• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA to RI transfer

I understand a licensed MA resident will need to bring the firearms to a RI FFL and I will have a 7 day wait.. However the person I would getting the firearms from received a notice when they renewed their LTC that FA10 forms are no longer accepted and that all private sales need to be reported through the MA firearms portal. Is this something they need to do prior or after the transfer. As well as go through the ffl? Do they even have to report this seeing they are transferring through an fflnout of state? Thank you..

Attachments

• received_754665583378629.jpeg
    received_754665583378629.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 5
  • received_357802406928518.jpeg
    received_357802406928518.jpeg
    211.8 KB · Views: 5
EFA-10s are for private sales. All they need to do is to deliver the guns to a RI FFL. I’m not familiar with RI laws so I can’t tell you whether it is legal under RI law for a MA resident to possess the guns in RI while they bring them to the RI FFL.

If they are selling to you in RI, they just bring it to an RI FFL and you have the FFL process the 4473. No need for an FA-10 on the seller's side as they are not selling to another MA resident.

And then chEOPS has a minor meltdown as they can't "trace" the gun. Blacktacopters inbound. Unnamed agencies contacted. Expect to be beaten up, your dog shot, and then arrested. (Both you and the aforementioned dog, in case you were wondering.)

And then chEOPS has a minor meltdown as they can't "trace" the gun. Blacktacopters inbound. Unnamed agencies contacted. Expect to be beaten up, your dog shot, and then arrested. (Both you and the aforementioned dog, in case you were wondering.)
That is complete and utter nonsense. There is no duty to report out of state sales. None. Nada. Zippo. Zilch.

I thought a MA resident will have to bring it to a MA FFL who will ship (via USPS) to a RI FFL.
I'm not sure (I could be wrong) the MA resident can bring a firearm directly to a RI FFL. If it is possible and the current owner doesn't have a RI LTC make sure it's locked in the trunk. No point in having an awkward conversation with a cop becuase RI doesn't honor a MA LTC.

I know the FFL I deal with will only accept a transfer from:
a) another FFL
b) a private sale between two residents of RI

They won't accept even a "mail-in" from a private party. But that could be just their own practice for reason unknown to me

You are correct the buyer/recipient in RI (absent a current RI LTC) will have to wait 7 days (and they run background check and notify local PD in whatever town in RI). Also, the buyer would need a blue card at minimum.
With an active LTC it's fill out the 4473, and out the door gun in and in a few minutes.

Maybe the best thing to do is to call a RI FFL and ask 'What's the deal? How do I make this happen?"

This was similar to the question I asked not too long ago about my friend whose dad's days are numbered and she wanted to know about getting his guns from KY to RI. Interstate meant FFL to FFL I thought (except for inheritences)

Last edited:
This was similar to the question I asked not too long ago about my friend whose dad's days are numbered and she wanted to know about getting his guns from KY to RI. Interstate meant FFL to FFL I thought (except for inheritences)
She should have them bequested to her and bring them back from KY after attending the funeral.

I thought a MA resident will have to bring it to a MA FFL who will ship (via USPS) to a RI FFL.
I'm not sure (I could be wrong) the MA resident can bring a firearm directly to a RI FFL. If it is possible and the current owner doesn't have a RI LTC make sure it's locked in the trunk. No point in having an awkward conversation with a cop becuase RI doesn't honor a MA LTC.

I know the FFL I deal with will only accept a transfer from:
a) another FFL
b) a private sale between two residents of RI

They won't accept even a "mail-in" from a private party. But that could be just their own practice for reason unknown to me

You are correct the buyer/recipient in RI (absent a current RI LTC) will have to wait 7 days (and they run background check and notify local PD in whatever town in RI).
With an active LTC it's fill out the 4473, and out the door gun in and in a few minutes.

Maybe the best thing to do is to call a RI FFL and ask 'What's the deal? How do I make this happen?"

There’s no need to go FFL to FFL, the FFL is only needed on the buying side to do the background check. Many use a seller side FFL because the states aren’t close together or it’s not legal to cross the border with it, and the buyer's FFL won’t accept private party shipments.

Unless there’s some weird RI law I’m unaware of, if the seller is legal to possess in RI they should be able to bring it to the buyer's FFL.

There’s no need to go FFL to FFL, the FFL is only needed on the buying side to do the background check. Many use a seller side FFL because the states aren’t close together or it’s not legal to cross the border with it, and the buyer's FFL won’t accept private party shipments.

Unless there’s some weird RI law I’m unaware of, if the seller is legal to possess in RI they should be able to bring it to the buyer's FFL.
As i said, it could just be a thing my preferred FFL does

But when I asked the question about getting guns from KY to RI I was told multiple times had to be FFL to FFL....dad couldn't thrown them in the UHaul and drive them to RI.
And he couldn't do the transfers in KY because she lives in RI

And if as some are saying it's entirely legal for the MA person to drive the gun to a RI FLL, does not MA think he owns that firearm in perpetuity because they is no way to record the sale out of state?

Now again...this is just one guy, but he says basically the same thing

Last edited:

But when I asked the question about getting guns from KY to RI I was told multiple times had to be FFL to FFL....dad couldn't thrown them in the UHaul and drive them to RI.
And he could do the transfers in KY but she live in RI

That is just your FFL's practice and there are a good amount of FFLs that won't accept from an individual. A lot of the time it's because when accepting shipments from individuals people are dumb. We all know people are dumb, but the FFL get a mystery box with no copy of the senders DL or information and no contact info for the buyer. So now the receiving FFL has a mystery gun on their hands. They don't want to deal with the BS.

That is just your FFL's practice and there are a good amount of FFLs that won't accept from an individual. A lot of the time it's because when accepting shipments from individuals people are dumb. We all know people are dumb, but the FFL get a mystery box with no copy of the senders DL or information and no contact info for the buyer. So now the receiving FFL has a mystery gun on their hands. They don't want to deal with the BS.
Could be. I am curious what the actual legality is....cause I'm not convinced of anything at this point

Can an out of state resident possess guns in RI or not? If they can, then there is no issue, just the FFL's being difficult.
Generally not without an LTC as far as I know. There are hunting exceptions for long gun I believe
They can transport through under the protection given by the FOPA (locked in the trunk).
Without an LTC, residents are able to possess in their home or place of business (or coming to/from...there is an exception for going to range too)
Non Residents without and LTC...SOL (alot like me when I go to MA)

Generally not without an LTC as far as I know.
They can transport through under the protection given by the FOPA (locked in the trunk).
Without an LTC, residents are able to possess in their home or place of business (or coming to/from...there is an exception for going to range too)
I'm not talking about RI residents. I'm talking about non-RI residents. Can they possess firearms in RI or not? Guessing isn't good enough. Provide a reference to the appropriate laws.

I'm not talking about RI residents. I'm talking about non-RI residents. Can they possess firearms in RI or not? Guessing isn't good enough. Provide a reference to the appropriate laws.
NO
It's the exact same for me as a RI resident when I go to MA. Other than FOPA protections I must have an LTC in MA (which I do, but that's not the point)
Which is what I said in the line after you stopped quoting my previous post. Non resident is SOL

§ 11-47-8. License or permit required for carrying pistol — Other weapons prohibited.

(a) No person shall, without a license or permit issued as provided in §§ 11-47-11, 11-47-12, and 11-47-18, carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed, except in his or her dwelling house or place of business or on land possessed by him or her or as provided in §§ 11-47-9 and 11-47-10. The provisions of these sections shall not apply to any person who is the holder of a valid license or permit issued by the licensing authority of another state, or territory of the United States, or political subdivision of the state or territory, allowing him or her to carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed, provided the person is merely transporting the firearm through the state in a vehicle or other conveyance without any intent on the part of the person to detain him or herself or remain within the state of Rhode Island. No person shall manufacture, sell, purchase, or possess a machine gun except as otherwise provided in this chapter. Every person violating the provision of this section shall, upon conviction, be punished by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than ten (10) years, or by a fine up to ten thousand dollars ($10,000), or both, and except for a first conviction under this section, shall not be afforded the provisions of suspension or deferment of sentence, nor a probation.

Last edited:
The only other difference would be going to a RI shooting range. Then you have to have a locked range bag in the trunk and have the ammo separate from the range bag in the vehicle. Do your shooting put the locked bag back in the vehicle and go straight back to MA without stopping.

NO
It's the exact same for me as a RI resident when I go to MA. Other than FOPA protections I must have an LTC in MA (which I do, but that's not the point)
Which is what I said in the line after you stopped quoting my previous post. Non resident is SOL

§ 11-47-8. License or permit required for carrying pistol — Other weapons prohibited.

(a) No person shall, without a license or permit issued as provided in §§ 11-47-11, 11-47-12, and 11-47-18, carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed, except in his or her dwelling house or place of business or on land possessed by him or her or as provided in §§ 11-47-9 and 11-47-10. The provisions of these sections shall not apply to any person who is the holder of a valid license or permit issued by the licensing authority of another state, or territory of the United States, or political subdivision of the state or territory, allowing him or her to carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed, provided the person is merely transporting the firearm through the state in a vehicle or other conveyance without any intent on the part of the person to detain him or herself or remain within the state of Rhode Island. No person shall manufacture, sell, purchase, or possess a machine gun except as otherwise provided in this chapter. Every person violating the provision of this section shall, upon conviction, be punished by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than ten (10) years, or by a fine up to ten thousand dollars ($10,000), or both, and except for a first conviction under this section, shall not be afforded the provisions of suspension or deferment of sentence, nor a probation.
That’s carrying a pistol. I don’t see restrictions on unloaded transport of a pistol or rifle.

The carve out for non residents is that they can now carry (on their person) passing through the state.

And he couldn't do the transfers in KY because she lives in RI

And if as some are saying it's entirely legal for the MA person to drive the gun to a RI FLL, does not MA think he owns that firearm in perpetuity because they is no way to record the sale out of state?

Now again...this is just one guy, but he says basically the same thing

Sorry, but no law prevented your dad from driving those guns to a RI FFL that would be willing to do the transfer. FOPA protects on transport and FFL is only needed in the buyers state. Guns are bought and sold across the country this way by residents in neighboring states.

To your MA question, the same thing happens if you sell the gun to a MA FFL. There is no FA10 done by you, the seller. The portal is write only. Nothing ever comes off your name, even in a private sale. It’s a database of transactions not a database of current ownership.

To your MA question, the same thing happens if you sell the gun to a MA FFL. There is no FA10 done by you, the seller. The portal is write only. Nothing ever comes off your name, even in a private sale. It’s a database of transactions not a database of current ownership.
Yup. I’ve sold a number of guns on consignment at a MA FFL. There was no EFA-10 done when I delivered the guns to the dealer — they just gave me a receipt

That is complete and utter nonsense. There is no duty to report out of state sales. None. Nada. Zippo. Zilch.

Nuh uh!!!!!! [rofl]

(and my point is that it is carried as "your gun" in their crap chEOPS records for a Khufu long time. Because teh STATE doesn't understand what they are even tracking.)

Sorry, but no law prevented your dad from driving those guns to a RI FFL that would be willing to do the transfer. FOPA protects on transport and FFL is only needed in the buyers state. Guns are bought and sold across the country this way by residents in neighboring states.

That's is what i would have thought as well, but the masses HERE on this very site said had to go FFL to FFL (multiple people) and it was most expedient for the owner to leave them to the daughter in his will (and she could drive home with them after the funeral)

The way I read that law as quoted is that someone who posses the firearm legally in their state (which is sounds like is the case) can drive through the state, but it specifically says no intention to stop/stay...much like the FOPA...through...meaning the destination exists outside RI.

Maybe I've only dealt with a couple stiff FFL's but neither I've done business with would touch a private sale from a MA to RI resident

Legal or not it's worth a call the the FFL to RI to see if they'll do it

Got it thanks. So you can’t carry or transport in a bus, train, bike, car, etc.

But that only applies to pistols and revolvers, not rifles or shotguns.
That's not what is says....just that fragment. It's says without an LTC issued in RI you can't (there are non resident LTC's issued).
There are several exceptions (for residents and coming to/from range...to/from gunsmith....from LGS in original box)

If you're up for the chat with the local PD with a rifle laying across your front seat, have at it. Even if you're 100% right, it can be a very long day

Nuh uh!!!!!! [rofl]

(and my point is that it is carried as "your gun" in their crap chEOPS records for a Khufu long time. Because teh STATE doesn't understand what they are even tracking.)
My response was correct. Your point was buried amid what was either incorrect pantshitting or a weak attempt at joking, both of which just confuse people trying to get accurate information.

Your further explanation doesn’t help either. What EOPS tracks isn’t a function of what “the state doesn’t understand what they are even tracking.” It is based upon state law. EOPS can’t add new tracking requirements just because they want to better track your guns. MA law doesn’t require you to notify the state when you sell your gun to a dealer (in state or out of state). And if you do sell a gun via an out of state dealer, EOPS isn’t going to come after you, nor is any law enforcement agency. It is wise to maintain a record of such transactions.

Yes, the result is that EOPS records will show that you purchased a gun that you have since later sold and it is never removed from your EOPS record and that sale doesn’t show up in the EOPS database. So what? Every law enforcement officer in MA with any experience with the EOPS records understands this.

My buddy from Michigan sold me a rifle. He shipped FFL to FFL for one reason - cost. The FFL charged him $20 to ship + $20 to transfer. The shipping cost for a rifle in a hard case would have been north of $60 and a PITA for him driving it somewhere to drop it off.

My buddy from Michigan sold me a rifle. He shipped FFL to FFL for one reason - cost. The FFL charged him $20 to ship + $20 to transfer. The shipping cost for a rifle in a hard case would have been north of $60 and a PITA for him driving it somewhere to drop it off.
I think cause FFL’s can use usps (and I don’t think regular peeps can). I paid less than $20 MA to RI for pistol. UPS/Fedex (if they even do it) probably lots more.

I think cause FFL’s can use usps (and I don’t think regular peeps can). I paid less than $20 MA to RI for pistol. UPS/Fedex (if they even do it) probably lots more.
Even USPS, they must get better pricing as a business. When I price it using their online calculators, it is a lot more than $40.

Back
Top Bottom