Mass compliant Ruger AR556 buffer tube.

Measured it to 9.5 inches from receiver. Is this a rifle length buffer tube? Do free states have carbine buffer length tubes?

Just bought a magpul fixed carbine stock and it don't fit. Wtf.

it's not the length of the tube... its the diameter. You probably have a mil-spec stock and a commercial tube. Or perhaps the other way around.

EDIT:
On second thought, 9 inches does seem long. It sounds like you may have a rifle buffer tube instead of a carbine.

Last edited:
151209611883597429754.jpg 15120958420021605382196.jpg bought the Mil spec FCS. Slides on easily enough, but the buffer tube is way too long. Do I just get a carbine length buffer tube or do I need a new spring/complete buffer assembly?

Last edited:
you'll need a new tube, spring and buffer. Might be cheaper just to go with an A2 style stock or something similar.

it's not so much mass-issue as rather just the way ruger is building their rifles. presumably it's running a rifle buffer then as well? none of this rifle length tube/buffer is necessary for a 5.56 although in .308 i'm a fan.

you'll probably just want to swap over to a carbine tube, spring and buffer. if it's carbine length i usually prefer a heavier buffer like an H2.

I think that guy is drilling a carbine tube to make the FCS stock longer? I'm running a rifle tube and was hoping to utilize the FCS to make my AR a little shorter.
If you're fine with the LOP with the Magpul stock on, you can do what he did otherwise if you want shorter you'll have to swap it out.

Castle nut not staked. Maybe someone swapped out the carbine buffer tube before selling the rifle. Also assuming it's not a 20"+ barrel.

I bought this new from four seasons. It's a 16 inch rifle, which I assume usually get carbine buffer tubes? I was thinking maybe the MASS ones are different. Anyone else own a MASS AR 556?

Some “Mass compliant” AR’s use a certain buffer tube which is carbine length depth inside but have an extra couple solid inches at the end, making it longer. It’s not compatible with what you’re trying to do, or with any aftermarket stock that I know of. Take it off and toss it in the trash.
For the stock you purchased, you need a mil spec carbine tube.

That's a long ass buffer tube, either a rifle length tube or ar-10/sr-25 tube.
My guess is it was cheaper for Ruger have a longer non-adjustable stock than a normal carbine tube with stops and a pinned adjustable stock.
Good news is that buffer tubes are cheap.

Ok, spoke with ruger tech support and the rifle has a carbine weight setup (I'm guessing spring and buffer). Lady didn't know anything about a super long buffer tube. Hoping i can just switch out the tube.

Installed a new carbine length buffer tube. New tube came with a spring and buffer that look like the ones in the giant stock ruger one. Will hopefully shoot this week.

Last edited:
Ok, it works. If anyone else has to go through this, you need to get rid of the extra long AR556 carbine buffer tube, and replace with an authentic carbine buffer.
Thanks for the help.

That's a ****in weird receiver extension.

Can I ask, does that take a full length rifle buffer, like an A1/A2 style would?

I've honestly never seen one like it... Where'd you get it? Is it on a .308?

Stock MASS Ruger AR556.
I replaced the tube with a normal length carbine buffer and accessories.

.556/.223

Stock MASS Ruger AR556.
I replaced the tube with a normal length carbine buffer and accessories.

.556/.223

It must've shot very soft. I always trained on carbines but 5.56 and .300 with a rifle buffer has a really low felt recoil that I appreciate.

When you say "MASS" that means it was made specifically to be MA compliant before the Maura BS? What was on there before? Did it have multiple positions, or just one hole?

I think it was orig. a special super long carbine tube that had been blocked off to run a carbine spring/buffer.

Mass compliant yep. Just one pinned hole.

Back
Top Bottom