Manual Case Trimmer Recommendations

I'm in the market for a manual case trimmer, that will allow me to trim several different calibers with precision. After looking at what's available via Midway, Brownells, etc. it seems that there are two price points, trimmers with a micro adjustment and ones without for about half the price.

I'm on the fence about buying something like a Redding 2400 or L.E. Wilson w/Micrometer trimmer or a Hornady Cam-lock trimmer for half the cost. I admit I'm leaning towards the higher end trimmers, as I've been in the "buy once" mind frame lately.

I'm interested in hearing from the fellow NES reloaders who have first hand knowledge of these types of trimmers. Thanks in advance.

Right now I'd be reloading rounds of .223, .300 AAC, .308, and 7.62x54R, with the exception of expanding out to one or two other rifle calibers in the next year.

I use a Lyman manual trimmer. pretty much universal, comes with several pilots, .22 to .44 calibers and several in between. low cost and works well for the few times I need it. just pulled it out to trim .357 herrett cases I just made from 30 30 cases. first time I've had to use it in months. I don't need it enough to buy a better one.

I do not know what you expect for precision from the case trimmers.
I have 3 models that all appear to be darn near close to the same in design and quality
Reading universal stye, RCBS trim pro and lyman universal. they are the standard lathe style. Only stand out difference is the case holding design. now im not trying to be overly accurate all three have a 2 level adjustment. A coarse inner adjustement then a finer outer ring adjuster all locked down with allen lock screws.
All have what I would consider noticable run out. How much is to much I dont know. I use the RCBS pro as its the easiest for me to use. Plus the cutter just cuts that much better than the others.

I also have a lee trimmer. It mounts on a press and you insert the crank/cutter and let it rip. It works well but makes a mess of my press and bench.
im not sure the rifles and my skills need a more accurate trimmer but I dont know whats offered at the higher lever of case trimming shy of a real lathe or mill?

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a Lyman manual trimmer. pretty much universal, comes with several pilots, .22 to .44 calibers and several in between. low cost and works well for the few times I need it. just pulled it out to trim .357 herrett cases I just made from 30 30 cases. first time I've had to use it in months. I don't need it enough to buy a better one.

I too use the Lyman. Same usage. Does what I need it to do.

I use the lee cutter and lock stud for 30 carbine and eventually 7.5x55 swiss (if/when the cases actual grow beyond the trim length...). Works VERY well and is VERY cheap $$. Just chuck the shell holder into a cordless drill...Then for chamfering/deburring I use a Lyman case prep tool. This is definitely not the way to go if you need to trim 1,000 cases per month but is perfect for my needs.
CaseConditioning(1).jpg

Then for 30-06 and 223, I bought the Giraud tri way trimmer. Works well if you consistently resize your brass. Saves a lot of time since it trims/chamfers/deburrs all in one step. I haven't been using it much since I'm still blasting through the rest of my factory 30-06 and 223 ammo...
http://www.giraudtool.com/Tri Way Trimmer.htm

I own a couple of the Lee cutters, just don't work well for me. I had used one for my .223/5.56 cases but very slow. I could see chucking the shell holder would make it faster but these weren't made for any quantity, more like the guy who had 20 cases to trim. hey, whatever works for ya.

Wilson and be done with it...
I have the 2400 and it was the best of all the lathe type trimmers I have used over the years, it's collecting dust on the shelf, I haven't used it in at least five years or more. I'm not a high volume re-loader with regards to rifle ammo so the Wilson fit's me perfectly.

Last edited:

Same here. I got it because I too was trimming 30-30 down to 357 Herrett. I'd use a small pipe cutter to cut the case "close enough" and finish it off on the Lyman. I have a master case for everyrthing I might need to trim, so I just loosen up the collet, chuck up a case and lightly touch the cutter head to the case mouth and tighten everything up. Seldom need to readjust.

First, thanks for all the quick responses thus far.

mac1911, Stape, & AyeR15, are you referring to the Lyman Universal Trimmer with 9 Pilot Multi-Pack?

LYMAN_TRIMMER.jpg

yup

- - - Updated - - -

Only issue I've had is trimming 45-70, the case head is too big, but thats not a high volume round for me and really doesn't even need to be trimmed, so when I do, I manually trim those with a cheap Lee hand trimmer.

I'm in the market for a manual case trimmer, that will allow me to trim several different calibers with precision. After looking at what's available via Midway, Brownells, etc. it seems that there are two price points, trimmers with a micro adjustment and ones without for about half the price.

I'm on the fence about buying something like a Redding 2400 or L.E. Wilson w/Micrometer trimmer or a Hornady Cam-lock trimmer for half the cost. I admit I'm leaning towards the higher end trimmers, as I've been in the "buy once" mind frame lately.

I'm interested in hearing from the fellow NES reloaders who have first hand knowledge of these types of trimmers. Thanks in advance.

I just bought a Lee. It was around $10. Used it with the drill, trimmed 100 45/70 cases to 2.095. You can custom order the length. I love it. Easy, accurate, simple.

Here: http://www.brownells.com/reloading/...1fc110&gdfms=9F9389CF4F3E4B75B10AC5E83DF46F0C

And here: http://www.brownells.com/reloading/...ement-cutters/cutter-lock-stud-prod54228.aspx

I did a lot of research before going with Lee. I was looking st expensive micrometer cutters...Lee just made sense and for the price even if you don't like it, it is the cost of one box of 9mm.

Kittery Trading Post has a lot of calibers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom