Man shoots down neighbors drone hovering in his yard: arrested

cockpitbob

NES Member
I think he's screwed.

He used a shotgun and waited until it was right over his property. However, it sounds like a residential neighborhood and the town has an ordnance against discharge of firearms. The owners of the $1,800 drone came to confront him but he was open carrying his Glock which may have saved him from a beating.

"They asked me, 'Are you the S-O-B that shot my drone?' and I said, 'Yes I am,'" he said. "I had my 40mm Glock on me and they started toward me and I told them, 'If you cross my sidewalk, there's gonna be another shooting.'"

I wouldn't mess with anyone carrying a 40mm pistol either.

I have a few boxes of High Brass around. I can shoot here all I want.

Come fly your little play thing here and we can test each others skills.

One thing he's charged with is "first degree criminal mischief". I have a feeling any time you destroy someone's $1,800 piece of property (without good cause) you are going to be charged with something criminal. I don't think spying on you is currently considered good cause. Hopefully some day though.

A 40mm Glock is one big a$$ boolit. [laugh]

"They asked me, 'Are you the S-O-B that shot my drone?' and I said, 'Yes I am,'" he said. "I had my 40mm Glock on me and they started toward me and I told them, 'If you cross my sidewalk, there's gonna be another shooting.'"

"They asked me, 'Are you the S-O-B that shot my drone?' and I said, 'Yes I am,'" he said. "I had my 40mm Glock on me and they started toward me and I told them, 'If you cross my sidewalk, there's gonna be another shooting.'

can I add to my list of trades for my Glock 23, anyting in 40MM???? SWEET

I had one hovering over my yard a couple months ago. I figured it was just birdwatching, so I flipped it two.

All my neighbors have to do is look out there windows to see everything going on in my yard.

I don't know if i would have the guts to shoot down a drone hovering over my house. But I support him in his decision to do so. His privacy is definitely invaded there. There are rules for air space above your property. someone flying a drone over with a camera is a peeping tom. i hope he does pursue this and the drone owner gets screwed and this guy gets off.

"They asked me, 'Are you the S-O-B that shot my drone?' and I said, 'Yes I am,'" he said. "I had my 40mm Glock on me and they started toward me and I told them, 'If you cross my sidewalk, there's gonna be another shooting.'

can I add to my list of trades for my Glock 23, anyting in 40MM???? SWEET

You know, I read that line in the article and re-quoted here several more times and only just now noticed it said 40mm. WANT.

That and an 88 Magnum (It shoots through schools)

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing he's charged with is "first degree criminal mischief". I have a feeling any time you destroy someone's $1,800 piece of property (without good cause) you are going to be charged with something criminal. I don't think spying on you is currently considered good cause. Hopefully some day though.

isn't there some maritime salvage law where someone can seize an unmanned boat if they drift off their anchors and then selling them back to the owner for what the boat is worth plus contents...and its all totally legal...too bad something like that can't be applied here with unmanned aircraft?

Section 1 allows for discharge of a firearm in defense of person or property.

Which person or property was being threatened? Compounded with a self admitted threat to shoot someone for crossing public property?

Guy should have kept his mouth shut.

isn't there some maritime salvage law where someone can seize an unmanned boat if they drift off their anchors and then selling them back to the owner for what the boat is worth plus contents...and its all totally legal...too bad something like that can't be applied here with unmanned aircraft?

That's for derelicts.

These things don't fly THAT high. Compressed air gun maybe?

Oh, btw, don't read the comments on the article...

Wrong. DJI drones and others of that caliber can fly up and beyond 3k feet. And if he's flying (first person view) FPV, that might even be illegal in some areas. HD video recording, high quality sound, and agility to go damn near anywhere within a few miles of "home base" puts drone fliers into a new area of privacy invaders.

FPV flights can be out to several miles with a good setup. Decent antenna, good transmitter, etc.

If hovering over a pool where your daughters are suntanning isn't considered an invasion of privacy, then those folks apparently don't have daughters. [smile] Not only would I have shot it down, but I would've stripped the memory card out as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he's screwed.

He used a shotgun and waited until it was right over his property. However, it sounds like a residential neighborhood and the town has an ordnance against discharge of firearms. The owners of the $1,800 drone came to confront him but he was open carrying his Glock which may have saved him from a beating.
If one uses a laser to take out a drone, but it not aiming at commercial aircraft, is it a federal offense?

Remember Kentucky is one of the four "Commonwealth" states in this country. So who knows. The south is not all that free as folks think it is.
A retired KY state trooper I know what crushed when the Brady Group gave KY an "F". They had an "F-" the year before. He exact whine was "I want that minus back!".

"Pull!"
Probably is malum prohibitum, given the town no-discharge statute, but I have a hard time seeing this as malum in se.

Back
Top Bottom