Mass-friendly Carry Pistol

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date
I love these threads.

A guy who’s fine with ten rounds and who is considering a Star BM for carry is probably not interested in a Shield or a Glock or a P365 or anything much else made of plastic.

I'm cool with people making suggestions. I used to pay very close attention to gun news and the latest and greatest updates in carry pistol development, but with law school, I simply don't have the time to research spreadsheets' worth of modern carry pistols and then X-ref with guns that have handicapped mags at non-insane prices. Like @daekken said, carry pistols are rather subjective, so I like reading what people think. NES lets me read chunks at a time quickly, rather than having seven tabs open, each with a different gun mag/blog saying exactly the same thing because each mag/blogger got precisely 15 minutes with the gun at SHOT Show and then says "we'll see what happens when these sweet shooting six guns (or some other weird idiom) hit the market!"

I was referring to an unrestricted non-resident license. Everything I've seen indicates that they are far more restrictive on those, but I don't know enough to say.

This may have been a reading comprehension fail on my part, since OP later said he was moving to Mass which would mean he would be eligible for a resident LTC. I am aware that being a resident lawyer gets you a free pass there.
Not a single person I know that has applied for a non-res over the last few years has been restricted. I'm sure they exist, but unless you have other complicating factors or put an utterly stupid reason for wanting the license on your application that boxes you in, I wouldn't worry too much. The only person I know of personally that would be restricted, for sure, is a green card holder. MA will only issue a "competition" restricted non-res to green card holders, which is what he wants it for anyway.

I was referring to an unrestricted non-resident license. Everything I've seen indicates that they are far more restrictive on those, but I don't know enough to say.

That is not my understanding. You have to make an argument as to why you should be unrestricted, but it isn’t like Boston where you have to document that you transport cash or valuables.

Don't listen to these amateurs

Bro, what you need is a TEC
8643762_01_pre_ban_tec_9_640.jpg

open bolt, full auto, 30 rd mag. Fits in your pocket. DONE

That is not my understanding. You have to make an argument as to why you should be unrestricted, but it isn’t like Boston where you have to document that you transport cash or valuables.

Not a single person I know that has applied for a non-res over the last few years has been restricted. I'm sure they exist, but unless you have other complicating factors or put an utterly stupid reason for wanting the license on your application that boxes you in, I wouldn't worry too much. The only person I know of personally that would be restricted, for sure, is a green card holder. MA will only issue a "competition" restricted non-res to green card holders, which is what he wants it for anyway.

Fair enough. As I stated, I didn't have enough understanding to say definitively. This is actually pretty surprising, but good to know.

OP, if you are interested, I’ve got Glock 19, 26, and 43x that you can try. Also Kahr K9, K49, MK9, and PM9.

Thanks for the offer!

I vote "worrying too much". If anything a bhp is plausible deniability land... much like a beretta, most of the mags are preban.

I was planning on buying an Israeli surplus BHP anyways just so I can have one or a few that I don't feel bad using and abusing. Do you think LEOs would even register what a BHP is in 2019? Like would they even know "hey, that has a 13-round mag in it" unless they personally took the mag out, looked at the witness holes, and started asking questions?

Lawyers get Moon Island Revolvers... unless you are a "Firearms Rights" Lawyer. Then you can have a Glock 18c... [smile]

maxresdefault.jpg

I was planning on buying an Israeli surplus BHP anyways just so I can have one or a few that I don't feel bad using and abusing. Do you think LEOs would even register what a BHP is in 2019? Like would they even know "hey, that has a 13-round mag in it" unless they personally took the mag out, looked at the witness holes, and started asking questions?

Remember, most LEOs aren't gun guys. They're likely to just go through the motions regardless of what you've got in your holster.

Part of why I suggested a Smith & Wesson 59 series earlier is because the overwhelming majority of the hi-cap mags available are preban, and known to be so. Your problem isn't what the LEOs do when they find your gun; your problem is proving preban status once the case goes further. That's harder for an HP. Unless you've got soemthing like Inglis mags (they stopped producing those in '44, I think, and they're marked), most any BHP mag could have been produced anytime up until last year, and I don't think they're marked much.

Remember, most LEOs aren't gun guys. They're likely to just go through the motions regardless of what you've got in your holster.

Part of why I suggested a Smith & Wesson 59 series earlier is because the overwhelming majority of the hi-cap mags available are preban, and known to be so. Your problem isn't what the LEOs do when they find your gun; your problem is proving preban status once the case goes further. That's harder for an HP. Unless you've got soemthing like Inglis mags (they stopped producing those in '44, I think, and they're marked), most any BHP mag could have been produced anytime up until last year, and I don't think they're marked much.

Now that you mention it, I realize there's a way to prove a BHP mag is pre-94. My modern BHP mags, which were made by MecGar, have the "mousetrap" spring that pokes out the bottom of the mag body near the floorplate. The purpose of the spring is to assist the magazine freely ejecting with the mag disconnect intact on the pistol.

Browning patented the mousetrap mag in... 1994.

Mec-Gar "Mousetrap Magazines" - Handguns and Ammunition Forums

13 rd. mouse-trap spring magazine - 1911Forum

US5353537A - Fire arm with mobile loader and loader for such an arm - Google Patents

Interesting.

But conventional mags were still being made on the aftermarket after 1994, I suppose.

Everyone always advises large frame pistols with 10 round mags for businessmen and lawyers and my advice is the complete opposite quite honestly. Keeping your day to day life in mind.

I mean, you're going to be fumbling about in briefcases, folders, cards, handing out business cards, cellphones most likely 2, and fumbling to rush to all kinds of places, messing with GPS, making sure you look presentable for clients. The last thing you want is some buffalo thumping Jurassic Park pistol. I think in your current situtation, the best bet is something concealed carry. Something unassuming in case people try to try you just for the fact you are carrying. And since you'll encounter a lot of high rollers and thugs alike. That is likely. And something small and convenient just for your comfort. I don't think a personal defense pistol should ever be big. If I want a shotgun, i'll get a shotgun. Sure in your personal day to day life you might want to step up. But let me tell you. Nobody needs anything more than a snub nose .38. A "sticky" brand holster. And 5 hornady critical defense rounds.

I forgot what user here said this, but it's a true fact. "I have seen plenty of ugly handguns, but I have never seen a truly ugly revolver" I think it might be The guy with the cop as a profile pic that has always helped me with advice. He's a cool guy.

But honestly a snub nose .38 is simply a sexy piece of hardware. And I know sexy doesn't save lives, but it makes pussies damp. Let me tell you lol. Who doesn't like a good old wheel gun. From Poker Players in the midwest, to old skool pimps. To 1980s cops all the way up to f***ing Billy the Kid and Clint Eastwood. All love the revolver. And my reccomendation is so small, you can fit it in your sock if you wanted. and it's fairly affordable.

163810_01_lg_0.jpg

I have one and it has never hiccuped or given me any ounce of trouble. It's so light you forget you have it sometimes. It's comfortable. Non intrusive. Nobody liberals look at you like "Damn, that guy has a gun. Let me call the POOOOOLICE" and best of all. It has a tried and true reputation of success in your profession. Lawmen and businessmen have carried one for years.

Also just for the record and i'm sure you already know. I don't think you are allowed to carry inside of a court house or prison. I'm not sure if this is untrue for lawyers.

Have a blessed day sir.

S&W Shield 9mm.
Nine round capacity, eight round single stack metal mags, metal sights and they are dirt cheap!
They are also made right here in MA!

My number one choice in a carry pistol.
Does everything you need and is a steal of a deal!

Last edited:
S&W Shield 9mm.
Nine round capacity, eight round single stack metal mags, metal sights and they are dirt cheap!
And they are made right here in MA!

Put an Apex kit it and you are good to go.

Four Seasons did my Apex install BTW.

If you love the hi power why not carry a CZ, maybe a P01 or Compact? CZ75 would have prebans but they don't fit the P01/Compact.

If you move to Mass get whatever free state models you might want cause anything you don't like you can sell for more than you paid.

S&W Shield 9mm.
They are also made right here in MA!

Have to agree with this although after 4, 9MM Shields and one .45 Shield, I couldn't shoot them accurate enough. LOL

Back
Top Bottom