Man caught with loaded gun in bag at Logan

uzi

whdh tv source: http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO98563/

OSTON -- A Vermont man was released on $1,500 cash bail following his arraignment Monday on charges that he tried to carry a bag containing a loaded handgun onboard a plane at Logan International Airport over the weekend.

Prosecutors said that Joseph C. Leone, 51, of Quechee, Vermont was stopped at the Air Canada checkpoint shortly after 10 a.m. on Sunday, when airport security noticed a handgun while x-raying his luggage.

"On the x-ray as we were viewing his carry-on bag, a loaded weapon showed up with bullets," said George Nacarra, Federal Security Director.

State Police found a loaded .32 caliber handgun inside the bag and Leone was arrested.

"He certainly didn't intend to bring a gun to Massachusetts or that anyone in his right mind would take to Logan Airport where it would be screened. It was a horrible mistake," said David Coffey, Leone's defense attorney.

It was unclear why Leone had the weapon. He is due back in court January 27, 2009.

(Copyright (c) 2008 Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

He forgot he was leaving the free state of Vermont and entering into a gun control zone. It is plain (plane!) lack of thinking on his part. Not only are guns, loaded or not, prohibited from carry on luggage, they are forbidden past the security gate. I wonder if he was planning to fly to Canada. He would not be welcomed there with a handgun either.
I've read many posts in this forum about this type of activity. It never ceases to amaze me that people can be so careless.
Best Regards.

This illustrates why it's always a good idea to buy a dedicated range bag rather than trying to double up with your shaving kit.

Yeah, because it's legal to carry a gun onto a plane every place else.

Do you ever even read what you write? I wish you would, because I have to.

Again, just because a law is a law, doesn't make it a good law. I feel like I'm talking to a wall here sometimes.

Remember, this is this same legal system that justified racial segregaion, and before that, mandated servitude based on the color of your skin.

And I guess I'll have to be the first poster on this soon-to-be-a-train-wreck-of-a-thread that gun prohibition made 9/11 possible. [hmmm]

Trumped up on a bogus charge? Are you serious? This guy was a moron...nuff said!!

Oh. I forgot that the article mentioned that the gun in question wasn't his... [thinking]

I liked the part where the loaded gun was specified as having bullets! Who knows what it may have been loaded with? Could be those deadly cop killer knitting needles from the UK!

No kidding, right?

And maybe to refine my previous comment - How about asinine (versus bogus)?

It's like walking into a prohibited zone while packing. You're insta-criminal.

If your point is that an innocent accident should not be a major felony, you didn't make it well but you may find some sympathetic ears in these parts. Unfortunately congresscritters figured it out long ago that criminals will feign innocence via ignorance/accident in a heartbeat if it means less jail time and it is really difficult to prove intent. So the easiest thing to do is throw the book at everyone, regardless of intent. Lame, but true. Our lame ass answer to this as a society is to effectively violate equal protection and give prosecutors broad discretion (while simultaneously removing judicial discretion [rolleyes]). Not sure what is worse frankly, BGs get away with it, or good guys get insta-felony.

I liked the part where the loaded gun was specified as having bullets! Who knows what it may have been loaded with? Could be those deadly cop killer knitting needles from the UK!

Dude, have seen those. You can kill an old granny from across the room with those things. They should be banned. [smile]

It is safe to assume that any sane firearms owner knows that you can not take a loaded gun onto an airplane, especially one at Logan field. So one should conclude that this guy is

1) an idiot and did not realize he had a loaded gun in his carry on bag. Such people are clearly not in control of their firearm since he did not even know it was in there.
2) some sort of a terrorist, and should be arrested
3) Some sort of activist that does not believe he has to follow the laws of the land, and is trying to make a political point. Well, he made it and should be arrested in his cause.
4) a true nut case

Let the judge sort it out and act appropriately.

If your point is that an innocent accident should not be a major felony, you didn't make it well but you may find some sympathetic ears in these parts. Unfortunately congresscritters figured it out long ago that criminals will feign innocence via ignorance/accident in a heartbeat if it means less jail time and it is really difficult to prove intent. So the easiest thing to do is throw the book at everyone, regardless of intent. Lame, but true. Our lame ass answer to this as a society is to effectively violate equal protection and give prosecutors broad discretion (while simultaneously removing judicial discretion [rolleyes]). Not sure what is worse frankly, BGs get away with it, or good guys get insta-felony.

Yes. Clearly this looks like a stupid oversight on behalf of the gun-carrying air traveler. And hopefully he gets through this unscathed, but I fear that's an unlikely outcome. A more likely and unfortunate outcome is that he'll have to wear the felony Scarlet Letter for the rest of his life for what's really a victimless crime.

Again, just because a law is a law, doesn't make it a good law. I feel like I'm talking to a wall here sometimes.

Remember, this is this same legal system that justified racial segregaion, and before that, mandated servitude based on the color of your skin.

Fine, but whether or not one agrees with the law is a separate issue. What I found absurd was this:

Notice that he's from a Free State (Vermont). Of course, this guy would be trumped up on some bogus charge in Massachusetts.

Do you really think that things would be different if he tried (accidentally or not) to bring a gun onto a plane in another state? It seems to me that the last couple of times this happened, the assclowns were in New Hampshire and Florida.

And the sad part of all this is that people such as this moron vote as well. Is it no wonder that we are in such a sad state of affairs in this country? It appears that the idiots outnumber those with some common sense.

Do you really think that things would be different if he tried (accidentally or not) to bring a gun onto a plane in another state? It seems to me that the last couple of times this happened, the assclowns were in New Hampshire and Florida.

Would he be treated differently? Not likely. Would it be made such a big deal in another state? Probably not.

Would he be treated differently? Not likely. Would it be made such a big deal in another state? Probably not.
Come one. Ya gotta cut Logan some slack for being hyper-sensitive about this kind of incident. After all, it wasn't New Hampshire or Florida planes that were hijacked and flown into the World Trade Center buildings.

Also, am I the only one who'll admit that, sadly, I can think of at least one or two friends that would be stupid enough to make the same mistake this guy did? [rolleyes]

Problem is, you're complaining about the state when trying to bring a loaded firearm on a plane is a federal issue. You don't have to like Massachusetts, but using invalid points to vent that dislike doesn't exactly give the impression of a well thought out argument.

Come one. Ya gotta cut Logan some slack for being hyper-sensitive about this kind of incident. After all, it wasn't New Hampshire or Florida planes that were hijacked and flown into the World Trade Center buildings.

Also, am I the only one who'll admit that, sadly, I can think of at least one or two friends that would be stupid enough to make the same mistake this guy did? [rolleyes]

You're kidding right? Logan's security is PATHETIC. They have done absolutely nothing to "beef up" security since 911 other than putting on a security show. Longer lines is all that changed. You could probably bring a suitcase nuke through logan security if you were even slightly creative.

Back
Top Bottom