Manchester-by-the-Sea man arrested for stockpiling weapons and ammunition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, whoever wrote the latest article actually knows a little more about writing an article. I'm still wondering if these grenades are real vs. dummy, and how they even knew about them in the first place.

Regardless, police batons are illegal in MA, right? He's screwed.

He had smoke and tear gas grenades, along with some ballistic plates he was shooting at in the attic. His wife called the cops saying she was scared to go home. He made statements to the effect that it wasn't wrong to shoot traitors in the head. He told the neighbors not to worry about the noises that sounded like gun shots in the attic. He's bought everything in the past 9 months.

This was just shown on Channel 7.

Just watched the story on channel 7. The grenades were tear gas & pepper spray. He had 20 rifles or so but 90% looked like bolt actions. Turns out his wife blew the wistle on him, telling police she feared to go home.

Regardless, police batons are illegal in MA, right? He's screwed.

Carrying one of the fixed length police batons is illegal in MA, owning it is not AFAIK. The expandible ones are legal to own and there is case law saying that they are legal to carry.

Just watched the story on channel 7. The grenades were tear gas & pepper spray. He had 20 rifles or so but 90% looked like bolt actions. Turns out his wife blew the wistle on him, telling police she feared to go home.

Just saw the same thing. It just goes to show that you have to watch what you say and where you say it, ESPECIALLY around supposed loved ones.

He had smoke and tear gas grenades, along with some ballistic plates he was shooting at in the attic. His wife called the cops saying she was scared to go home. He made statements to the effect that it wasn't wrong to shoot traitors in the head. He told the neighbors not to worry about the noises that sounded like gun shots in the attic. He's bought everything in the past 9 months.

This was just shown on Channel 7.

So just about none of the reporting thus far has gotten it right [shocked] and in the end, none of the charges they have filed thus far will stick. It appears all he did that was illegal was the attic rifle range. Clearly he did plenty of distasteful things, and sure was a huge idiot.

Carrying one of the fixed length police batons is illegal in MA, owning it is not AFAIK. The expandible ones are legal to own and there is case law saying that they are legal to carry.

This makes as much sense as all of the other MA laws so I readily believe it. [grin]

The shooting range was made up if a ballistic plate he would shoot at on the wall. They showed the plate on Ch 7.
It was full torso sized and did have a few bullet hits on it. Not enough to be a shooting range, but he could have fired a few shots.

He was also quoted as telling his neighbors that if they hear gunfire don't worry about it.

And don't forget about the law that says something like posession of body armor during the comission of a crime.
He had body armor, ballistic plates and supposedly did something.

I have a feeling that he might have been dealing in less than legal methods of obtaining some of the items and thats how the ATF got involved. Especially since they know he obtained it all in the last 9 months. It could have even been the shake out of another incident that the ATF took down and evidence might have lead them to him.

I've joked about preparing for armegeddon before. I can see how this would be misconstrued...

Since when are body armor plates illegal?

CHAPTER 269. CRIMES AGAINST PUBLIC PEACE

Chapter 269: Section 10D. Body armor; use in commission of crime

Section 10D. Whoever, while in the commission or attempted commission of a felony, uses or wears any body armor, so-called, or any protective covering for the body or any parts thereof, made of resin-treated glass-fiber cloth, or of any other material or combination of materials, designed to prevent, deflect or deter the penetration thereof by ammunition, knives or other weapons, shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years or for not less than one year nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction.

Only become illegal when comitting or trying to comit a felony.

So technically lounging around your house while wearing body armor and possessing a post-ban high cap mag (felony) would get you an additional 2.5 years. OUCH

Last edited by a moderator:
Only become illegal when comitting or trying to comit a felony.

What exactly has this guy been charged with? I didnt catch that he is being charged with any felonies.. he wasnt wearing the body armor during a felony either from what I saw.

Am I missing something?

Nope. They are still trying to figure it all out.

They will stack up a bunch of charges eventually.

If having 20 guns, ammo, camo, food stores etc makes one a deranged armegeddon fearin danger then most of my club, most other clubs, this board, and lord knows what other gathering places are full of similar types. Lordy lordy we all better be scared!

The infernal machine could be as simple as a powder storage keg, reloading equipment, or even an antique blunderbuss. I used to have a bb trap in my cellar. His range could have been as simple.

I guess this goes to show that we can't show any fear of pending collapse of the government or an attack by foreign badguys or we'll all fit into that same label.

Beware who is watching you stock up on MREs at gun shows.

Grounds? Most likely, his own big mouth was what did him in. He probably told a bunch of people about his "preparations" and someone dimed him out. He further complicates matters by telling the cops that he is preparing for Armageddon! That will just about guarantee him a 20-day psychiatric evaluation at Bridgewater, just for starters.[smile]

I have a lnib infernal device that I would like
to sell. It is in Ma so I am pretty sure it is compliant. I am just not sure which section of the classifieds to place it in. I hate when the mods moove my posts.

I have a lnib infernal device that I would like
to sell. It is in Ma so I am pretty sure it is compliant. I am just not sure which section of the classifieds to place it in. I hate when the mods moove my posts.

PM Sent!

For anyone who didn't catch in on the news tonight: http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO135300/

Thanks for the link, didn't see that. New catch phrases,

"near military grade"

"dozens", which apparently is the equivalent of "close to 20" because 19 or less is so hard to count these days

Do you really need a flare gun for Armageddon? If so I'm not prepared. I think I'll just stick with the low-profile bit.

Last edited:
Have to remember that manchester-by-the-sea is a town full of rich yuppy liberals that hate america and prefer their private driveways and gates.
They are so pompus that the name is as it is because the residents did not want to be confused with manchester NH (happend 150 or so years ago)

The politicians in town as well as the police work for these yuppies and love using scare tactics to make them feel secure.

"community is safer because we got these guns off the street"

How is that even a valid statement manchester?? The guns were not on the street! He was not selling them out of his trunk to the crips and bloods! They were in his house. He was just building his collection up, and preparing for the worse. Could be anyone here. And as far as we know, they were stored properly and he has a LTC. So so far no firearms laws broken....

Manch PD had to be pissing their pants that they got to work with the ATF! Seriously the biggest crime in town is speeding in the 25mph zone and skateboarders scaring little dogs walked by rich old people.

"We have great concern with the sheer number of weapons."

I never understood that concern from the hoplophobes. If someone is going to do something bad with a gun, he only needs one. Its not really going to make a situation much worse by having multiple.

There is NOTHING in the MA statute that calls out specific construction as a prerequisite to application of the statute. Point to the term that scopes this statute to specific construction intended only for harm, or some such phrasing (like modified container, etc). You can't, because it's not there. Yet another 'fn statute in this hell hole that relies on discretion and not catching the wrong cop on the right day. I can go around my house and find all sorts of things that meet the definition as stated yet have a simple, non threatening primary use.

You can probably point to case law, though... and considering that law is pretty old, there is probably a lot of case law on it that establishes the actual limits of what is or is not an infernal machine.

-Mike

I love how the news claims his weapons to be "near military grade" and "assault rifles"! It is obvious that this guy has some mental issues that he has to over come and he did break the law shooting in his attic and possessing the grenades. I am sure the liberal media will spin this story to smear legit gun owners. I am also sure that if the police came into the houses of most of the people on this forum they would find weapons caches that are much larger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom