Maine gun bill would allow concealed weapons without permit

I think if we Mainers have one flaw, it's that we tend to just ignore those we think are idiots or those we just don't like. Sometimes clowns like this fool from NY need to be stepped on.

I think if we Mainers have one flaw, it's that we tend to just ignore those we think are idiots or those we just don't like. Sometimes clowns like this fool from NY need to be stepped on.

You couldn't be more right. My family's of Downeast heritage, and if they don't have any use for you there, they just move on. It takes a lot to make a Mainer want to squish you.

There seems to be a pattern here...many of these cheeseheads work for, or own, "not for profit" money laundering operations.

We ignore in public and step on them in private :) preferably on a dark logging road.

That's why states like Maine and NH are getting eaten alive by these people. We just want to be left alone but they insist on starting shit.

That's why states like Maine and NH are getting eaten alive by these people. We just want to be left alone but they insist on starting shit.

Maine just passed three pro-gun bills, and there is talk in Maine of how to find a way to eliminate the income tax. I'm not sure if you can say that Maine is getting "eaten alive" by the statist types.

Maine just passed three pro-gun bills, and there is talk in Maine of how to find a way to eliminate the income tax. I'm not sure if you can say that Maine is getting "eaten alive" by the statist types.

The pro D vote was split the past few elections. There could be a revolt against all the welfare and taxs though. Ned to see another 2 good elections.

The pro D vote was split the past few elections. There could be a revolt against all the welfare and taxs though. Ned to see another 2 good elections.

The problem with Maine and to an extent NH the "conservative" welfare crowd voting with the liberal left crowd. Lots of those rural blue areas are voting that way because they need free shit.

Well, after a long, long wait, the cc bill has finally passed the Senate. It is now off to the governor for signing!

I am holding my breath, however, until he finally does sign it. LePage is very "no compromise", and he has made it known he does not like the compromises in this bill. He may not sign it, but I'd be very surprised if he outright vetoed it.

Well, after a long, long wait, the cc bill has finally passed the Senate. It is now off to the governor for signing!

I am holding my breath, however, until he finally does sign it. LePage is very "no compromise", and he has made it known he does not like the compromises in this bill. He may not sign it, but I'd be very surprised if he outright vetoed it.

Where do you see that? The status states it is still on the appropriations table.

6/4/2015 - On motion by Senator VALENTINO of York PLACED ON THE SPECIAL APPROPRIATIONS TABLE pending ENACTMENT , in concurrence.

http://legislature.maine.gov/LawMakerWeb/summary.asp?paper=SP0245&SessionID=11

Further, the legislature has adjourned from the first session, thus, if LePage does not sign the bill, it becomes a pocket veto per the Maine constitution if the legislature does not return from adjournment, assuming I am reading this passage right and I could very well not be as it is a little on the confusing side.

Article IV. Part Third. Section 2 said:
If the bill or resolution shall not be returned by the Governor within 10 days (Sundays excepted) after it shall have been presented to the Governor, it shall have the same force and effect as if the Governor had signed it unless the Legislature by their adjournment prevent its return, in which case it shall have such force and effect, unless returned within 3 days after the next meeting of the same Legislature which enacted the bill or resolution; if there is no such next meeting of the Legislature which enacted the bill or resolution, the bill or resolution shall not be a law.

http://legislature.maine.gov/const/#a4

When does this law become in effect?

govs still gotta sign it, not sure if Maine has any of that weird enactment garbage or not though that delays implementation of the law, but I can't see why it would, because there's literally nothing to implement other than someone sending out a memo to LE agencies about it.

-Mike

When does this law become in effect?

90 days after the adjournment of the legislature, when signed by the governor. However, the legislature has already adjourned from the first session so I don't know what that means for a bill that is passed after the legislature adjourns. Does it mean the first session or the second session adjournment?

Last edited:
Found this on a website in Maine:

Today, Constitutional/Permitless Carry legislation, Legislative Document 652, was enacted by the state Senate by a vote of 23-12. This critical legislation will now go to Governor Paul LePage for his expected signature. It's no wonder, then, that many people will now move to Maine. It's a fact that families are leaving NJ, NY, CT and MA due to onerous attacks on freedom. Maine will most certainly be high on their lists as places to go. This shows just how serious that legislature and governor are about preserving the constitution.

Found this on a website in Maine:

Today, Constitutional/Permitless Carry legislation, Legislative Document 652, was enacted by the state Senate by a vote of 23-12. This critical legislation will now go to Governor Paul LePage for his expected signature. It's no wonder, then, that many people will now move to Maine. It's a fact that families are leaving NJ, NY, CT and MA due to onerous attacks on freedom. Maine will most certainly be high on their lists as places to go. This shows just how serious that legislature and governor are about preserving the constitution.

I've heard the taxes might give them pause about choosing ME.

The local media has reported this is on the way to the governor desk and the murder and carnage should start at the end of the summer. This bill makes me very nervous, till now democrats wanted to strengthen gun laws even change our constitution and yet they voted to reduce them with this law. This bill was never suppose to pass the Democratic controlled house and yet it did. I fear they have something up their sleeves.

The local media has reported this is on the way to the governor desk and the murder and carnage should start at the end of the summer. This bill makes me very nervous, till now democrats wanted to strengthen gun laws even change our constitution and yet they voted to reduce them with this law. This bill was never suppose to pass the Democratic controlled house and yet it did. I fear they have something up their sleeves.

In less ****ed up states the broken clocks are even right once in awhile.

The pendulum is swinging back a bit to the right finally. Maine has begun to embrace it's conservative side after slipping a bit. Mainers are pretty independent minded, leave-me-alone, type of people and their government in Augusta had begun to go to the nanny state side. Their republican governor has instituted a lot of small but important reforms there, this being one that is going to garner attention across the country just because it involves loosening restraints on firearms......by following the constitution both Fed and Maine's own. God bless 'em all. If they take the house back in the next election, Katy bar the door.

Oh.....and with regard to taxes, they do have them but lets face it, it's all relative. I live here in CT and pay in excess of $6000 in property taxes on top of just about every other tax you can imagine and then some. I pay taxes on every piece of machinery in my shop every year. I even pay tax on my office computers and printers, etc., etc., etc. I'm not telling you anything that you don't know. In Maine, we're looking at 10 year old homes of about 1300sq ', that will run us about $125000 with 2+ acres, 25 miles from Portland and the shore, and the property taxes are $1950 a year, total for both town and county. And, they don't tax SS. Leaving CT will give me a raise of about 40% over living here and trying to survive here. And their governor has begun to reign in the excesses of EBT cards and the wellfare program in general. While not perfect, living in Maine certainly looks brighter than staying here where I was born, I'm sad to say.

Rome

The pendulum is swinging back a bit to the right finally. Maine has begun to embrace it's conservative side after slipping a bit. Mainers are pretty independent minded, leave-me-alone, type of people and their government in Augusta had begun to go to the nanny state side. Their republican governor has instituted a lot of small but important reforms there, this being one that is going to garner attention across the country just because it involves loosening restraints on firearms......by following the constitution both Fed and Maine's own. God bless 'em all. If they take the house back in the next election, Katy bar the door.

Oh.....and with regard to taxes, they do have them but lets face it, it's all relative. I live here in CT and pay in excess of $6000 in property taxes on top of just about every other tax you can imagine and then some. I pay taxes on every piece of machinery in my shop every year. I even pay tax on my office computers and printers, etc., etc., etc. I'm not telling you anything that you don't know. In Maine, we're looking at 10 year old homes of about 1300sq ', that will run us about $125000 with 2+ acres, 25 miles from Portland and the shore, and the property taxes are $1950 a year, total for both town and county. And, they don't tax SS. Leaving CT will give me a raise of about 40% over living here and trying to survive here. And their governor has begun to reign in the excesses of EBT cards and the wellfare program in general. While not perfect, living in Maine certainly looks brighter than staying here where I was born, I'm sad to say.

Rome

Maine has elected better the past few elections. They have a conservative congressman for the 2nd district now, lapage has had two terms, some better state legislatures, etc. But lapage still needed 3 candidates to win and they elected angus king a nut, etc.

CT and NJ and flat nuts with taxes. As bad as MA is, those two are much worse. When you have multiple terms with big govt types, they'll punish you. CT will get even worse with several more yrs of malloy as you know.

Back
Top Bottom