Man killed best friend while playing with gun he thought was unloaded (Orlando, FL)

commodon

NES Member
Man killed best friend while playing with gun he thought was unloaded, Orlando police say

By Jeff Weiner
Orlando Sentinel |
Aug 13, 2020 at 12:14 PM

A man who wrongly thought he had unloaded a gun before pointing it at his friend and pulling the trigger at an Orlando apartment complex has been arrested on a manslaughter charge, police said.

Deontay Haynes

Deontay Nashawn Haynes, 20, was booked into the Orange County Jail early Thursday and is being held without bail on manslaughter with a firearm, a first-degree felony that carries up to 30 years in prison.

Police were called about 3:40 p.m. Wednesday to the Oakmont Apartments on South Rio Grande Avenue, arriving to find 20-year-old Zavier Phillips shot. He was pronounced dead at Orlando Regional Medical Center.

According to OPD, investigators determined Haynes, Phillips and Phillips’ brother had been hanging out in a bedroom together when Haynes, who had a gun he thought he had unloaded, took aim at Phillips.

He pulled the trigger and mortally wounded Phillips, police said.

Phillips’ brother, who lived with him at the apartment, told police that Phillips and Haynes were “best friends and they typically play with guns once they are unloaded,” according to an affidavit for Haynes’ arrest.

He assumed the gun was unloaded tonight but when [Haynes] pressed the trigger it fired,” the affidavit said. “He stated there weren’t any arguments and there was no way [Haynes] would purposely shoot [Phillips].

Phillips’ brother said the three had been just talking prior to the shooting. The gun belonged to Phillips, his brother said, according to police. It was Haynes who called police after Phillips was wounded.

From Orlando Sentinal

I'll never understand these idiots. First, pointing it at his friend even if he thought it was unloaded? When someone hands me a gun to inspect, I will watch them verify its clear, then I will check it myself as soon as its in my hand. STILL not stupid enough to point it at anyone.

If anyone gets a chance to visit Shooters World in Orlando, you can stand outside the range and watch stuff like this all day long. I've seen people do the same thing when they're just picking up their rental gun or checking one out. It's a great shop and awesome range but the unsafe gun handling practiced by predominantly young people is insane.

If anyone gets a chance to visit Shooters World in Orlando, you can stand outside the range and watch stuff like this all day long. I've seen people do the same thing when they're just picking up their rental gun or checking one out. It's a great shop and awesome range but the unsafe gun handling practiced by predominantly young people is insane.
Truth
Sometimes it makes me wonder about the future generations. I've seen to much "casual" attitudes about gun safety. They say the "know" it empty so they don't need to worry, and make the excuse that they aren't stupid and know what they are doing so they ignore the rules.

No one is saying you have to be stupid to have something go wrong, and following the 4 rules isn't done because you're afraid. Safe handling, and the 4 rules are there so that even if one mistake is made, the other precautions will still prevent a tragedy.

Truth
Sometimes it makes me wonder about the future generations. I've seen to much "casual" attitudes about gun safety. They say the "know" it empty so they don't need to worry, and make the excuse that they aren't stupid and know what they are doing so they ignore the rules.

No one is saying you have to be stupid to have something go wrong, and following the 4 rules isn't done because you're afraid. Safe handling, and the 4 rules are there so that even if one mistake is made, the other precautions will still prevent a tragedy.

Yep, as I see it, you have to break two of the rules for something bad to happen.

I've had one negligent discharge, (so far?). I wanted to show my friend my brand new Glock, (first one), disassembled. To disassemble a Glock, you have to pull the trigger. I racked the slide, pointed my EMPTY gun at the berm and pulled the trigger. It helps if you drop the magazine BEFORE you rack the slide. Duh. Gun wasn't empty.

I treated the gun as if it were loaded.
I had my finger off the trigger until I was ready to fire.
I pulled the trigger when I was pointing the gun at something I wanted to destroy.
I knew my target and what was behind it.

I followed the above rules even though I KNEW (erroneously) that the gun was empty.

So, negligent discharge - absolutely.
Learning moment - oh fck yeah!
Damage to anyone? Nope.

I lock the slide, (or flip the cylinder out, or open the bolt), when I hand a gun to someone.
When I accept a firearm from someone, I open the action immediately, (if it's not already open).

And I don't point guns at people/things that I don't want to shoot.

No, those are for those who's own stupidity negates their ability to spawn.
I guess being friends with the trigger-jerk qualifies

Both were winners. Friend who enjoyed playing stupid games will not reproduce. Shooter who will hopefully spend a long time in prison will not spawn after learning the true pleasure of becoming another man’s repository.

No, those are for those who's own stupidity negates their ability to spawn.
I guess being friends with the trigger-jerk qualifies
The dead guy was the owner of the gun. If he handed a loaded gun to someone with zero training, he got what was coming.

When I was 15 or so, I was at a friends house, with another friend. Friend1 picked up a revolver and was playing with it. He explained that it wasn't functional. He checked the cylinder, pointed it at the ceiling and pulled the trigger. He handed it to me and I checked the cylinder, pointed it at the ceiling and dry fired it. I handed it to friend #2 who pointed it at friend #1 and dry fired it. Friend #1 and I shit ourselves.

Friend #1 and I had gone shooting with his parents and with my parents, and understood the rules. Friend #2 had never touched a gun and assumed that since he had just seen two people who apparently knew what they were doing check the gun and dry fire it, that is was safe.

Man killed best friend while playing with gun he thought was unloaded...
How come no one is ever hurt or killed by a gun "They thought was loaded"?

Kind of reminds me of the guy who's gf shot him in the head in the car while f***ing around trying to be gangster on facebook live.
And then the two of them ran out of the car and left the victim sit there and wait to die. I don't know if he actually died, but same thing really.

And this kind of stupid is why we run cold ranges...
[pot]
The mo hamdling of mags or ammo at one club came about after instructor and CRO at the time was showing students how to load magazines while the range was cold.
Well what do you do when your done loading mags.
Well he loaded a few inserted one into his 1911 and did a mag dump.
While people where down range....

As far as this moron goes, he f***ed up by not thinking , gun is always loaded , dont point your gun at anything you dont want dead or destroyed.

I was at a match with experienced shooters. AFterwards, one was talking about the great trigger on his HK91 and got it out of his pickup and asked me to try the trigger.

He nearly shit himself when I pulled the charging handle and a round fell out. My response was "no problem, I see you were just testing me to see if I would pull the trigger without checking".

Back
Top Bottom