MA to NH Transfer

Wait, so I can't drive to NH with a firearm and just do a bill of sale for anything other than a pistol? I though this was legal, both ways. ie - I drive to NH, buy a long arm, drive back to mass, process FA10 within 10 days. opposite way, drive to NH, sell firearm, makeup a bill of sale, no FA10.

No. Like others and I have said.

1) Drive to NH
2) Meet your friend at the licensee of your choice.
3) Have the Licensee to the transfer, complete with a form 4473 and a NICS check.

NH does not care about this transfer. This must be done to comply with the ATF which requires that when a gun goes moves from one state to another, its handled by a licensee.

Don

drgrant and scott, thanks for the info.

M1911, thanks for the quote.

It has been a while and I must have been confusing it. No problem going to NH and buy any long gun from an FFL or transfer them from a private sale at an FFL. Once back in ma, FA10 within 10 days.

Thanks for the clarification and information to all.

FA-10 within 7 days (not 10). Rest of the info is correct.

I guess it depends on how you define registered.

The Feds do not know about the gun. The dealer completes the 4473 and stores it. The nics check he does does not include any info about the firearm other than whether its a long gun, handgun, or other.

Yes, the feds can "trace" a gun from manufacturer to distributor to dealer. But it is a manual process.

The NICS check and 4473s to not provide the info necessary for the feds to do a reverse kind of search. i.e. pull up your name and see all the guns associated with your name.

Again - the 4473s are NOT sent to the feds. They are stored by the dealer, to be produced by the dealer if the feds come in with a specific name of serial number they are looking for.

What about the new e-4473's some dealers are using, such as H&S in Auburn ???
Also, when a dealer closes down shop or loses his FFL, the ATF takes all those 4473's and keeps them on file.
And I don't believe for a second that they're not entering them into a database.

Last edited:
What about the new e-4473's some dealers are using, such as H&S in Auburn ???
Also, when a dealer closes down shop or loses his FFL, the ATF takes all those 4473's and keeps them on file.
And I don't believe for a second that they're not entering them into a database.

The e-4473 is just supposed to be a paper form that you fill out on a computer, with no on-line data capabilities.

I don't believe that one bit. Which is why nobody should use one. Most dealers use a PRIVATELY provided electronic system to fill out 4473s.
This is safe because the form isn't being provided to you via GOVERNMENT provided piece of software.

One thing to remember is that the e4473 system is a downloaded and installed piece of software. It flags omissions, autocompletes towns based on zip, etc. Lots of good stuff if you are a dealer and don't want to make mistakes.

The only way I'd use it is if I could run it on a completely disconnected PC with no access to either my local network or the Internet. All it would have is a printer to print the output.

That makes sense. You get the benefit of the "smart" 4473, without the security risk.

Don

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom