Man shot and killed by father-son duo in Abilene Texas

The rural areas are where people are the most polite.....because EVERYBODY, and I mean everybody has a gun, either on them, on their tractor or in their truck or car.......and they are far, far less likely to shoot you than some city or suburban dweller. Not only that, people are just generally less stressed out in the country.
Same is true for VT or WMA versus Worcester or Boston or Portland.

But even with the largely rural areas of the South, the stats are per above.

Not knocking it, I loved being stationed at Fort Knox and went to Bardstown for Thanksgiving. There are nice people and crazies everywhere.

42290778_2013688115319428_6718528546978922496_n.jpg

42273449_1938749906164338_2824551075749560320_n.jpg

42254653_240819913247004_5067085549760675840_n.jpg

42291076_2119443508074534_4144091588882071552_n.jpg

“He had what’s called IED (intermittent explosive disorder), but he was getting help for it," Box said."

Seems like a very dangerous condition to have, if it leads to repeatedly screaming at gun-toting rednecks that you are going to kill them.

Intermittent explosive disorder falls in the category of impulse control disorders. The condition is characterized by failure to resist aggressive impulses, resulting in serious assaults, property destruction, or frequent verbal aggression in the form of temper tantrums or tirades. Examples of this behavior include threatening to or actually hurting another person and purposefully breaking or damaging an object of value.

The degree of aggressiveness expressed during an episode is grossly out of proportion to any provocation or situational stress. The individual may describe the episodes as "spells" or "attacks" in which the explosive behavior is preceded by a sense of tension or arousal and followed immediately by a sense of relief. Often genuine regret is expressed after the outburst. Later the individual may also feel upset, remorseful, or embarrassed about the behavior.

Typically beginning in late childhood or adolescence, the disorder often precedes—and may predispose for—later depression, anxiety and substance abuse disorders. Conservative estimates suggest that intermittent explosive disorder can be found in 2.7 percent of the general population.

Most patients are young men and history will often involve frequent traffic accidents, moving violations, and possibly sexual impulsivity. These patients may exhibit extreme sensitivity to alcohol.​

Getting your ass kick for running your mouth when you're younger certainly teaches one([wave]) not to run their mouth later in life unless they can back it up. The problem is most mid-thirty somethings(hell even early forty somethings) I know never were able to learn that lesson, instead they "talked it out" leaving them completely unprepared for even the mildest of actual violence should someone call them on their BS.

Father, son accused of killing neighbor over dispute about box spring

They both immediately bonded out on initial bonds set at $25,000 each, according to an updated statement from Standridge released Friday, "a great concern to both myself and our community."

The Millers were taken into custody again Friday afternoon after a court reviewed their bonds and raised them to $250,000 each, Standridge's statement said.

I would be rip shit if that happened to me.

After the fathers shots, the attacker (still standing) threw the baseball bat he was holding at the father - that's when the son shot him. The son didn't even lift his shotgun from his waist until after the bat was thrown by attacker, and had hit his father in the hip. Definitely not incapacitated at that point; still attacking.

View attachment 247644

View attachment 247646

View attachment 247647

View attachment 247645

View attachment 247643

View attachment 247648

View attachment 247650

View attachment 247651

View attachment 247649

Yes.

Yes.

Guy was coming at him with a baseball bat, having threatened to kill him at least a dozen times.

It should be noted too that there's the legs/jeans of at least one adult-sized person, and the shadow of another who can be glimpsed briefly in a muscle shirt (no, no muscles) and seems to be adult age based on size/height. That's not including the orange shirt nutjob and the wife who's recording. There's also a pickup truck behind them with two doors ajar (but the drivers door closed) and it seems to have a trailer attached. So the father/son may have been facing as many as 4 or more people, and the trash was possibly coming from somewhere else via trailer...

View attachment 247655

View attachment 247652

View attachment 247653

View attachment 247657

View attachment 247659

I haven't finished reading yet but wanted to add a couple thoughts to this analysis. But first, way too much stupid to go around.

The incident takes place in a public alley behind their properties, so there is no protecting property situation.
The two with guns came out into the public space WITH THE GUNS IN HAND, with the intent to confront Orange shirt. Prior to them coming out with the guns, there was no threat to anyone's safety. Their mere appearance with guns, before anything is said, constitutes a threat. I think this is where the prosecutor will start.

As for Orange Shirt, I can't believe what an idiot he was, and it goes beyond his yelling and threatening two guys with guns. It's his inability to be a man and place the safety of his loved ones ahead of his own ego. I suspect that most of us would agree that the first thing to do is protect our loved ones. And in a situation of being unarmed and facing two guys with guns, and a clear opportunity to get out of there, our obligation to the safety of our loved ones dictates that we gather everyone up and GTFO.

This doesn't mean he deserved to die, just that he's not blameless. If he had lived, I would hoped they would all be charged.

I don't know what the crime is going to be, my gut is they'll go away for something, even in Texas, but orange shirt really deserves a Darwin award. He really went all in on the room temperature challenge.

Armed or not, right or wrong, it's usually best not to mix with people with guns, especially if they're already out.
Not to mention, he put his family in harms way over an ego battle. He wouldn't back down from a gunfight (in which he did not have a gun!) and kept his family around... because of a mattress.

As for Orange Shirt, I can't believe what an idiot he was, and it goes beyond his yelling and threatening two guys with guns. It's his inability to be a man and place the safety of his loved ones ahead of his own ego. I suspect that most of us would agree that the first thing to do is protect our loved ones. And in a situation of being unarmed and facing two guys with guns, and a clear opportunity to get out of there, our obligation to the safety of our loved ones dictates that we gather everyone up and GTFO.

This doesn't mean he deserved to die, just that he's not blameless. If he had lived, I would hoped they would all be charged.

20-30 yrs ago orange shirt would have been in a "bin" somewhere and this entire thing probably wouldn't have happened. This is a direct outcome of letting people with severe MH issues roam around in public.

-Mike

The incident takes place in a public alley behind their properties, so there is no protecting property situation.

In much of Texas alleys (which are common) are owned by the homeowner and taxed, but cannot be developed - the owner is responsible for maintaining them and they are a way to which the public has access. In other places they are owned by the locality and maintained by the homeowner. Who knows in this case; the fact that it isn't being widely reported makes me wonder. Where did the altercation start, anyway? This video starts well down the rabbit hole.

The two with guns came out into the public space WITH THE GUNS IN HAND, with the intent to confront Orange shirt. Prior to them coming out with the guns, there was no threat to anyone's safety. Their mere appearance with guns, before anything is said, constitutes a threat. I think this is where the prosecutor will start.

The video certainly doesn't show that to be the case... what you've written is all hypothetical with zero evidence. It mirrors the allegation of the wife, but we know she's full of shit because her statement doesn't line up with the video (ie: he threw his bat "away" and then they shot him - no, he swung his bat, was shot, then threw his bat striking both of them, and was shot again, all on video).

The video starts with a baseball bat AND guns present. Now the pistol came from the holster in pops waistband, but where did psychos bat come from? Or juniors shotgun?

It's possible that pops and junior confronted psycho with guns in hand and psycho left to get a baseball bat and came back... it's equally possible that psycho showed up with a bat, pops drew down, and junior went to grab a shotgun and came back. The little niggling thing in my mind is that psycho told his wife to go get his air rifle and then his 9mm - if he had already left the scene and returned with a weapon (the bat; assuming it was after having been drawn down on) why wouldn't he simply do it again? Was the bat in his pickup truck, which had the passenger side doors but not the drivers open and was maybe 20-30 feet away? The bat certainly wasn't in his waistband, or in his hands as he carried a bed. Who was calm and collected, who was out of control?

Pure speculation here but I'd guess pops told the psycho to dump the mattress elsewhere. Psycho flipped a shit, grabbed the bat from his car and went after pops hurling threats (in the alley or on pops property, which may or may not be one and the same) and pops drew down while junior went to get his shotgun. And then the video starts.

In Texas deadly force is justifiable in protection of land OR "tangible, movable property" which is not required to be on your land. Deadly force is allowed to prevent someone from "fleeing immediately after", as well as to prevent "imminent commission" of theft or vandalism. If psycho so much as whacked a trashcan or fence belonging to Pops and Junior it's on like Donkey Kong. If psycho threatened to knock over their fence or trashcan, the same. It's all provided they feel there's a risk of serious injury or death - which when that lunatic is cursing and swinging a bat around and threatening murder isn't so far fetched.

Last edited:
Take into account also, I don't believe you have a duty to retreat in Texas.

I think the two shirtless dudes were charged just for appearances, and won't face anything.

I think I'd loosely say that this was a "good" shoot on their part.

Totally avoidable had anyone in that alley had any common sense, in fact, I think the IQ of the entire alley was about 17. But, just because it isn't smart doesn't mean it isn't legal.

Getting your ass kick for running your mouth when you're younger certainly teaches one([wave]) not to run their mouth later in life unless they can back it up. The problem is most mid-thirty somethings(hell even early forty somethings) I know never were able to learn that lesson, instead they "talked it out" leaving them completely unprepared for even the mildest of actual violence should someone call them on their BS.

"Don't let your alligator mouth overload your canary ass"

Another situation where someone stupid gets shot and nothing legally should happen. Sometimes people are stupid.and push their luck. Sometimes those people die.

Life lesson, know when to fold them and walk away.

Second lesson, dont dump your trash on other peoples land.

People get emotional over trash. I know someone who was attacked for putting his trash out a day early. Unfortunately, he displayed the fact he was armed and went to trial for assault. He was found not guilty by a jury and his LTC was reinstated.

Yeah but in Boston it is a $250 fine. There are hundreds of shitbags dumping shit bags in each container we have on site.

People get emotional over trash. I know someone who was attacked for putting his trash out a day early. Unfortunately, he displayed the fact he was armed and went to trial for assault. He was found not guilty by a jury and his LTC was reinstated.

my neighbor puts the trash out a day early and it drives me up a wall for some reason...mostly because its on the corner of my property ( live on a culd a sac). I get along fine with him but it still irks me for some reason

my neighbor puts the trash out a day early and it drives me up a wall for some reason...mostly because its on the corner of my property ( live on a culd a sac). I get along fine with him but it still irks me for some reason
It's all fun and games until a shiftless black bear (and is there any other kind?)
moves in to the neighborhood and starts culling the sacks.

We've had bear pass through our neighborhood a few times,
but they've never had the good fortune to hit us the night before trash day.

Everyone on our street puts the cans out the evening before, after dinner.
That wouldn't fly in the Adirondacks.
If/when the bear population gets a toehold,
it ain't gonna fly around here either.

Back
Top Bottom