Maine gun bill would allow concealed weapons without permit

"It ain't done until it's signed into law and becomes effective!"

Well, much to my shock, my new ME license came in today's Mail. Mailed 5/15 and received 6/6. Great improvement over 4 years ago.

And don't care if the no permit required becomes law there, consider it a "donation"!

However, what I've read here is that any new law actually doesn't go into effect until 90 days AFTER the legislative session ENDS (no idea when that is for ME). [For example: If MA did business this way, it would be almost 2 years from now before a law took effect!!]

So when does the ME legislative session end?

Well, much to my shock, my new ME license came in today's Mail. Mailed 5/15 and received 6/6. Great improvement over 4 years ago.

And don't care if the no permit required becomes law there, consider it a "donation"!

However, what I've read here is that any new law actually doesn't go into effect until 90 days AFTER the legislative session ENDS (no idea when that is for ME). [For example: If MA did business this way, it would be almost 2 years from now before a law took effect!!]

So when does the ME legislative session end?

It is not the session end per se. It is session recess.

From the Maine constitution:

Section 16. Acts become effective in 90 days after recess; exception; emergency bill defined. No Act or joint resolution of the Legislature, except such orders or resolutions as pertain solely to facilitating the performance of the business of the Legislature, of either branch, or of any committee or officer thereof, or appropriate money therefor or for the payment of salaries fixed by law, shall take effect until 90 days after the recess of the session of the Legislature in which it was passed, unless in case of emergency, which with the facts constituting the emergency shall be expressed in the preamble of the Act, the Legislature shall, by a vote of 2/3 of all the members elected to each House, otherwise direct. An emergency bill shall include only such measures as are immediately necessary for the preservation of the public peace, health or safety; and shall not include (1) an infringement of the right of home rule for municipalities, (2) a franchise or a license to a corporation or an individual to extend longer than one year, or (3) provision for the sale or purchase or renting for more than 5 years of real estate.

http://legislature.maine.gov/const/

I don't care. I'll still have to have a permit. It says clearly "citizens", doesn't it? Maybe I should sue for discrimination. I'm a minority, after all.

Seems some amendments got tagged onto it though. Maybe I am wrong but it seems Maine will go from not required to disclose to required to disclose if actively carrying.

[cerberus];4519869 said:
Seems some amendments got tagged onto it though. Maybe I am wrong but it seems Maine will go from not required to disclose to required to disclose if actively carrying.

Only if you do not possess a Maine CWP permit.

No necessarily true, I was listening to NRA News yesterday (Cam & Company on Sirius Patriot 125) and they spoke on this very subject.
In Maine, a bill passed by both the House & Senate will become law with or without the governors signature, as long as he doesn't veto it.

No necessarily true, I was listening to NRA News yesterday (Cam & Company on Sirius Patriot 125) and they spoke on this very subject.
In Maine, a bill passed by both the House & Senate will become law with or without the governors signature, as long as he doesn't veto it.

That's correct.

As Scriv would say, I wasn't complete in my answer. 10 demerits! [wink]

You are correct!

I think the ME governor will sign. Hoping that the NH governor sets on it and it becomes law without her signature.

Because ME will lose some cash from reducing the number of permits, it needs to go to the budget committee. This talks about that and a few percedural votes it will have but they expect it to clear those and be signed.

There is a poll question If you agree with consitutional carry or not too for those wishing to jam the poll. http://bangordailynews.com/2015/06/...rry-bill-with-fix-designed-to-satisfy-lepage/

Yes 67.97% (1,110 votes)
No 32.03% (523 votes)
Total Votes: 1,633

Should Mainers be allowed to carry concealed handguns without a permit?

Yes 68.15% (1,119 votes)
No 31.85% (523 votes)
Total Votes: 1,642

<http://bangordailynews.com/2015/06/04/politics/house-approves-constitutional-carry-bill-with-fix-designed-to-satisfy-lepage/>

Just saw an e-mail about reciprocity that seemed very favorable. The governor just signed it and will open up 17 additional states to the Maine permit holders. It takes the m COP out of the decision making and eliminates the "equals or exceeds" our standards issue. I did not even know that was going through.

Nobody that would go by the username "Frenchman" could be considered a minority in Maine...

A friend of mine from Maine is married to a woman from Madawaska. She isn't French speaking, at least as a first language, and that makes her a minority. One day he was ranting to me about "People who live here and can't be bothered learning English." He was referring to patients he sees in a Boston hospital in this case. I just looked at him and said, "Not like Madawaska, where everyone speaks English." He just looked at me and laughed.

I've never been further north than Bangor, but he told me how to get to his in law place. Drive north on I-95 until it pretty much ends at the border. Take Route 1 north until you get to Madawaska. Take US 1 to Madawaska. Get off US 1 on to a side street. Drive to the road ends in a dirt trail. There you are.

- - - Updated - - -

[cerberus];4521913 said:
Just saw an e-mail about reciprocity that seemed very favorable. The governor just signed it and will open up 17 additional states to the Maine permit holders. It takes the m COP out of the decision making and eliminates the "equals or exceeds" our standards issue. I did not even know that was going through.

Do you have a link to the bill?

[cerberus];4521913 said:
I assume that's for resident permits...

Back
Top Bottom