Man facing murder charges after fatally shooting car thief

73468631.jpg

Have to hope for jury nullification on this one, seems the law is written to forbid just this sort of situation if the comments are to be believed. Honestly though, screw em, you go stealing people's things and you deserve it.

“If you catch someone stealing your car, you can try to contain him, but you just can’t shoot them,” Henry explained.

I disagree with this statement..

One of the comments:
"They steal your car you can't go to work, get fired, can't eat, starve to death. Therefore, shooting a car thief is justified."

This sort of confused me also... Defending property. Property costs money. I work hard for my money. Working takes time. Time is part of my life that I can NEVER get back. The law is saying I can't defend my life?

If your life is not in jeopardy you just can't shoot. Even if you were found not guilty, your attorney fees would be more than the vehicle is worth. A good thing to keep in mind is that popping a cap on some miscreant will cost you ten grand minimum, probably a whole lot more. Its a lot cheaper to turn tail and run, if you can get away with it.

Seriously, why leave the car running?

Literally the very first response and wouldn't you know. Blaming the victim for getting his car stolen. Never fails.

“If you catch someone stealing your car, you can try to contain him, but you just can’t shoot them,” Henry explained.

I disagree with this statement..

Reality would to. Because it turns out, he did shoot them.

I suppose he was missing a key word in that statement, 'legally'.

I guess from the article that he didn't stand in front of the car when they put it in drive before firing? Seriously, why leave the car running? That is asking for trouble.

Take a look at the car. I am betting he left it running out of fear it wouldn't start again.

I believe you... But keyword here is "used" to, and it's not the wild wild west anymore.. Or midevil times for that matter.

Urban Atlanta is way more dangerous than the " wild west" was. Think Mogadishu with Mc Donalds .

What moran would steal a POS car like that?From the looks of it, that's probably all the guy owned. Shouldn't have shot the thief, but no real loss.[grin]

What moran would steal a POS car like that?From the looks of it, that's probably all the guy owned. Shouldn't have shot the thief, but no real loss.[grin]

happens in Lawrence all the time. They go to the welfare office, then need a ride home, and there is your POS car just sitting there asking to be stolen, and this guy left the keys in the car too....

Doesn't look good....

I disagree with the article description of GA gun laws being "Lax".. They are more likely respectful of the RKBA's

Simple really, don't steal peoples cars, and you never have to worry about getting shot. NOT guilty

one of the comments

Why is this a problem? Don't steal people shiite, and you don't get shot. He was shot during the commission of a felony. Doesn't that mean he is legally responsible?

one of the comments

That's actually a poorly worded, but very valid point. You can bet that the crime rate would go WAY down if this was allowed by law. I do understand how society evolved to not allow everyone to become judge, jury, and executioner because of that old "innocent, until proven guilty" thing, but things have a way of getting way out of control when only moral people play by the rules.

That's actually a poorly worded, but very valid point. You can bet that the crime rate would go WAY down if this was allowed by law. I do understand how society evolved to not allow everyone to become judge, jury, and executioner because of that old "innocent, until proven guilty" thing, but things have a way of getting way out of control when only moral people play by the rules.

Hmm seems LEO gets away with judge jury and executioner from time to time.

One of the comments:
"They steal your car you can't go to work, get fired, can't eat, starve to death. Therefore, shooting a car thief is justified."

This sort of confused me also... Defending property. Property costs money. I work hard for my money. Working takes time. Time is part of my life that I can NEVER get back. The law is saying I can't defend my life?
What is the difference between having your property stolen and your labor stolen? You are basically being enslaved for the time it takes for you to earn that money back. I would say you have a right to deadly force if someone tries to enslave you.

Literally the very first response and wouldn't you know. Blaming the victim for getting his car stolen. Never fails.

Reality would to. Because it turns out, he did shoot them.

I suppose he was missing a key word in that statement, 'legally'.

Good point. I'm going to go remove the lock on my front door now knowing that you won't blame me if my house gets robbed.

No tears shed for the piece of shit who got shot however.

I wouldn't kill someone for taking my stuff. I can always get more stuff. It would be just my luck to find out the guy was stealing my car to get his dying girlfriend to the hospital, or finding out the car I bought had been stolen from him.

Threatening me or my family is a completely different issue.

With all the social safety nets, stealing your stuff doesn't put your life in danger, but 100+ years ago it did.

“He who steals my purse steals my right to live," was the reply, "old saws to the contrary. For he steals my bread and meat and bed, and in doing so imperils my life.”
― Jack London, The Sea Wolf

Back
Top Bottom