1#post3950392

Removed the part about the fund raiser.

I am writing to express my position on Speaker DeLeo's new gun control proposals.

Although I support many of the mental health components of the proposal (although funding may be questionable), there are some untenable measures that are not only ineffective in the face of crime and accidental tragedies, but actually stand to expose the Commonwealth to expensive lawsuits on constitutional grounds.

Specifically, I oppose the following measures:

SECTION 7:
Doctors have no expertise and are in no legitimate position to speak to families about the "roles" of firearms in the home.

SECTION 15:
Stigmatizes the lawful commerce of firearms by requiring retailers to post suicide prevention information at each purchase counter. See points below for section 28.

SECTION 18:
Would outlaw the private sale of lawfully owned guns between licensed individuals who have already had extensive background checks to receive their licenses. Under current law, these are already limited to four (4) in a calendar year. This will have zero effect on criminals illegally selling guns to each other. Those currently trading paper bags of guns and money in a back alley will continue to do so. Where is proof of need for this change? There is virtually no record of straw purchase prosecutions in Massachusetts!

SECTION 19:

Gives arbitrary power to individual police chiefs regarding who can and cannot exercise their civil rights by changing the FID from "shall issue" to "may issue". There has been no evidence shown that demonstrates a problem with the statutory issuance of an FID card that this measure would fix. Rather than expanding "may issue" to FID cards, we should be expanding "shall issue" to LTC cards, based on proven standards already in place at the federal level regarding "prohibited persons".
Would deny a license to "aliens", which has already been found unconstitutional in the Fletcher / Haas case.
Would also deny a license to anyone who had ever been convicted of a misdemeanor for which a prison term of 1 year or greater was possible. This can include such things as:

• shoplifting (under $100)
  • operating an unlicensed child care program
  • first offense driving under the influence.

SECTION 28:

Stigmatizes gun owners by putting the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline number on LTC's. Why are gun owners being singled out when hanging and suffocation account for two-thirds of suicides in Massachusetts?

SECTION 30:
The LTC renewal form sent by DCJIS will now include an affidavit to verify if you have lost any firearms, or had firearms stolen, since your last renewal. What is the purpose of this affidavit when we already have existing law stating gun owners must report lost or stolen firearms? Should this pass, how do they plan on verifying this information since Massachusetts records only transfers of firearms and not any firearms that were brought into the state by people moving here?

The summary entry provided for this item also includes "guns acquired" which is not reflected in the language of the bill. Does this foreshadow a proposal for universal gun registration?

SECTION 32:
Gives the Attorney General authority to disapprove of any firearm on the Approved Firearms Roster. Given the current political climate in Massachusetts this is a scary proposition - should this pass it will give one individual the power to ban any and all firearms. This power to ban is unacceptable! Combined with Section 18, this would amount to confiscation without remuneration of lawfully possessed and safe firearms not on the roster, since they could no longer be sold privately.

SECTION 33:
Increases penalties for violation of firearms storage laws with new mandatory minimums and severe penalties including up to 15 years in prison. Why would we pass a "one size fits none" law, especially when we already have very strict storage laws which have not proven to do anything except remove personal choice for the law abiding? I can understand prosecuting a gun owner who behaves negligently in allowing their firearms easily into the hands of a child or other person that results in harm, but 15 years in prison for an adult who chooses to keep his/her firearm on the nightstand while sleeping, in a home without children or other unlicensed persons?? This is simply ludicrous.

SECTION 34:

Gives authority to the Colonel of the state police to determine who is suitable to become a certified firearms instructor.
Removes language recognizing nationally recognized firearms organizations.
Gives authority to government entities with very little experience on firearms education for citizens to establish a standardized curriculum for mandatory firearms safety courses.
Adds mandatory curriculum including suicide prevention and "harm reduction."
Adds mandatory live fire training. That would then disqualify Home Firearm Safety courses and Hunter Ed courses to be approved classes for licenses.
There is much to be concerned about with the above section... Although the quality of training classes certainly varies, has clear need been demonstrated to make such wholesale and costly changes to it?

Thanks again for your time in considering my thoughts on the matter.

Yours sincerely,

Very bad strategy! You don't treat brain cancer by focusing on the patients foot fungus. If you don't treat the cancer, the foot fungus is irrelevant.

Sent from the depths of Hell with TapaTalk V2

I will have to read the full text, but I did catch one paragraph that is an improvement:

SECTION 29. Paragraph (i) of said section 131 of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby amended by striking out the first sentence and inserting in place thereof the following sentence:- A license to carry or possess firearms shall be valid, unless revoked or suspended, for a period of not more than 6 years from the date of issue and shall expire on the anniversary of the licensee's date of birth occurring not less than 5 years but not more than 6 years from the date of issue, except that if the licensee applied for renewal before the license expired, the license shall remain valid after the expiration date on the license, until the application for renewal is approved or denied; provided, however, if the licensee is on active duty with the armed forces of the United States on the expiration date of his license, the license shall remain valid until the licensee is released from active duty and for a period not less than 90 days following such release, except that if the licensee applied for renewal prior to the end of such period, the license shall remain valid after the expiration date on the license, until the application for renewal is approved or denied.

However, there is no way for the gun shops to know if you have applied for your renewal or not, and will err on the side of caution and deny you any and all sales. Therefore, this section is flawed.

However, there is no way for the gun shops to know if you have applied for your renewal or not, and will err on the side of caution and deny you any and all sales. Therefore, this section is flawed.
It is flawed, but will prevent prosecution for possession on an expored LTC (currently a civil penalty), and remove the ability of PDs that "reach" for reasons to DQ (think Brookline) to use this as a suitability trap.

The FRB could program MIRCS to make this data available via the shops filing of sales reports, and validate these LTCs in real time. BUT, they have not done that for the existing grace period so I would not expect this to happen.

Three quick questions -

1. if FTF is no longer allowed - will we all be prevented from selling any non-compliant firearms (not on rosters and lists) to others in the state?

2. If we have to assert and prove why we need a permit to carry, are we going towards hunting / sport at the next renewal? And does that also impact our ability to keep pre-ban items we have

3. Assuming 1 and 2- is the outcome that we have to sell off all non-compliant firearms and to people outside the state?

Last edited:
Three quick questions -

1. if FTF is no longer allowed - will we all be prevented from selling any non-compliant firearms (not on rosters and lists) to others in the state?

2. If we have to assert and prove why we need a permit to carry, are we going towards hunting / sport at the next renewal? And does that also impact our ability to keep pre-ban items we have

3. Assuming 1 and 2- is the outcome that we have to sell off all non-compliant firearms and to people outside the state?

i think the big issue will be #1.

i think the big issue will be #1.

No cause some dealers won't give a **** thank god.

The big problem will be slapped with restrictions on renewal . My brother moved to Lowell and will face this no matter what when he renews. My home town is pretty green so I should be safe . But other towns might shift to restricting .

No cause some dealers won't give a **** thank god. The big problem will be slapped with restrictions on renewal . My brother moved to Lowell and will face this no matter what when he renews. My home town is pretty green so I should be safe . But other towns might shift to restricting .

The green town / red town shit won't matter when EOPS is making the suitability rules. Every town will be a red town.

It is flawed, but will prevent prosecution for possession on an expored LTC (currently a civil penalty), and remove the ability of PDs that "reach" for reasons to DQ (think Brookline) to use this as a suitability trap.

The FRB could program MIRCS to make this data available via the shops filing of sales reports, and validate these LTCs in real time. BUT, they have not done that for the existing grace period so I would not expect this to happen.
So that's one kernel of corn in the cow patty.

IMNSHO we should oppose the whole thing, at least to start with, even if there a few things that could be supported. It's called negotiating, and the pro-gun community tends to be very poor at it. Too often we put our final position on the table at the start by saying we'll support several items but no others. The antis then use that as a starting position to trim some of the egregious stuff out and claim we're being obstructionist when we don't support the resulting crap.

Back
Top Bottom