Mass resident carrying in Maine

The drinking part is not relevant for camping in Maine. But I'm drinking with only my phone and do not want to search for the answer

Nothing loaded in a vehicle, nothing concealed. Maine is nice and easy. Apply for your non-res if your safety course was in the last 5 years, they require one and 5+ year old classes don't count.

I'm too lazy to look it up right now but I think there may have been some issues w/OC in Portland proper in the past. Don't know if anything "legal" is in place (or if any restrictions are even legal) but I thought I once read about the city trying something. Not sure where it stands and I could be crazy here.

If I were you, Id avoid the populations centers while OC'ing but thats just my opinion. There is a decent chance you will get unwanted attention in the middle of the city and its not that hard to throw a jacket or light button down shirt over it. In the sticks, or even outside of big cities, nobody is going to care.

Bad advice, as CC is illegal without a permit. So what if the police show up? OC is legal, period. Remain silent except to ask "are you detaining me or am I free to go?" Feel cool carrying a firearm on your hip. Repeat as necessary.

I am glad that people are asking these questions, At the same time it shows how conditioned they are to MasShiTchusetts Law, as if all the states are that way.

Contrasted to New Hampshit with laws that require a license for concealed carry. Good thing all the other states don't restrict personal liberties.

Ok guys enough with the your state sucks my state still sucks but is better than yours drama. This doesn't help the OP, who asked a pretty innocuous question.

-Mike

Just found this. Portland, ME...last year. Guess this sort of answers my question. [thinking]

Ok Maine is Bangor and north. South of Bangor is Mass.. Up here nobody cares if you walk around with a gun EXCEPT in the summer when the flatlanders are on vacation and flip out when they see us. Our local LE's are great folks and pay them no mind...

Nothing loaded in a vehicle, nothing concealed. Maine is nice and easy. Apply for your non-res if your safety course was in the last 5 years, they require one and 5+ year old classes don't count.

I've have one for several years including two renewals and they've never asked me about that or asked for copies. All I had to do was send a copy of my MA LTC, the application, two pictures, and a check for $60.00.

A friend of mine is from Maine and worked in Portland for a number of years. He still lives in the area and follows the goings on there. OC is legal in Portland and one former chief found that out the hard way. When he tried to push the issue, the legislature changed to the law to make it quite clear that OC is open everywhere in Maine. I forget the details, but as I recall it cost the city some money and it cost the chief his job.

Still, being a "big city" at least for ME and being a tourist destination for MA, CT, NY, and other stupid states, walking around OC in Portland might be more headache than it's worth.

Last edited:
I've have one for several years including two renewals and they've never asked me about that or asked for copies. All I had to do was send a copy of my MA LTC, the application, two pictures, and a check for $60.00.

Your MA LTC is proof of training, NH's is not. Likely a mileage may vary thing.

Great thread as I just went from MA to Kittery Trading Post to try and pick some ammo and I was in limbo on if I could carry or not. I chose just to put in my car safe unloaded so it was with me and figured I'd be fine if anything happened either way. I was able to score that last 3 boxes of 9mm hollow point which I haven't been able to find anywhere, and on top of that got to eat at one of my favorite places Loco Coco's Tacos.

Does anybody have a link on how to apply for NH and ME for conceal carry? I just find myself in those two states the most outside of MA and rather just put my gun on my side when I leave and not have to pull over before crossing state lines and store my gun.

Great thread as I just went from MA to Kittery Trading Post to try and pick some ammo and I was in limbo on if I could carry or not. I chose just to put in my car safe unloaded so it was with me and figured I'd be fine if anything happened either way. I was able to score that last 3 boxes of 9mm hollow point which I haven't been able to find anywhere, and on top of that got to eat at one of my favorite places Loco Coco's Tacos.

Does anybody have a link on how to apply for NH and ME for conceal carry? I just find myself in those two states the most outside of MA and rather just put my gun on my side when I leave and not have to pull over before crossing state lines and store my gun.

NH is easy just get the app fill it out, provide a copy of your license, throw in a check for $100, done. Maine on the other hand is cheaper ($65?) but it takes forever and the app is a pain in the ass in comparison. (needs safety cert or some bullshit)

-Mike

Last edited:

Open carry is legal here..

For CCW fill this out and send the required information in with it.. http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/documents/Weapons/non-resident application package.pdf

NH is easy just get the app fill it out, provide a copy of your license, throw in a check for $100, done. Maine on the other hand is cheaper ($65?) but it takes forever and the app is a pain in the ass in comparison. (needs safety cert or some bullshit)

-Mike
Are those costs per year?

I asked a Mass. state trooper if OC was legal in Mass a couple weeks ago. His answer..." I have no idea but I wouldn't do it "

Why would you ask, of all people, a police officer? BTW, This illustrates perfectly their incompetence in the area of firearms law. He'd probably cuff-and-stuff you for OC'ing, and before you know it your LTC might be gone for doing nothing illegal.

I would like to get mine also. Just to be sure I have this right, they need photo copies of my Ma ltc, my NH NR ltc, a 2x2 pic of myself, AND a copy saying I had a MA pistol safety course? It was just asked but no answer yet so I'll ask again. How long is the NR permit good for?

Greg

Nice!! For some reason I was under the impression that it was a year.

Probably because for some reason you got it confused with the shitty MA non-resident LTC, which is only good for a year. [laugh]

I haven't been around forever but for as long as I've known NH's has always been 4 years.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom