Mansfield, MA "Mini" Appleseed June 13

I'd like to thank Fred (50 BMG) the President and Activities Director for the Mansfield Fish & Game Club for all his help and support in sponsoring this Mini Appleseed. I approached Fred about a month ago to see if the club would support an Appleseed. We decided to start with a Mini and he told me to run with it. I was a bit overwhelmed at first but Fred made it easy as he and the club were so accommodating.

I then had to set up instructors and everything else that goes with it. This was all new to me because I am only an Instructor in Training. I bugged the heck out of Chris (Crak) and Ross (Dwarven1). They all pushed me on and signed on to help. Len (LKB3rd) volunteered to help instruct and he drove all the way up from CT! Thanks a bunch guys! I also bothered Master Instructor Roger (Nickle), thank you. You all demonstrate what the Appleseed Project is all about.

We had 19 people on the line. It was quite a crowd and the vast majority of shooters were NES members. From what I heard yesterday and what I've read here today, it's safe to say that everyone learned something and had a good time. And thank you for the compliments. It makes me feel good to know that you all got something out of this. It was hectic to say the least!

The Appleseed Project is alive and well in Massachusetts and I know some seeds were sown yesterday. Take what you have learned, build on it and PASS IT ON. Tell your family and friends. This Mini was to whet your appetite. You now have to move on to a full Appleseed Shoot. They are held all over the country almost all year around. Looking at the schedule, you'll see that the New England area has the biggest concentration of shoots. Take advantage of it.

I took a couple of pictures from my end of the line. I would have liked to have taken more but I wasn't there for that. I think Depicts has some pics. Maybe he'll post them as well.

The last picture is a woman who works with my wife, Mo. She had never touched a firearm in her life until yesterday. She said that she was always afraid of guns. She has a bunch of brothers and I asked her if any of them had guns. She said that no one in the family ever had guns and when they were kids, the "only weapons they had were hockey sticks!"
Mo did pretty good for herself yesterday. She went from a shotgun pattern at the beginning to actual groupings. Mo has even expressed an interest in doing a full shoot. To be honest with you all, I thought she did this to shut my wife up and that was it. On the way home, Mo talked guns. She asked questions and I explained to her that she had just exercised a civil right that she never had exercised before. She said that it felt good, was fun and that if we didn't exercise our rights, we'll lose them. Mo gets it!

My wife is in the 3rd pic, pink hat & pink 10/22. She wouldn't let me score her AQT but I looked real quick at her target and I think she's on the Rifleman's bubble. She even said that she believes she can score Rifleman at the next Appleseed! Her marksmanship and confidence grows exponentially with every shoot she attends.

So who's up for a full Appleseed down this way after the summer? I hear a rumor that it's in the works[wink]

DSCF0036.jpg

DSCF0037.jpg

DSCF0038.jpg

DSCF0039.jpg

As I told Jon J if you folks want a full Appleseed Mansfiled FG would be happy to sponcer the event. On catch food is required![wink]
So come on folks. lets start planning!!!!![smile]

It's taken a while for me to chime in here, but there was nothing mini about this thing.

What kind of club is it that cuts down its own perma-benches when they get in the way of doing AQTs? I had to pinch myself to make sure it was really happening.

Highlights for me were hearing June4th's story and obviously spending the evening hanging out with Len on an unplanned detour to Medford. I can't even come up with the words to thank him correctly when every number on my cell phone came up with a goose egg.

Note to self: Take keys out of motorcycle ignition before teaching the Appleseed. I'm sure Jon and Len won't let me start another shoot without cAs Firewall would say... day wasn't wasted! I learned something!

We will be back. Sooner rather than later. Three cheers for a civilized Sunday start time!

Back
Top Bottom