Mansfield, MA "Mini" Appleseed June 13

Hey, I'm not criticizing - I think it's great that you got that to match your pink rifle. It's YOUR rifle; there are not many like it, but it is yours... [smile]

Just remember... something shot with a pink rifle is just as dead as something shot with an evil black rifle. Any difference lies in the RIFLEMAN wielding the rifle.

Hey, I'm not criticizing - I think it's great that you got that to match your pink rifle. It's YOUR rifle; there are not many like it, but it is yours... [smile]

Just remember... something shot with a pink rifle is just as dead as something shot with an evil black rifle. Any difference lies in the RIFLEMAN wielding the rifle.

Oh I know. Let's just hope my practice with it last weekend pays off. Since tomorrow will be my 2nd time shooting it. But any day shooting is a fun day so I am excited.

How many rounds to bring?

I realize we wouldn't be using as much as a full two-day shoot but how much is recommended?

There are NO bulk packs of .22 at either the Dicks or Walmart in Framingham currently.[sad] I have some stashed and will check later, but I need to know if I need to make a run out tonight.

I realize we wouldn't be using as much as a full two-day shoot but how much is recommended?

There are NO bulk packs of .22 at either the Dicks or Walmart in Framingham currently.[sad] I have some stashed and will check later, but I need to know if I need to make a run out tonight.

I found bulk packs down at Bass Pro Shops last week but they were pretty picked over for .22 ammo.

I'd love to come if there is still room. It will be great to sight in my garand providing that centerfires are welcome?

ATTENTION OUT-OF STATERS:

I have uploaded the flyer for this event in the first post. Print this out and carry it with you. You need this to legally bring your rifles into MA. Let me know if you need a different format.
Don't forget our AWB.

The sun is out down here. Looks like a good day of shooting is ahead!
I plan on being there at 11.
See ya all there!

What a great day!

Fantastic time!

Thanks to Fred our host as well as Jon, Crak, Len and Dwarven1 for their attentive instruction.

My girlfriend and I had a great time, learned alot and definately plan to practice until we earn "rifleman" badges.

I urge any fence-sitters to definately take the opportunity to learn marksmanship in a safe, informative and most important: fun atmosphere.

Yes - Big thanks to the Appleseed Crew and to MF&G Club for hosting.

I shoot better slowly than quickly - my Ruger bbl heats up and spins shots out to wherever (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

I need more practice. It wasn't as social as I thought it might be but I'm glad I met the folks I did talk & shoot with.

I shoot better slowly than quickly - my Ruger bbl heats up and spins shots out to wherever (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

I need more practice. It wasn't as social as I thought it might be but I'm glad I met the folks I did talk & shoot with.

Ya wanna socialize, ya go to an NES shoot. Ya want to learn to be a Rifleman, ya come to an Appleseed Shoot [wink]

Some things I learned today: 1. I am out of shape. 2. I am not a good shot (yet). 3. There is more than just seeing the target and shooting at it. 4. The people from NES are SOLID. 5. It's can throw you for a loop when shooting next to a Garand, but you get use to it pretty quickly. It was actually a great learing experiance. 6. I will attend a full Appleseed...no way around it. 7. Time flies when your having a friggin' blast. 8. Safety, safety, safety. 9. I want to be good, not lucky. 10. MassGun is a show off. (j/k...he had high score) Thank you to Mansfield F&G for holdinig the event and Fred for setting it up. Jon, Ross, Crak and Mr. Conneticut (I forget your name....I appologize), you guys did a great job holding the line. A special thanks to Ross for working on my rifle and kicking me when I needed it. I went to my club after and am just getting home. I couldn't wait to practice what I learned. Now I even know how to sight it in [grin].

Just want to say thanks to Jon, Crak, Len and Dwarven1 for providing first class instruction on rifle shooting and a little history on the early days of the American Revolution. I also want to thank Fred (50BMG) for hosting this event and for providing a prize of a year's dues in NES for the high score (shot by me)[grin].

I would recommend anyone wanting to learn the fine points of rifle shooting attend an Appleseed event. I also recommend you start doing some stretching exercises before attending, especially if you're on the older or just out of shape side, I'm feeling a bit sore right now!

I had great time today! Thank you to everyone. I definitely will be attending a full Appleseed and bring some friends along. It was nice meeting you all and I hope to see everyone at a future Appleseed shoot!

I want to thank each and everyone of you who attended today's mini. Hosting events like this is really the purpose of a gun club. Even though I didn't get to shoot, or RSO[wink], I had a blast watching everyone. Folks really seemed to enjoy themselves. One suggestion for next time, let us feed ya. It was a perfect day for a cookout.
I was also glad folks took me up on staying hydrated. You shoot better when you keep your body cool and hydrated. Don't believe me read the Army's marksmanship guide.

For those that received the polo shirts....wear them with pride.......also JonJ a big thanks for keeping the sign up going and putting this on.

Again it was great meeting you all and hopefully you now see I am not an uniformed (LEO)goon as another member thinks I am.[wink]

Last edited:
A special thanks to Ross for working on my rifle and kicking me when I needed it. I went to my club after and am just getting home. I couldn't wait to practice what I learned. Now I even know how to sight it in [grin].
You're welcome for both!!

I'm thrilled to see you post that you now know how to sight in your rifle. Shows a concrete skill gained today!

Those of us who volunteer for Project Appleseed truly believe that the road to saving our country lies in a citizenry that knows it's history, and that knows how to be a Rifleman. Now, you may never fire a shot in defense of your country... but you now know yourself better, you know the value of hard work, and you know that you can't fool your target... and, one would hope, you'll be less likely to try and fool yourself - about anything. Responsibility? Yup, that's part of the program - we gave you the responsibility of being safe, of making sure your fellow shooters were safe... Sure, it may be a little subtle and a bit metaphysical, but it works.

Many thanks to all the nineteen shooters who came out today to listen to us and learn from us. Keep going, keep going... Project Appleseed is still in it's infancy. We NEED you people to keep growing. You'll shoot Rifleman one day... and you'll be hearing about the great history of April 19th, 1775. And once you have two Appleseed Shoots under your belt... on the day that you DO find out that you're a 4 MOA shooter - a RIFLEMAN - on that day, we have an orange Instructor In Training hat for you.

Because, you see, once YOU can do it, we need you to help us train OTHERS. How do you think that JonJ, Crak, LK3RD and I got our hats? And why?

Because we want to pay this forward - we need to make more riflemen - and we need to wake up our sleeping American brethren who are dozing on the sofa in front of the TV (or perhaps in deck chairs) while our ship of state blithely sails into an iceberg. (if you think I'm exaggerating, just reflect a bit on whether or not you're happy with the path this country is taking. If you are, fine - move along, nothing to see here. If you're not... www.appleseedinfo.org. Sign up for your next shoot now. Bring a friend. Bring three friends. We'll find room for them on the line.)

As a very pleased observer of today's event, I'd like to make a few observations based on my 50 years of shooting. I was the short guy in the red Hawaiian shirt who stood behind you all for 5 hours today taking it all in.

The Appleseed program I witnessed for the first time today is incredibly filled with effective and and solid training. Jammed into a short period, instruction and hands-on practice today moved some from novice shooters to knowledgeable and effective riflemen and rifle women. All of you progressed in leaps and bounds.

I was truly impressed seeing you all progress faster than I saw my fellow shooting comrades while in Army Marksmanship training. This is a no nonsense, get to the point course of instruction that I would recommend for anyone who has not had formal, quality professional training in the Military or elsewhere. It easily rivaled the training I received in the Army 40 yeas ago that helped me to qualify.

Some new shooters I see never get beyond the point of shooting badly off a table, never mind learning the basic shooting positions and how to use them correctly like you folks did today. All of you can be proud of what you accomplished today. You all worked hard. It isn't an "easy" "socializing" day, as someone pointed out. You worked through sweat and discomfort and your own doubt, and accomplished wonderful results.

A lot of credit goes to the crew from Appleseed who instructed and monitored your class today. They didn't let you take the easy way out. They didn't let you compromise your effort or do things halfway like sometimes happens in informal training with friends. You got shown and told and re-told how to do things. You sometimes were prodded and even softly kicked into position to make sure you absorbed the best form and techniques YOU are capable of performing.

Keep on practicing those techniques and concentrate on form and what you were taught today, and you will go further than you ever imagined in you ability as a marksman. The amount and quality of the instruction and practice you got today is remarkable.

Chris, Len, John and Ross donated their time to share their skill and experience with you. You are fortunate to have had such selfless and dedicated people to train you today. They really did an outstanding job. I congratulate them and admire their efforts.

I'd also like to thank Fred (50BMG) for helping to bring this program to our Mansfield club. Fred is there for long hours on his own time, just to make sure the sport he loves grows and continues so others can enjoy it as much as he has for over 30 years. It isn't only today, helping a bunch of newbies, but all the time, dedicated to giving and helping. Other club member helped behind the scenes and I thank them too. Not every club will cut down their benches and stuctures just to make things work better.

What I saw today on all sides was a truly exceptional effort by all to succeed and learn.

Thanks for giving me the privilege of observing. It was a pleasure to meet many of you, and to watch the smiles grow an your faces as you realized your own potential.

Bill

Last edited:
I could not attend this shoot.[frown] However I did get to pull the trigger today on the 100 yard range, but not before I took a few shots of the training going on. Ross was serious when he said, "Ya wanna socialize, ya go to an NES shoot. Ya want to learn to be a Rifleman, ya come to an Appleseed Shoot." I felt a bit in the way taking these shots so I just moved on.

With the exception of Ross, I am unfamiliar with anyone in the shots. You will have to call our your names.

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

big thanks to everybody that made this happen! I had such a great time learning how to shoot as a rifleman...definitely going to sign up for a full Appleseed in the near future, I wish I could make it to the athol shoot...it was great meeting everyone today

This a great experience. The Appleseed staff and MFG did an excellent job. I particularly enjoyed the history lesson. June4th's account of his experience in the crackdown in Tiananmen Square square was moving.

Yesterday was a lot of information jammed into a pretty short amount of time. At a full Appleseed, you'd have lunchtime on both days, camp out at most locations if you want to to socialize and relax some.. plus a lot more history and practice time.
Anyway, thanks to all who attended yesterday. It was my pleasure helping out, meeting a bunch of nice folks. I get as much out of it as you guys and girls do. It's very gratifying helping people to learn this skill, and seeing how much progress can be made and how happy and proud(rightly so) shooters are when they do well.
Down on my side of the line, we had a mix of shooters from experienced and exceptional shooting, to completely new. Everyone made improvements(some HUGE improvements) and hopefully enjoyed themselves :)

Having digested yesterday's lessons and experience - and worked on breathing and mentally going over the 6 steps - I'd like to suggest a follow up shoot if possible...give us a month to practice our lessons and then let us shoot that damn AQT thing again.

If you're reading this and have not attended an Appleseed shoot - go check out the Athol event happening next week!

Back
Top Bottom