• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Marlin 45-70 lever action. Good gun?

Sexy as hell, laminated stock, supposedly fewer than 10 rounds fired. Assuming it's stock, is it a good gun? Reliable? What are they worth?

What I know about lever action guns is "they're cool". I know it isn't cheap to shoot, definitely not a plinker, not worried about that, just don't want to buy it and find out I bought a pig in a poke.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Made by marlin or Remington?

If marlin then well worth it.
If Remington then have someone familiar with 1895s take a look at it.
Remlins have had some good and some bad.

Made by marlin or Remington?

If marlin then well worth it.
If Remington then have someone familiar with 1895s take a look at it.
Remlins have had some good and some bad.
Seller told me it's a Marlin, I didn't know there was a Franken-Marlin. How can I tell? It's new-ish, maybe a couple of years old, certainly no older.

what the cost is might be helpful. Colt 45-70 is as fun AF to shoot from a lever gun. If it feeds and doesn't look to be shot out, I say go for it.

I'm not adding ANY MORE CALIBERS.
Definitely not shot out, comes with the first box of ammo partially shot. I'm not adding calibers either, probably sell my 30-06 to partially fund it, I have about 250 rounds of factory ammo to sell also. So I'll have a spot in the ammo safe... At least that's my justification:)

Price? Asking $600, hopefully I can get him down a little. But it's not worth saving $25 or $50 to be a skinflint. No offense to Dr Grant :)

Good enough for Chris Pratt in Jurassic World.

Beat me to it! Might be a little light for T-Rex, but would take a raptor down. It would take down anything on the planet, probably. It might be a little wanting for an elephant, but not if the shot was well placed.
Recoil will be stout.
jurassic-world-chris-pratt-slice-600x200.jpg

If it's a couple years old it's from the Remington era. Check to see if made in Ilion, NY- that would be the supposed Remlin. I think most of that discussion is BS- there may have been a couple early ones with problems but most people just buy them and shoot them. $600 probably a decent price for one with a laminated stock. Has the big loop lever? Another plus.

If it's an older Marlin-Marlin with the 'JM' stamp on the barrel, it's a very good deal at $600. If it is also ported, you are stealing it for $600.

On my wish list and I've been watching these for years. I'd like an older ported model but would be perfectly happy with the 'Remlin' stainless / laminated stock version. I already have the .458 SOCOM which uses the same projectiles as the .45-70.

I like the .45/70 and own several. There are 3 categories of loads. Drop me a line and I'll explain or you can look it up on line or in a loading manual.

Sexy as hell, laminated stock, supposedly fewer than 10 rounds fired. Assuming it's stock, is it a good gun? Reliable? What are they worth?

What I know about lever action guns is "they're cool". I know it isn't cheap to shoot, definitely not a plinker, not worried about that, just don't want to buy it and find out I bought a pig in a poke.

Thanks!
Mondern ones are worth wht ever the market is.....blasting 450 grain slugs at 1600fps is wicked fun

A friend of mine had one. Pretty sure it was a Remlin. Fun as hell with a compressed load of 2F and a cast lead slug.

The remlins they're turning out now are okayish. Remington finally ironed out the worst of the qc issues.

A JM stamped Marlin would be a total steal.

So in order of preference... JM stamped Marlin, older Marlin, newer "Remlin"? What were the issues with the "Remlin" rifles? How can I tell pre-purchase A) Whether it's an older Marlin or the Remlin (are the Remlins ONLY produced in Ilion?) and B) If it's a Remlin whether or not it has/will have issues? And what exactly were the Remlin problems? Are whatever the "problems" are fixable or will I potentially be stuck with a POS?

Beat me to it! Might be a little light for T-Rex, but would take a raptor down. It would take down anything on the planet, probably. It might be a little wanting for an elephant, but not if the shot was well placed.
Recoil will be stout.
jurassic-world-chris-pratt-slice-600x200.jpg

Someone let me try a shot out of theirs at the range.
It's no powder puff , but not near as bad as I had expected.
Been eyeballing that exact set up, come on power ball.

Type this into google: Remlin 45-70

Lots of relevent thread reading to be had.

Or keep baiting your hook here...

I’ve shot 45-70 revolvers and they are pretty cool. I’ve also shot a Sharps rifle in the same. Haven’t had access to a lever gun yet.
I have a guy wanting to sell me either a Henry Big Boy in .44 magnum or a Marlin in .44 magnum. Both are like new, but are older ones. I cannot decide which one I want.

I’ve shot 45-70 revolvers and they are pretty cool. I’ve also shot a Sharps rifle in the same. Haven’t had access to a lever gun yet.
I have a guy wanting to sell me either a Henry Big Boy in .44 magnum or a Marlin in .44 magnum. Both are like new, but are older ones. I cannot decide which one I want.

Marlin hands down.
You can’t buy JM Marlins anymore. You could get a Henry any day of the week.

I picked up the 1895 abl 3 weeks ago. I put a box through it 3 days later. Does not have a JM stamp on the barrel. Or if it does I cant find it nor do I care. The fit and finish are great. it fired flawlessly and the action was very smooth. A blast to shoot and I love it. Buy it! KIMG0902.JPG

If you can find the JM stamped barrel then that would be absolutely wonderful. I have the .44 mag and it’s a dream come true. These larger caliber lever action carbines are sooooo sweet.

Thanks!
Great now I gotta get several.

I have two Marlin 45-70's. One long barrel one carbine in SS. Both are sweet to shoot. Not that back of a recoil on them. I love the 45-70 round, also have some trapdoor models, rifle and carbine and a sharps carbine. All fun to shoot.

I personally wouldn't be too worried about any problems with this gun. It is sexy as hell and built to last. They retail for around $1,000 - $ 1200 depending on where you buy, so $600 is a hell of a deal. If you want one of these in your collection I say go for it!!
Hell, for that price, if you don't take it I might be asking you for sellers contact info so I can buy it!

So in order of preference... JM stamped Marlin, older Marlin, newer "Remlin"? What were the issues with the "Remlin" rifles? How can I tell pre-purchase A) Whether it's an older Marlin or the Remlin (are the Remlins ONLY produced in Ilion?) and B) If it's a Remlin whether or not it has/will have issues? And what exactly were the Remlin problems? Are whatever the "problems" are fixable or will I potentially be stuck with a POS?

Pre-Remington Marlins have the JM stamp on the barrel. Not completely sure how to tell date of manufacture for the Remlins. Probably could tell by running the serial number. Anything brand new would probably be okay, but if it was built immediately after the buyout then you can guarantee that it's shit.

From what I understand they invested a lot of money in upgrading the manufacturing equipment and tooling to solve a lot of the QC issues. Not sure how true that is, since I haven't handled one since the merger. I'd see if you can try it out. Put a box through it and see how it feels.

Pre-Remington Marlins have the JM stamp on the barrel. Not completely sure how to tell date of manufacture for the Remlins. Probably could tell by running the serial number. Anything brand new would probably be okay, but if it was built immediately after the buyout then you can guarantee that it's shit.

From what I understand they invested a lot of money in upgrading the manufacturing equipment and tooling to solve a lot of the QC issues. Not sure how true that is, since I haven't handled one since the merger. I'd see if you can try it out. Put a box through it and see how it feels.
I didn't know ANYTHING about the merger or tooling or QC issues. Glad I posted, but sounds like the issues are mostly resolved and if it's a new (last couple of years?) manufacture I should be fine. What I was told was its a year old max.

Based on all the responses it looks like I have a call to make. I'll post pics and details when I bring her home:)

We have two great threads on this very subject over in Firearms.

And you guys that love to use the term "Remlin" are the same guys who can't help but always mention that a tomato is actually a fruit. Aren't you?

Back
Top Bottom