Manchester-by-the-Sea man arrested for stockpiling weapons and ammunition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope there's something more to this story because I'm not finding the illegal part as it's written.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/02/police_man_with.html

Police: Man with weapons cache was preparing for 'Armageddon'
E-mail|Link|Comments (3)February 10, 2010 12:13 PM
By Stefanie Geisler, Globe Correspondent

A Manchester-by-the-Sea man arrested for stockpiling weapons and ammunition in his home allegedly told police he was preparing for Armageddon.

Gregory D. Girard, 45, was arrested Tuesday night for allegedly storing approximately 20 weapons and thousands of rounds of ammunition.

Just before 11:30 p.m. Tuesday, Manchester-by-the Sea police executed a search warrant at 23 Bridge St., police said. Girard faces four counts of possession of an infernal device and four counts of possession of a dangerous weapon. Additional charges are pending, police said.

“Mr. Girard indicated he was preparing for ‘Armageddon,’ which he felt was imminent, and he felt martial law would soon be imposed,” Chief Glenn McKiel said in a statement.

In addition to the weapons and ammunition, police found a large collection of camouflage clothing, knives, bulletproof vests, helmets, and several pairs of handcuffs. They also discovered stockpiles of medicine and nonperishable foods. An illegal indoor shooting range was also found in the attic, police said.

Police seized all the weapons and ammunition and revoked Girard’s license to carry firearms.

Police negotiators attempted to reach Girard by phone before executing the search warrant but were unsuccessful. Tactical officers evacuated two other condominium units in the building and brought residents to the police department while the search was completed.

Girard has no criminal record, according to police. He was to be arraigned today in Salem District Court.

Last edited:
The firing range in his attic doesn't seem like a great idea, but the headline here is very misleading.

It looks like they may have found some illegal items (infernal machine, etc), but I wonder on what grounds they obtained a warrant.

Anybody heard from Cap'n Walt lately?

Depending on what "infernal device" turns out to be and maybe except for the shooting range, what is wrong with having some guns and ammo?

There's got to be something more to the story than what's being told.

"Girard faces four counts of possession of an infernal device and four counts of possession of a dangerous weapon. Additional charges are pending, police said."

What could be the additional charges? Improper storage? Ammo count in excess of statute?

It looks like they may have found some illegal items (infernal machine, etc), but I wonder on what grounds they obtained a warrant.

Yes.. where is the part that gives them a search warrant? Maybe a neighbor was complaining about gunfire in the house? What kind of firing range can someone put in an attic anyway?

That seems likely. Maybe someone caught wind him gathering the camo, helmets, body armor etc and tipped the police off to the crazy guy.

At least the Globe only called it a weapons cache instead of an arsenal.

Grounds? Most likely, his own big mouth was what did him in. He probably told a bunch of people about his "preparations" and someone dimed him out. He further complicates matters by telling the cops that he is preparing for Armageddon! That will just about guarantee him a 20-day psychiatric evaluation at Bridgewater, just for starters.[smile]

I bet the 8th ingredient in Hoppe's No.9 makes people this nuts.

Spend enough time around guns and cleaning them, makes you batshit crazy!

"condominium units"

I'm guessing that was his downfall. I know there are a lot of good people that live in condos but rarely do I see a positive post here about them.

If you do a little googling you can find his consulting company. He's looks normal enough. Probably a user here.

These kinds of articles are written in the way they are only to make the uninformed think that having guns are illegal. Makes me sick.

He was ordered held without bail after his arraignment in Salem District Court. A dangerousness hearing was slated for Feb. 12.

Well at least the children are safe.

I can't see anything "illegal" here either, except maybe the firing range. Even that isn't illegal unless you're actually FIRING (the 500 feet from a building without permission thing). I find it really hard to believe that a survivalist would be living in Manchester and actually firing guns in his attic. That seems suspicious too. Any survivalist type would be smart enough to not draw attention to himself by discharging guns in the sheeplehood. Maybe it was a BB gun range?

You know our country is going down the tubes when you can be arrested for being prepared. Maybe he was a little over the top but still their must be more we aren't hearing.

He might have set up an airgun range. Of course that might be illegal in MA...or soon will be.

“Mr. Girard indicated he was preparing for ‘Armageddon,’ which he felt was imminent, and he felt martial law would soon be imposed,” Chief Glenn McKiel said in a statement.

Something about this statement strikes me as odd. Why would someone that was arrested, whom they're intimating is delusionally paranoid, share their fears with the very people they are paranoid about. Further even if they were to give some sort of similar statement, why would the chief of police feel so free about releasing this information? Just weird.

Well at least the children are safe.
Yep. Good thing those dangerousness hearings are in place, too. Might have a guy who's (presumably) been arrested for possessing guns and ammunition with an apparently valid license out on the streets!
Maybe firing within 500 feet of a dwelling led to this?
While the article is ridiculous, my money's on this.

My bet is another condo unit owner complained.

If he was shooting a firearm inside an attached dwelling, I can't say I'd blame them for complaining.

It'll be interesting to hear more of the story though.

He might have set up an airgun range. Of course that might be illegal in MA...or soon will be.

Something about this statement strikes me as odd. Why would someone that was arrested, whom they're intimating is delusionally paranoid, share their fears with the very people they are paranoid about. Further even if they were to give some sort of similar statement, why would the chief of police feel so free about releasing this information? Just weird.
Airgun range is not illegal in MA. In fact, at the Eastern Fishing and Outdoor Expo in Worcester every year, they have indoor archery and BB gun ranges for the youngsters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom