Massachusetts House bill 4121 on new gun law.

The green town / red town shit won't matter when EOPS is making the suitability rules. Every town will be a red town.

How can they even pass that without knowing what those suitabilities will be? Seriously, that leaves the whole thing open to abuse beyond comprehension. They could put language in there rendering EVERYONE in the state unsuitable. [angry]

(Ya, I know....they DGAF) [puke]

How can they even pass that without knowing what those suitabilities will be? Seriously, that leaves the whole thing open to abuse beyond comprehension. They could put language in there rendering EVERYONE in the state unsuitable. [angry] (Ya, I know....they DGAF) [puke]

I know it's a rhetorical question, but that's just how the bill is written. We have to pass it to see what EOPS comes up with for a suitability definition. Makes perfect sense if you hate gun owners.

How can they even pass that without knowing what those suitabilities will be? Seriously, that leaves the whole thing open to abuse beyond comprehension. They could put language in there rendering EVERYONE in the state unsuitable. [angry]

(Ya, I know....they DGAF) [puke]

actually, the best thing in the long term would be if everyone were found to be "unsuitable".
at least that can be challenged in court.

illinois did this w the FOID act years ago and recently losses in SCOTUS.

the problem w MA is the legislature is sneaky and purposely keep the statutes mirky so they cannot be clearly interpreted and therefore cannot be found unconstitutional or overturned.

The list of bad laws that GOAL has stopped in HUGE. Devals 1 gun a month law, for example.

Unfortunately, the list of good laws GOAL has managed to pass is almost non-existent.

Still, I'll still take that any day. Withough GOAL to stem the tide, lawful gun-owners in the Commonwealth would be screwed by orders of magnitude..

Last edited:
I already wrote an email to my local senator. Do your part. Thanks

Done! I learned about the bill at: http://goal.org/goal-response-may-30-2014.html
Then found legislator email at: https://malegislature.gov/People/Search
Then wrote the below.

Hello, I live in a house I own in Arlington, and I vote. Just a couple days ago in my town, convicted felon Billingslea raped and beat a woman in her home. I, and especially my wife, are very concerned about this. I have a firearms license, and my fun range hobby has taken on more significance as the attack has highlighted the need to be able to defend ourselves.

House Speaker Robert DeLeo has released H.4121, “An Act Relative to the Reduction of Gun Violence”. There are some good portions to this bill, but it needs several changes.

My wife and I plan to take courses on self-defense. Section 34 contains several provisions that will lower the availability of those courses by lowering the number of certified instructors. The NRA already has a solid system to certify instructors, no need to waste taxpayer money to overcomplicate this.

I own one pistol. Once my wife gets her license, she wants to buy a pistol for herself too. We want to buy the most reliable, accurate, best product on the market today. Sadly we can't because MA already makes the sale of many pistols illegal by not allowing them on the Approved Firearms Roster. We oppose section 32 of H.4121 which further complicates and restricts what we can buy.

We also oppose section 18, which bans private sales. Under current law, both the buyer and seller need to be licensed, which means both have had background checks, and a form FA-10 must be submitted. The process already has everything needed to track a sale and prevent illegal purchases. If the process isn't followed, it's already illegal.

We also are against sections 22 and 30 - the renewal process is required by law to take 40 days or less. I should not face a penalty for not renewing my license 90 days early. Reporting stolen/lost firearms is already required, this new provision is redundant.

We support sections 20, 27, and 29 - those mandate that a receipt is given when a license application is received, and that an existing license is valid until the renewal process is completed. I obtained my license when I used to live in Charlestown. It took 5 months, and calling to check on status only resulted in “should come soon” vague answers. More accountability in the process is needed, and lawful gun owners should not be punished for delays that are out of their control.

We support sections 37, 38 & 39 - I admit, I don't know what the current penalties for armed home invasion or armed carjacking is, but the longer convicted violent criminals can be prevented from harming others, the better. The fact that Billingslea forcefully raped multiple children in the past, and was free to rape again is horrible.

Sincerely,
xxx xxx

Any elected official publicly stating that this bill will do anything to reduce gun violence is doing a diservice to their constituentcy and the entire state.

Back
Top Bottom