Man caught with loaded gun in bag at Logan

jhblaze1 said:
You're kidding right? Logan's security is PATHETIC. They have done absolutely nothing to "beef up" security since 911 other than putting on a security show. Longer lines is all that changed. You could probably bring a suitcase nuke through Logan security if you were even slightly creative.
Nope. I'm not kidding but then again I also never said their security wasn't pathetic. I said that they are hyper-sensitive. And I meant that as a commentary on their emotional state not as an appraisal of their level of competence. Maybe I should have phrased that better. My bad.
jhblaze1 said:
no, i don't hang out with idiots.
You're a luckier man then I.

You're kidding right? Logan's security is PATHETIC. They have done absolutely nothing to "beef up" security since 911 other than putting on a security show. Longer lines is all that changed. You could probably bring a suitcase nuke through logan security if you were even slightly creative.

Tell that to Joseph C. Leone, 51, of Quechee, Vermont [thinking]

If you carry or own a firearm, I think a tad bit of responsibility is automatically attached to it.

"He certainly didn't intend to bring a gun to Massachusetts or that anyone in his right mind would take to Logan Airport where it would be screened. It was a horrible mistake," said David Coffey, Leone's defense attorney.

Mr. Coffey, I have only a few words regarding the character of your client...

He's a GOD-DAMNED AIRHEAD! DUUHHHH!

You know, I read all of these outrage-filled posts and have to say that I'm glad all of you never forget something at 0-dark-30. Me? Not so much.

In a previous life, I was a road-warrior consultant. For several years, I left Logan every Monday morning on a 6 AM flight. I returned Friday night, arriving after 10 PM (often long after. Sigh.). I was bushed on Saturday. Sunday morning I was awake and energetic, just in time to pack on Sunday afternoon. I traveled for 50 weeks the first year (125,000 miles in the air).

Getting to Logan for the 6 AM flight meant getting up at 4 AM and leaving the house by 4:30 AM.

I remember early in my traveling career one morning when I took the pistol from my lockbox and put it into the safe. Before I picked up the pistol from the lock box, I grabbed my spare magazines and put them in my suit coat pocket. I put the pistol in the safe, locked it, grabbed my suitcase and hit the road. You see where this is going?

I was quite some distance from the house before I realized I still had two loaded magazines in my pocket. Yes, I did change my protocols after this incident.

Sleep deprivation has a way of sneaking up on you, jumping up, and biting you on the nose. Mr. Leone is in my thoughts.

Last edited:
Having lived in Vermont and worked among the LEO community there I must say it indeed would have made the papers. The USAO there however would be much more understanding than the USAO here (assuming, as everyone here is that this was a legit accident) the charges would most likely be reduced as no one would be "looking to make an example" out of an honest mistake. That being said, totally irresponsible and idiotic move.

All I can say about this is that I am never in doubt as to whether I am carrying or not. I always know exactly where ALL my guns are. I vote for "the guy is an airhead"

Yes, the guy had a moronic moment, and exposed himself to persecution.

The crying shame is that this law won't ever get invoked:

CHAPTER 265. CRIMES AGAINST THE PERSON

Chapter 265: Section 37. Violations of constitutional rights; punishment

Section 37. No person, whether or not acting under color of law, shall by force or threat of force, willfully injure, intimidate or interfere with, or attempt to injure, intimidate or interfere with, or oppress or threaten any other person in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured to him by the constitution or laws of the commonwealth or by the constitution or laws of the United States. Any person convicted of violating this provision shall be fined not more than one thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than one year or both; and if bodily injury results, shall be punished by a fine of not more than ten thousand dollars or by imprisonment for not more than ten years, or both.

You know, I read all of these outrage-filled posts and have to say that I'm glad all of you never forget something at 0-dark-30. Me? Not so much.

In a previous life, I was a road-warrior consultant. For several years, I left Logan every Monday morning on a 6 AM flight. I returned Friday night, arriving after 10 PM (often long after. Sigh.). I was bushed on Saturday. Sunday morning I was awake and energetic, just in time to pack on Sunday afternoon. I traveled for 50 weeks the first year (125,000 miles in the air).

Getting to Logan for the 6 AM flight meant getting up at 4 AM and leaving the house by 4:30 AM.

I remember early in my traveling career one morning when I took the pistol from my lockbox and put it into the safe. Before I picked up the pistol from the lock box, I grabbed my spare magazines and put them in my suit coat pocket. I put the pistol in the safe, locked it, grabbed my suitcase and hit the road. You see where this is going?

I was quite some distance from the house before I realized I still had two loaded magazines in my pocket. Yes, I did change my protocols after this incident.

Sleep deprivation has a way of sneaking up on you, jumping up, and biting you on the nose. Mr. Leone is in my thoughts.

While your empathy is commendable, there are several things that we must take into account: 1. You are a responsible person who realized what had happened before anything bad happened, no doubt given your own personal attributes and also your considerable degree of training. 2. We don't know if Joe was indeed sleep deprived or just brain cell deprived, or if indeed he is a frequent flyer. 3. Once you realized your error, you changed your protocols.

I know full well the inherent dangers of sleep deprivation having experienced that condition on more than one instance myself, which is all the more reason that protocols regarding firearms and firearms safety must be in place. Perhaps Mr. Leone is falls into the category of the sleep deprived, perhaps not...either way I cannot sympathize nor empathize with him.

Mark L.

While your empathy is commendable, there are several things that we must take into account: 1. You are a responsible person who realized what had happened before anything bad happened, no doubt given your own personal attributes and also your considerable degree of training.
And a fair bit of luck. If I had been just a bit more distracted or tired, I could have wound up heading into the security checkpoint with two loaded magazines in my pocket. There but for the grace of God go I.

Given the changes in security, I am much more careful before I approach the security checkpoints now than I was then (I pat myself down now and check every pocket long before I approach security).

I don't use off-body carry of a firearm for several reasons. This is one of them -- if you routinely put a gun in a bag, you may forget it is there.

Problem is, you're complaining about the state when trying to bring a loaded firearm on a plane is a federal issue. You don't have to like Massachusetts, but using invalid points to vent that dislike doesn't exactly give the impression of a well thought out argument.

No.

I'm voicing my opposition to a law. If I suggested that this was a state law, mea culpa. I don't remember doing it.

My point was that not all laws are desirable. In fact, the good many of them are inherently evil. The legal system ought to serve government's intended purpose: to protect individual liberties. Not to transfer wealth or power.

Gun-control laws transfer control from the peaceable to the criminal element.

Back
Top Bottom