Mag limits in Cambridge

Mike, I can't answer your direct question. Each city/town can create by-laws that say just about anything. The only people who ever see/read the by-laws are the PD and the city council! They are NOT usually publicly accessible, not on the web, etc. But they are legally enforceable!

I had my run-in with Cambridge by-laws in 1968 and never forgot it! I was working in the PRC (NU Co-Op job at MIT) and got parking tickets for "overtime parking" at unposted/unmetered locations. Called Cambridge PD to be told that Cambridge by-law prohibits >2hr parking unless OTHERWISE posted! I asked him how outsiders were supposed to know this and got a "tough shit" attitude. It was the major reason why I had NU find me a new Co-Op job!

I would suggest giving the owner of Roach's in PRC a call and ask him, he should know if they have a local by-law on it.

As for Boston, the ONLY restrictions that I am aware of (hi-cap, so-called AWBs, etc.) are for RESIDENTS ONLY. According to Chief Ron Glidden (he's talked to Boston's anti-gun office), it does NOT apply to folks traveling in/thru Boston (e.g. my Wife and/or I can carry anything we want on our LTC-A in Boston). Ron also found out that apparently NOBODY has ever been charged with a violation of their by-law. I suspect it was your typical poorly worded knee-jerk reaction by the City Council just before some election cycle.

I don't and wouldn't worry about it unless I lived there (not likely [roll] )!

Len,

Thanks for the info, I will check with Roach's on the laws in Cambridge.

I have an ALP/LTC, so I'm not gonna worry about it!

I did find this info regarding Bostons "Home Rules", So I guess hi-cap mags are legal in Boston, except for residents.

General notes
Date updated: Jul 29, 2005 @ 9:39:27 pm EDT

Boston: "Machineguns" and "Homeland Defense" weapons are completely RESTRICTED within city limits. Hi-capacity pistol magazines "ARE" allowed.

State law requires "home rule" authorization at the state level. The city of Boston has a home rule approval for a ban on semi auto rifles and greater 10 round rifle mags (with an exemption for licensees passing through or shooting a match in the city). They had a "one time only" opportunity to get a permit for specific so-called AW's a number of years ago, but no new Boston AW permits are being processed.

What are "Homeland Defense" weapons?

Sounds like Boston residents are not allowed to protect themselves! [shock] :?

Boston

I believe that Boston's ban applies to rifles only, not handguns. If anyone has verifiable information the contrary, please post it.

There was a one-time chance to register semi automatic high cap rifles to maintain legal posession within the city (for residents), and about 125 such weapons were registered .... on pretty close to the very last day allowed when the forms finally became available.

The exemption covers licensed individuals travelling through Boston, as well as posession at AW competitions within the city limits (Yes, I have attended such a thing).

Back
Top Bottom