• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Maine gun bill would allow concealed weapons without permit

Rather see these guys focus on a Sportsman Hunting rights bill so we dont have spend millions each year fending of HSUS on bear hunting, already have the CC permit so im not concerned right now on that

Yup. And those lovely people who failed last year on the bear referendum have already announced that they are coming back again this year with another attempt.

Yup. And those lovely people who failed last year on the bear referendum have already announced that they are coming back again this year with another attempt.
Yeh I know we already had our first series of meetings last week. It sucks because the majority of money to push this is from Joe Trippy in DC the former clinton blowhard. Has no dog in this fight other than his goal to help ban all hunting and fishing. So now we have to spend more money that could be used fornour families or hunting in fighting this shit. They should just ban it in Portland Ogunquit and related areas since thats where most Peta and Hsus patrons live.

Kansas and I think Missouri are looking to pass no permit CC, I doubt they set it up for only residents. Kansas is all R controlled so that is likely to become law. Missouri has a D for Gov but the R's have very large majorities which overrode vetos last year. They may have enough to do it here too.

"The Bill now has almost 100 co-sponsors, which represents well over 50% of Maine lawmakers including a majority in the Democrat-controlled Maine House"

Public hearing has yet to be scheduled.

Sounds good!

What really torques me off is that there is a faction of handgun "trainers" who hold classes for the CC Permits, who have come out against the Bill. I guess money is more important than Freedom to some people.

What really torques me off is that there is a faction of handgun "trainers" who hold classes for the CC Permits, who have come out against the Bill. I guess money is more important than Freedom to some people.

What are their names and businesses?

Too bad it only allows residents to CC.

Con carry wouldn't apply to non residents? That's crazy if true.

i am sure it would eventually be expanded to non-residents, it would be a good step in the right direction if passed.

The rumor is FALSE.

This is a bill to support as it applies to everyone.

Bill number: LD 652

Bill status: http://legislature.maine.gov/LawMakerWeb/summary.asp?ID=280055116

Bill text: http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/bills/bills_127th/billtexts/SP024501.asp

Sec. 1. 12 MRSA §11212, sub-§1, ¶B, as amended by PL 2005, c. 477, §9, is further amended to read:
B. A person may not, while in or on a motor vehicle or in or on a trailer or other type of vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle, have a cocked and armed crossbow or a firearm with a cartridge or shell in the chamber or in an attached magazine, clip or cylinder or a muzzle-loading firearm charged with powder, lead and a primed ignition device or mechanism, except that a person [STRIKE=who has a valid Maine permit to carry a concealed weapon]who has a valid Maine permit to carry a concealed weapon[/STRIKE] is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm may have in or on a motor vehicle or trailer or other type of vehicle a loaded pistol or revolver [STRIKE=covered by that permit]covered by that permit[/STRIKE].

Sec. 2. 25 MRSA §2001-A, sub-§2, ¶A-1 is enacted to read:
A-1. A handgun carried by a person who is not otherwise prohibited from carrying a firearm;

Same thing is happening with NFA Title II weapons owners, specifically pre-1986 MGs, with Form 1 applications for MGs. Each firearm, north of $10,000 would collapse in value overnight.

- - - Updated - - -

So if NH's SB 116 (or whatever the HB version is) should become law and this becomes law, then we could have three contiguous Constitutional Carry states? In New England?

I believe so. I saw a bill sponsored by the same senator and the title related to knives.

Look up Maine LD 264 An Act to Restore the Right to Possess Certain Knives That Are Used by many Citizens as Tools.

Thanks. Good to hear. Maine's knife laws are as bad as any states, though the enforcement of those laws is definitely not as bad.

The fact ANY folding knife is subjectively illegal, and ANY knife carried for the purpose of self defense is illegal, is pretty ridiculous. LD 264 would repeal one of the sections, but not the other section.

This would be repealed:

§1055. Possession or distribution of dangerous knives
1. A person is guilty of possession or distribution of dangerous knives if, when the person has no right to do so, the person knowingly manufactures or causes to be manufactured, or knowingly possesses, displays, offers, sells, lends, gives away or purchases any knife that has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife, or any knife having a blade that opens or falls or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward or centrifugal thrust or movement.

2. Possession or distribution of dangerous knives is a Class D crime.

But this would not be:

§2001-A. Threatening display of or carrying concealed weapon
1. Display or carrying prohibited. A person may not, unless excepted by a provision of law:
A. Display in a threatening manner a firearm, slungshot, knuckles, bowie knife, dirk, stiletto or other dangerous or deadly weapon usually employed in the attack on or defense of a person; or
B. Wear under the person's clothes or conceal about the person's person a firearm, slungshot, knuckles, bowie knife, dirk, stiletto or other dangerous or deadly weapon usually employed in the attack on or defense of a person.

2. Exceptions. The provisions of this section concerning the carrying of concealed weapons do not apply to:

C. Knives used to hunt, fish or trap as defined in Title 12, section 10001;

Thanks. Good to hear. Maine's knife laws are as bad as any states, though the enforcement of those laws is definitely not as bad.
The fact ANY folding knife is subjectively illegal, and ANY knife carried for the purpose of self defense is illegal, is pretty ridiculous. LD 264 would repeal one of the sections, but not the other section.
This would be repealed:
But this would not be:

One law: Don't physically assault people. Don't verbally assault people unless it's true (else it's slander/libel).

The Judge/Jury can adjust the sentence based on severity of the assault (open faced slap vs. hacked up with a machete).

As written, does this apply to vehicle carry as well? Haven't seen actual text of bill, only the news article. Pretty psyched to save $$ on renewal time between NH, and ME if both these pass!

This would be repealed:

But this would not be:
ROFL. I've broken that law every time I've gone to Maine including when I was a kid.

Interestingly, Kittery Trading Post sells automatic folding knives. Looks like KTP is breaking the law...

As written, does this apply to vehicle carry as well? Haven't seen actual text of bill, only the news article. Pretty psyched to save $$ on renewal time between NH, and ME if both these pass!

I posted the text of the bill here. It applies to vehicles. Thus no permit needed to carry or keep a loaded firearm in a vehicle.

ROFL. I've broken that law every time I've gone to Maine including when I was a kid.

Interestingly, Kittery Trading Post sells automatic folding knives. Looks like KTP is breaking the law...

Yep. Fortunately unlike places like NYC for example, it isn't enforced at it's literal extreme. Unless the pivot screw is ridiculously tight, ANY folding knife can pretty much "open or fall or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward or centrifugal thrust or movement." That is sort of how centrifugal force and gravity works. It's asinine.

The knife law is one of those that was a enacted after "West Side Story" was in the movie theatre. Just like the Federal sound suppressor regulations after Al Capone's button men. Totally stupid.

It's also non-enforced. It is probably used as an add-on charge for felony busts for something else.

Back
Top Bottom