Manchester-by-the-Sea man arrested for stockpiling weapons and ammunition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless I hear otherwise from the facts, I still can't believe that he was actually shooting real firearms in his condo. If he really was, the article would have said something else like "Police responded to reports of gunfire at a condo... etc." That'd be way more interesting to read than "man with LTC actually has guns and ammo in his home". If you're writing a news article, you start with the most important and shocking info first.

It probably was just BB's, or he had a trap stored in his attic or something.

You know our country is going down the tubes when you can be arrested for being prepared. Maybe he was a little over the top but still their must be more we aren't hearing.

"Infernal machines" are not "being prepared." They are, in fact, illegal.

So are "dangerous weapons" if defined as such in c. 269, s. 10. Possession of either would be perfectly legitimate grounds for arrest.

The facts, if we ever hear them, should prove interesting.

Unless I hear otherwise from the facts, I still can't believe that he was actually shooting real firearms in his condo. If he really was, the article would have said something else like "Police responded to reports of gunfire at a condo... etc." That'd be way more interesting to read than "man with LTC actually has guns and ammo in his home". If you're writing a news article, you start with the most important and shocking info first.

It probably was just BB's, or he had a trap stored in his attic or something.

Why not? You can shoot .22 subsonic in your own home with an appropriate trap and backstop all day without people hearing - maybe not here in MA, but it's not really something you should consider to be out of the question.

Grounds? Most likely, his own big mouth was what did him in. He probably told a bunch of people about his "preparations" and someone dimed him out. He further complicates matters by telling the cops that he is preparing for Armageddon! That will just about guarantee him a 20-day psychiatric evaluation at Bridgewater, just for starters.[smile]

Yup. His life is going to be ruined for being a loser pretty much. Unless they come up with some facts of acts that are actually illegal.

I anxiously await more facts.

I just don't get why guns and ammo with a license, is a crime. Nor is planning for armaggedon of a SHTF scenario.

An awful lot of people do that.

Unless the guy was touching off rounds in his attack or running around like a nut acting like the sky was falling, I don't understand why anyone would bother him.

From the 'Manchester by the Sea' website...
During this period, because there were many Manchesters in New England, it became vogue to call the town "Manchester-by-the-Sea." The usage so irked Dr. Oliver Wendell Holmes that he headed his letters to Manchester friends "Boston-by-the-Charles."

Why not? You can shoot .22 subsonic in your own home with an appropriate trap and backstop all day without people hearing - maybe not here in MA, but it's not really something you should consider to be out of the question.

Well maybe, but even firing CB shorts in your house is illegal if it is within 500 feet of someone else's house. Somehow managing to make it inaudible to a neighbor doesn't make it any more legal and he should have known that. And, if this condo is like your typical several-units-in-one-building condo, the neighbors would probably still be able to hear something.

Hey wait a minute... what kind of a survivalist has all that stuff but still lives in a condo? Maybe he really is nuts.

Too bad the Glob doesn't hire people who know anything about how to write a news article (a skill I was taught in a few hours back in 5th grade).

What is an example of a "dangerous weapon" in the MA legal term?

A flatulent ass... Excuse me, I mean a politician.

Is an infernal device like a grenade or something? If so, why the hell didn't the Globe mention that?

I have never understood it other than it is something that they don't like that can be dangerous. The laws here scare the crap out of me. They don't require you do anything other than exist to ruin your life.

ETA: Here is the actual law. You decide.

CHAPTER 266. CRIMES AGAINST PROPERTY

Chapter 266: Section 102A. Infernal machine; possession; definition; notice of seizure

Section 102A. Whoever, other than a police or other law enforcement officer acting in the discharge of his official duties, has in his possession or under his control an infernal machine or a similar instrument, contrivance or device shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than ten years or in jail for not more than two and one half years, or by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and the said machine, instrument, contrivance or device shall be forfeited to the commonwealth. The term “infernal machine”, as used in this section, shall include any device for endangering life or doing unusual damage to property, or both, by fire or, explosion, whether or not contrived to ignite or explode automatically and whether or not disguised so as to appear harmless. Notice of the seizure of any such machine, instrument, contrivance or device shall be sent forthwith to the commissioner of public safety and the article seized shall be subject to his order.

Last edited:
A flatulent ass... Excuse me, I mean a politician.

I have never understood it other than it is something that they don't like that can be dangerous. The laws here scare the crap out of me. They don't require you do anything other than exist to ruin your life.

Well, I've generally understood an "infernal device" to be some type of explosive device, normally improvised (at least that was the Wiki definition I saw a year ago). However, I don't understand the legal meaning of a "dangerous weapon". I own guns, and those can be dangerous in the wrong hands. Do those count? What about my katana I used to practice with in Aikido? Does that count? How about my wife's lovely set of steak knives? Those can all be dangerous, but I would hope the legal definition refers to specific things.

What is an example of a "dangerous weapon" in the MA legal term?
Most martial arts weapons, such as throwing stars and nunchakus, are illegal to possess in MA but are easily obtained in NH. Perhaps he had one or more of these items, along with the firearms and ammunition. "Infernal devices" are the legal term for homemade bombs, such as pipe bombs and Molotov cocktails or similar incendiary devices. This guy is in some serious s**t if he was caught in possession of such items.

Most martial arts weapons, such as throwing stars and nunchakus, are illegal to possess in MA but are easily obtained in NH. Perhaps he had one or more of these items, along with the firearms and ammunition. "Infernal devices" are the legal term for homemade bombs, such as pipe bombs and Molotov cocktails or similar incendiary devices. This guy is in some serious s**t if he was caught in possession of such items.

So my katana is now illegal? When the f*ck did this happen?

If he had a home made gun range in his attic, then maybe the neighbors tipped the cops of gunfire coming from the home...but you'd figure the Globe would state that.

So a bottle of vodka is an infernal device? It's so open ended that anything with a flame, a propellant or a flammable substance can be deemed one. The law says nothing about intent, construction, etc. A bottle of vodka in close proximity of a rag could be considered one. Now the rag may be to clean up the mess on the table, but really now, what part of that definition scopes this to actual devices with actual construction intent on actual harm? None.

Wow, I feel safer already [hmmm]

I'd like to know more about this "infernal device"... if he had something like a bomb or a homemade machine gun, the article would have reported it.

Sounds like a bunch of BS to me.

According to this definition my Dad was a felon when driving his 1972 Ford Pinto...

Section 102A. Whoever, other than a police or other law enforcement officer acting in the discharge of his official duties, has in his possession or under his control an infernal machine or a similar instrument, contrivance or device shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than ten years or in jail for not more than two and one half years, or by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and the said machine, instrument, contrivance or device shall be forfeited to the commonwealth. The term “infernal machine”, as used in this section, shall include any device for endangering life or doing unusual damage to property, or both, by fire or, explosion, whether or not contrived to ignite or explode automatically and whether or not disguised so as to appear harmless. Notice of the seizure of any such machine, instrument, contrivance or device shall be sent forthwith to the commissioner of public safety and the article seized shall be subject to his order.

Most martial arts weapons, such as throwing stars and nunchakus, are illegal to possess in MA but are easily obtained in NH. Perhaps he had one or more of these items, along with the firearms and ammunition.

Unless the law changed recently, this just is not true. Possession of these items, defined as owning them in your home, place of business, or any other private property, and transport between, is(was) perfectly legal even in MA. Carrying of these items on the other hand is strictly forbidden.

"Infernal devices" are the legal term for homemade bombs, such as pipe bombs and Molotov cocktails or similar incendiary devices. This guy is in some serious s**t if he was caught in possession of such items.

This is what I'm thinking. He had a molotov coctail, or a device resembling the same, in his SHTF pile (gasoline stored in a glass wine jug maybe?) and that lead to both charges of possession of an infernal machine and possession of a dangerous weapon.

I'm wondering what the grounds for a search warrant were. I am sure that if he had actually been using his "illegal firing range in the attic" that the cops would have responded to gunshots and not waited around for a search warrant. Was he running his mouth about his collection? Was a nosey neighbor spying on him? Or maybe the search warrant was for some completely unrelated issue?

There are too many unanswered questions here. What was the "illegal shooting range in the attic"? Would anyone be surprised if the man hung one of his range targets on the wall, and they're calling it a shooting range because he had a target that appeared to be setup or something like that? How many people on this forum have ever hung a target from one of their more accurate days on their wall? My big question is what makes it a shooting range, other than if he was actually shooting there (which would bring many separate charges)?

They really need to answer about the infernal machine and shooting range, because as it's written, this guy didn't do anything illegal.

ETA: The point could be made that most of us here are very knowledgible about weapons, and the fact that we can't answer with any certanty what an "infernal machine" is, who in their right mind would ever believe that someone who despises weapons would know? The fact that they didn't say "bomb" or "molotov coctail" makes me extremely suspicious that what they found was nothing more than unsafe storage of fuel or something along those lines.

Last edited:
Got a bottle of hairspray and a lighter? Infernal machine. Congrats, you're a felon.
Got a Super Soaker and a bottle of rubbing alcohol? Infernal machine. Congrats, you're a felon.

"That'd be a felony in Massachusetts."

So a bottle of vodka is an infernal device? It's so open ended that anything with a flame, a propellant or a flammable substance can be deemed one. The law says nothing about intent, construction, etc. A bottle of vodka in close proximity of a rag could be considered one. Now the rag may be to clean up the mess on the table, but really now, what part of that definition scopes this to actual devices with actual construction intent on actual harm? None.
It would depend upon the construction of the device. A six-inch length of 2" diameter pipe, packed with black powder, smokeless propellant, match heads, etc., equipped with a length of fuse and wrapped in dog-chain with every fifth link partially weakened by a saw cut would most likely be considered an "infernal device". A favorite IRA home-made bomb used 10-penny nails wrapped around an explosive charge with duct tape. Primitive? Yes. Deadly? Again, yes.

Manchester man held on explosives charges talked of 'Armageddon'

By Jonathan Phelps
Staff Writer
http://www.gloucestertimes.com/punews/local_story_041145041.html

MANCHESTER — A Manchester man who told police he was preparing for "Armageddon" has been hit with a series of weapons charges for having explosive hand grenade "devices" and a stockpile of other weapons and ammunition in his Bridge Street condominium — and illegal indoor shooting range in the attic.

Gregory Girard, 45, was arrested at 11:22 last night after the Police Department received a report from the federal Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms Bureau in Boston that Girard had explosive hand-grenade devices along with a cache of others.

Girard was charged with four counts of possession of grenade type explosive devices and four counts of possession of a dangerous weapons. He had two police fixed batons and two police expandable batons.

Also found in the home were approximately 20 weapons and thousands of rounds of ammunition for which Girard was licensed, according to police. Police also discovered the indoor illegal shooting range in the attic.

He was held at the Manchester Police Department overnight and was transported to Salem District Court this morning for arraignment.

"Mr. Girard indicated he was preparing for "Armageddon" which he felt was imminent," Police Chief Glenn McKiel said in a prepared statement. Girard also felt that Martial Law "would soon be imposed," McKiel said.

Girard's license to carry firearms was revoked and all of the weapons and ammunition were seized by police.

The Manchester Police were assisted by the Cape Ann Regional Response Tactical Unit, The Massachusetts State Police Tactical Unit, Explosive Devices Team, Crisis Negotiation Team, K-9 unit, and agents of the ATF Boston Field Office.

Girard reportedly had no criminal record, and was not known to police, McKiel's statement indicated.

We will update this story here at gloucestertimes.com as more information becomes available. For full coverage, look to tomorrow's print and online editions of the Gloucester Daily Times and gloucesterttimes.com.

Last edited:
Based on that article, either the ATF sold him the grenades (though not clear if homemade or OEMd) in a sting (doubtful as they would have arrested them at the time) or they have been watching him either on a tip or as part of a larger surveillance effort. But clearly state and local cops had no clue about anything up until then. What's not clear is who he told his armageddon stories to? Was it police when they showed up at his door, online or in person to friends, neighbors or informants.

It would depend upon the construction of the device. A six-inch length of 2" diameter pipe, packed with black powder, smokeless propellant, match heads, etc., equipped with a length of fuse and wrapped in dog-chain with every fifth link partially weakened by a saw cut would most likely be considered an "infernal device". A favorite IRA home-made bomb used 10-penny nails wrapped around an explosive charge with duct tape. Primitive? Yes. Deadly? Again, yes.

There is NOTHING in the MA statute that calls out specific construction as a prerequisite to application of the statute. Point to the term that scopes this statute to specific construction intended only for harm, or some such phrasing (like modified container, etc). You can't, because it's not there. Yet another 'fn statute in this hell hole that relies on discretion and not catching the wrong cop on the right day. I can go around my house and find all sorts of things that meet the definition as stated yet have a simple, non threatening primary use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom