• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass-friendly Carry Pistol

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67409

Need some advice from Mass guys.

I live in RI and this time next year, I will have sat for the RI + Mass bar exams. I intend to practice law in both RI and Mass. I have a 50/50 shot of my first post-law school job being in Mass or RI. Meaning I will be in courts in both states on a regular basis, depending on how the job chips fall.

My current go-to carry pistol is a Browning Hi Power Mark III. I love the BHP. I have a bunch of modern 13-round mags. Obviously these are not kosher to carry in PRM. I also want to replace the BHP from being my carry pistol because Browning/FN doesn't make the BHP any more and I want to keep this gun in excellent shape.

I am really not comfortable with the idea of carrying a pistol with pre-1994 mags in Mass in places where I'm bound to run into law enforcement. I don't need a policeman asking questions if I disarm (say for a visit to a prison to meet a client) and I have a BHP or a Beretta 92 or a Glock or a CZ75. Some mags, I can definitively prove "this is from before 1994." Other mags, not so much.

So my first question is am I worrying about the mag issue too much?

Second question is if I am properly concerned about the mag issue, which ten or less standard capacity handgun should I look into? I have a few options in mind:

*1911: I have no problem picking up a decent 1911, but saying "I want a 1911" is like saying "I want a car." I'd rather not carry something exquisite in case the pistol winds up in an evidence locker. So nothing over $600, $750. I would be fine carrying a 5" 1911.

*Walther P1: I've shot a P1 and I loved it. Pro: its a very nice DA/SA 9x19 pistol. Cons: backwards safety, Euro mag release, aluminum frame (P1s have a reputation for wearing out quickly).

*Walther PPK/S: I used to own a .22 PPK/S and I also loved it but I had to liquidate it and all my other guns a few years ago. Pro: very concealable. Con: very heavy DA trigger pull.

*Zastava M57A: I used to own two. Pros: similar profile with a 1911 and slim 9+1 capacity. Con: one of the M57As I owned FTE'd every mag when the mag didn't fall out onto the shooting table.

*Star BM: there's one for sale at a local gun store that I want to pick up anyways.

*A .357 revolver: I have close to no experience shooting revolvers.

Glock 43x, 10+1, slim, easy to conceal, u get a full purchase on it. But that does not mean you will like it. Everyone is different and likes different things

What DTOM said and also take a look at the Sig P365 too. Easy to conceal, decent grip/trigger, ten round capacity (12 in free state version).

I would think that even in a locked vehicle safe, bringing a firearm onto prison grounds would not be a wise idea, a courthouse or police station..... lock it in the car in a secured bolted or welded to the car safe.

If you walk into a police station or correctional facility in MA and think they are going to give you a place to store your weapon, I would suggest you reconsider your plan.

But a 43X is going to be perfectly fine in MA with standard mags and no +2 extensions. I assume they are available in RI for sub $500 NIB at your friendly neighborhood FFL

I would think that even in a locked vehicle safe, bringing a firearm onto prison grounds would not be a wise idea, a courthouse or police station..... lock it in the car in a secured bolted or welded to the car safe.

If you walk into a police station or correctional facility in MA and think they are going to give you a place to store your weapon, I would suggest you reconsider your plan.

But a 43X is going to be perfectly fine in MA with standard mags and no +2 extensions. I assume they are available in RI for sub $500 NIB at your friendly neighborhood FFL

Obviously all attorneys adhere to all court rules and requirements...

...However, attorneys have the ability to go around metal detectors in courts usually by showing their bar card. This is something I want to discuss over an adult beverage or two with experienced attorneys before I consider carrying as an attorney. Prisons are obviously a no-go and I'm familiar with the Mass case where a correctional officer attempted to lock up his carry pistol at the House of Corrections and his supervisor outed him.

My current go-to carry pistol is a Browning Hi Power Mark III. I love the BHP. I have a bunch of modern 13-round mags. Obviously these are not kosher to carry in PRM. I also want to replace the BHP from being my carry pistol because Browning/FN doesn't make the BHP any more and I want to keep this gun in excellent shape.
i was gonna suggest just buy 10 rounders, you're only gonna loose 3 rounds. not like a real hi cap where you'd loose 5 or 6. but that's irreverent now.

I'd rather not carry something exquisite in case the pistol winds up in an evidence locker.
a hi point or taurus would fit that criteria nicely. plenty of junk out there. :)

I am really not comfortable with the idea of carrying a pistol with pre-1994 mags in Mass in places where I'm bound to run into law enforcement. I don't need a policeman asking questions if I disarm (say for a visit to a prison to meet a client) and I have a BHP or a Beretta 92 or a Glock or a CZ75. Some mags, I can definitively prove "this is from before 1994." Other mags, not so much.

So my first question is am I worrying about the mag issue too much?
Keep in mind nearly all pistols have gimped mags available. Case in point, when I lived in MA my primary carry was a Glock 19 with 10 round mags. When I travel into MA, that is often my carry method as well.

Similarly, when I compete in MA I use 10 round CZ75 mags. I keep the 17 rounders for NH.
I have several 10 round P226 mags as well (but use a 20 rounder for home defense).

That said, with a reduced capacity you can "go smaller" if you want.
For me I want to try a CZ75 PCR pretty badly, since I think I'd like it.
I've also always fancied the H&K P30sk.

Other things I carry in MA: Makarov, LCP II.
I thought the LCP II was going to be an occasional, small carry option in certain circumstances, but it's so light and easy to grab on the way out the door, it's getting a lot of miles. Cheap (I think I paid $320 for mine), 6/7 round capacity (I carry two mags with it), gets the job done. Not a gun I'd take into WW3, but for something you will carry sporadically (size might be a bonus with dress clothes as well), and hopefully never need, might be something to look into.

Find a FEG BHP clone. Model PJK-9HP is a true BHP copy for $4-500 here in MA, and with excellent fit and finish. The only problem are the GI sights.

Or? A Smith and Wesson 59-series. The beauty of those is that there are plenty of prebans, and everyone knows it. Plus, if you get a stainless one, you can feel like one of the Reservoir Dogs.

Me, I carry a Colt 1911 Officers, a Randal 1911 full-size, a P938, or a Smith snubbie. They're all fine. Or, sometimes, a .455 Webley Mk IV. Like you, I've got old-skool tastes.

A S & W 442 revolver is a nice carry gun, IMO. .38 Special +p. It only holds 5 rounds but it's small, light and comfortable. And it's easy to carry a speed strip or moon clip with 5 more rounds.

Don’t forget you need a MA non-resident permit to possess a firearm in the People’s Republic.

So long as you have 10 round or less mags or pre-ban hi-caps carry anything you like. It doesn’t have to be MA approved.

Find a FEG BHP clone. Model PJK-9HP is a true BHP copy for $4-500 here in MA, and with excellent fit and finish. The only problem are the GI sights.

Or? A Smith and Wesson 59-series. The beauty of those is that there are plenty of prebans, and everyone knows it. Plus, if you get a stainless one, you can feel like one of the Reservoir Dogs.

Me, I carry a Colt 1911 Officers, a Randal 1911 full-size, a P938, or a Smith snubbie. They're all fine. Or, sometimes, a .455 Webley Mk IV. Like you, I've got old-skool tastes.

Your insight is pushing me towards a P1. I've shot one, I enjoyed it, I liked the DA trigger in comparison to other DA triggers (92, PPK/S, vz. 82). They're inexpensive. They're reliable.

So funny story about Webleys: when I was 21, I intended to buy a MkVI as my first pistol. But the then-price of $1000 for a unshaved .455 cylinder gun kept me away. Plus I couldn't find one to handle. So I bought a Glock instead. Never bonded with the Glock.

Don’t forget you need a MA non-resident permit to possess a firearm in the People’s Republic.

So long as you have 10 round or less mags or pre-ban hi-caps carry anything you like. It doesn’t have to be MA approved.

This.

You absolutely must have the non-resident LTC. There is no option for anything else here, and being a lawyer will not save you if they find it on you. Chances are also good they will restrict it, so you won't be able to carry anyway, but being a lawyer you might be able to finesse the state into giving you an unrestricted license. Truthfully, I don't know what the odds are of that. Someone else here probably could tell you, but that's outside my experience and knowledge.

The good news is, once you have your permission slip, you can carry whatever handgun you want. As far as magazines go, just be able to prove they're pre-ban if they're standard capacity. Otherwise carry 10 round cripple mags if you're paranoid about it.

Also, federal laws about carry in federal buildings and courthouses all apply, and no carry in a state courtroom. Make sure you lock it up in the parking lot before you go in. One of those little snap safe guys does the trick. Some MA courthouses do actually have limited storage options, but I wouldn't rely on it. Do be aware of transportation and storage requirements, since those are a big deal if you get caught breaking them.

This.

You absolutely must have the non-resident LTC. There is no option for anything else here, and being a lawyer will not save you if they find it on you. Chances are also good they will restrict it, so you won't be able to carry anyway, but being a lawyer you might be able to finesse the state into giving you an unrestricted license. Truthfully, I don't know what the odds are of that. Someone else here probably could tell you, but that's outside my experience and knowledge.

The good news is, once you have your permission slip, you can carry whatever handgun you want. As far as magazines go, just be able to prove they're pre-ban if they're standard capacity. Otherwise carry 10 round cripple mags if you're paranoid about it.

Also, federal laws about carry in federal buildings and courthouses all apply, and no carry in a state courtroom. Make sure you lock it up in the parking lot before you go in. One of those little snap safe guys does the trick. Some MA courthouses do actually have limited storage options, but I wouldn't rely on it. Do be aware of transportation and storage requirements, since those are a big deal if you get caught breaking them.

Just to be absolutely clear, I am 100% familiar with the non-res permit requirement and I would need both a RI and Mass carry permit as these two states have zero reciprocity with any other state. That being said, if I accept a job in Mass, I'll be required to be a Mass resident as part of the job. Meaning I would need a regular LTC. But I still have a year of RI residency to make a purchase before I would have to move.

I am not concerned about Federal buildings for the time being as there's a different bar for Federal court. I may be in Federal court or I may not. Its crossed my mind but how my career goes is going to make that determination. See post #5 for carrying into state buildings - RI also has a locker system for pistols.

Sounds like you don’t mind carrying a good size pistol.

I’m a Glock guy so I would go with a G48 or a G43x. They’re cheap and have Glock aftermarket support which is a big deal to me.

If I really wanted smaller I’d look at the P365. It’s trigger is pretty good and whil it’s new, I think it’s got some staying power; again, aftermarket stuff will be available.

If you really want cheap, a SW Shield is a really nice gun, especially for the price.

This.

The part I bolded is untrue. I don't know why so many people terrorize folks about getting unrestricted LTCs, it really isn't that difficult and lawyers/doctors generally get a pass on this.

Just to be absolutely clear, I am 100% familiar with the non-res permit requirement and I would need both a RI and Mass carry permit as these two states have zero reciprocity with any other state. That being said, if I accept a job in Mass, I'll be required to be a Mass resident as part of the job. Meaning I would need a regular LTC. But I still have a year of RI residency to make a purchase before I would have to move.

I am not concerned about Federal buildings for the time being as there's a different bar for Federal court. I may be in Federal court or I may not. Its crossed my mind but how my career goes is going to make that determination. See post #5 for carrying into state buildings - RI also has a locker system for pistols.
I have carried into numerous Mass courthouses and none that I've been in have more than a 4-gun locker for pistols. That can get filled up pretty quickly, so I wouldn't count on locking it up in a courthouse. What I've learned is that in some courthouses those gun lockers are not really secure, in one courthouse they put the gun in a manila envelope, seal it and put it in a file cabinet in a hallway, again not what I'd call secure considering the clientele that moves thru that area every day.

Your insight is pushing me towards a P1. I've shot one, I enjoyed it, I liked the DA trigger in comparison to other DA triggers (92, PPK/S, vz. 82). They're inexpensive. They're reliable.

So funny story about Webleys: when I was 21, I intended to buy a MkVI as my first pistol. But the then-price of $1000 for a unshaved .455 cylinder gun kept me away. Plus I couldn't find one to handle. So I bought a Glock instead. Never bonded with the Glock.

Holy crapoly.

“Couldn’t find an unshaved Webley, so I bought a Glock!”

is right up there with

“Couldn’t find a nice Gorgonzola, so I bought some cheez-whiz!”

I bought a Glock once. It was the 90s and everyone was buying a Glock, so I figured I should. Nicely made, excellent capacity, and I hung onto it for 12 years. I still don’t know why I kept it so long. Traded it for a 1911, natch.

I’ve got no experience with a P1 except that I owned a cool plastic one when I was about ten. I liked the ergos then, so I’m sure I still would. Stylish, that’s for sure.

The part I bolded is untrue. I don't know why so many people terrorize folks about getting unrestricted LTCs, it really isn't that difficult and lawyers/doctors generally get a pass on this.
This. I know four people that applied for non-res LTC including myself in the last three years and every single one got unrestricted.

Sounds like you don’t mind carrying a good size pistol.

I’m a Glock guy so I would go with a G48 or a G43x. They’re cheap and have Glock aftermarket support which is a big deal to me.

If I really wanted smaller I’d look at the P365. It’s trigger is pretty good and whil it’s new, I think it’s got some staying power; again, aftermarket stuff will be available.

If you really want cheap, a SW Shield is a really nice gun, especially for the price.
This is an example of try before you buy...

Lots of folks here and elsewhere unimpressed with P365 + the reported striker drag. Other people like them.
Similarly the Shield (I've shot four of them, variously upgraded inc. Apex, aftermarket sights, etc.) and it is either the worst or second worst pistol I've ever fired.

Pistols, especially carry pistols, are so utterly dependent on a person's tastes, body type, carrying method preferences, etc.
It's one of the reasons I don't want to buy a PCR before trying one, unless one pops up at an incredible price that I could basically offset if I had to sell it.

I love these threads.

A guy who’s fine with ten rounds and who is considering a Star BM for carry is probably not interested in a Shield or a Glock or a P365 or anything much else made of plastic.

I was referring to an unrestricted non-resident license. Everything I've seen indicates that they are far more restrictive on those, but I don't know enough to say.

This may have been a reading comprehension fail on my part, since OP later said he was moving to Mass which would mean he would be eligible for a resident LTC. I am aware that being a resident lawyer gets you a free pass there.

Back
Top Bottom