MA resident with LTC searched in New Hampshire

This would only be a non issue inconstitutional carry states like Vermont.

how every state should be! after all it is the UNITED states of America and OUR rights come for the constitution. States even have it in there constitutions, people seem to forget or don't care about freedoms !

Hindsight being 20/20, the BEST thing one could have done in this circumstance (as a passenger) is quickly unload the gun, put the mag/spare round in your pocket, and the gun back in the holster or (if too obvious) on the floor.

"Yes, officer, it is my firearm, but it is unloaded since I know this is the law in New Hampshire without a permit."

This is exactly what I was thinking when I read this. Especially if they were cranking along it's not like they were pulled over with the cop behind them in half a second. Especially since he wasn't the driver. Pop the mag and empty the chamber and do whatever with the pistol. In NH it really doesn't matter. In this case he really did NOTHING to help himself. As much as we dislike the laws NH has very easy work arounds and you can't fix stupid.

^^This^^....Or at least be smart enough to unload, and lock your weapon.

Sad thing is that locking it up isn't even a requirement.[thinking]

Hindsight being 20/20, the BEST thing one could have done in this circumstance (as a passenger) is quickly unload the gun, put the mag/spare round in your pocket, and the gun back in the holster or (if too obvious) on the floor.

"Yes, officer, it is my firearm, but it is unloaded since I know this is the law in New Hampshire without a permit."

With a few exceptions, though, most people carrying in NH without a P/R in an MV are not bright enough to do something like this. They don't even know they're breaking the law to begin with, so it doesn't occur to them that they should take an expedient measure like this.

-Mike

I think it was a Terry Stop, Mike. The officer ordered everyone out of the car, and it would be standard procedure to pat everybody down "for safety". OP stated the person was concealed carrying (on his person I presume). It's not clear that the car was ever searched, although it might have been. No warrant or consent needed, per the Supremes.

It could be, but you know as well as I do that the police are allowed to lie to people, and you can basically perform any search you want as long as you get permission. I'm not sure of the constraints under Terry but if he consented, none of that matters.

-Mike

It could be, but you know as well as I do that the police are allowed to lie to people, and you can basically perform any search you want as long as you get permission. I'm not sure of the constraints under Terry but if he consented, none of that matters.

-Mike
Yep, I agree about the lying part. In answer to your question, a search conducted with a Terry stop is limited to a patdown of the outer garments (they can't reach inside your boxers). Anything that can be felt that is suspected of being a weapon is fair game at that point. They can also search anything that is in plain view (on the seat of the car for example).

how every state should be! after all it is the UNITED states of America and OUR rights come for the constitution. States even have it in there constitutions, people seem to forget or don't care about freedoms !

Our rights do not come from the constitution. Our rights come from God, or Nature, or however you want to define it. The constitution just recognizes those rights and expressly prohibits government from violating them.

Yep, I agree about the lying part. In answer to your question, a search conducted with a Terry stop is limited to a patdown of the outer garments (they can't reach inside your boxers). Anything that can be felt that is suspected of being a weapon is fair game at that point. They can also search anything that is in plain view (on the seat of the car for example).

I do believe that is not totally correct. I can not remember the exact case in which this happened, but I do remember it happening. Just because something is in plain view, does not mean it is all in plain view. The case example, a locked toolbox. The toolbox itself is in plain view, however, the content of that said toolbox is not. You can look at that toolbox all you want, but the content is not visable, so not searchable.

If anyone remembers the case I'm referring to, please advise.

Before I got my CC in NH I use to do this before crossing. The guy would have had more than enough time between "oh, crap. I'm getting pulled over" and when the LEO left the cruiser as I do not think it is too unusual for people to be shuffling once they see the lights, especially passengers trying to get a look. He could have even asked the driver to take a little while to pull over "at a safe location." 20/20 indeed.

Just to clarify, if he had unloaded the weapon and locked in in the trunk, (or locked container) he would have been o.k right ?
But not so in RI if he intended to stop there
In nh it is my understanding he could have had it unloaded......and on the seat beside him and he'd have been fine.

Interesting. First time I hear that. So concealed gun with mag in pocket is ok !
Damn this is complicated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. First time I hear that. So concealed gun with mag in pocket is ok !
Damn this is complicated

Don't take anyone's word for it. Re-quoting the actual law here (bold mine):

Title XII Chapter 159 Section 159:4

159:4 Carrying Without License. – No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle or concealed upon his person, except in his dwelling, house or place of business, without a valid license therefor as hereinafter provided. A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges. Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall, for the first such offense, be guilty of a misdemeanor. For the second and for each subsequent violation of the provisions of this section, such person shall be guilty of a class B felony, provided such second or subsequent violation has occurred within 7 years of the previous conviction.

159:4 Carrying Without License. – No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle or concealed upon his person, except in his dwelling, house or place of business, without a valid license therefor as hereinafter provided. A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges. Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall, for the first such offense, be guilty of a misdemeanor. For the second and for each subsequent violation of the provisions of this section, such person shall be guilty of a class B felony, provided such second or subsequent violation has occurred within 7 years of the previous conviction.

Following along with this, the Dor case clarified the definition of "loaded" in NH (actually "with" but semantics lol) because the AG decided to take the broadest definition possible in charging someone. The AG lost.

NES thread on the discussion of this case:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...nition-must-be-in-gun-for-weapon-to-be-loaded

- - - Updated - - -

Rounds have to be removed from the magazines, correct?

No. Magazine separate from gun is considered unloaded. Read the link above.

Thanks, no I was not going to take anybody's word :)
Being on the cautionary side, I would still lock it in my trunk though. Just to avoid the hassle.

No. Magazine separate from gun is considered unloaded. Read the link above.
That bolded sentence seems clear to me when it says a "magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges". Meaning (to me at least) the magazine should not have any rounds in it.

Rhode Island has similar wording regarding carrying long guns in vehicles, and it is widely interpreted here that all magazines have to be unloaded as well as the chamber in the gun. As far as I know it has not been tested in our State courts.

§ 11-47-51 Loaded weapons in vehicles. – It is unlawful for any person to have in his or her possession a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun or a rifle or shotgun from the magazine of which all shells and cartridges have not been removed, in or on any vehicle or conveyance or its attachments while upon or along any public highway, road, lane, or trail within this state; [...]

But I'm not going to argue with the court's interpretation. I guess that's why I'm not a lawyer.

Or get your non-resident permit. Mine arrived about 10 days after I mailed the application!

This...

Buying a stay out of "trouble and jail for 4 years while in NH" card for $100 is the best investment anyone could make.

-Mike

That bolded sentence seems clear to me when it says a "magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges". Meaning (to me at least) the magazine should not have any rounds in it.

Rhode Island has similar wording regarding carrying long guns in vehicles, and it is widely interpreted here that all magazines have to be unloaded as well as the chamber in the gun. As far as I know it has not been tested in our State courts.

But I'm not going to argue with the court's interpretation. I guess that's why I'm not a lawyer.

Only if the magazine loaded with cartridges is actually inserted into the firearm. I.e. you can have an empty mag in the firearm or a full mag NOT in the firearm.

Damn this is complicated

In NH yes concealed is fine as long as the gun is unloaded.....I carry a revolver so removed the carteridges and put them in the glove box and kept the revolver on my hip........that is how I rolled up there till my P and R came in.

Last edited:
As I understand it, *when* word filters back to the Chief in the OP's friend's town, he *could* lose his LTC?

Can he simply move to NH prior to that and be OK there? Would NH care about this wrt a resident P&R?

Don't take anyone's word for it. Re-quoting the actual law here (bold mine): Title XII Chapter 159 Section 159:4
The word "with" was a possible issue until last year, when it was clarified in State of NH v. Oriol Dor (ruling on 8/7/2013). The New Hampshire Supreme Court ruled that ammunition must be in a weapon (not just adjacent) for a gun to be loaded under state law.

Last edited:
I am a little confused? is having it and driving in a car concealed? Also thought it had to be unloaded?

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/faq.html#A4

• I would like to bring my handgun into New Hampshire, yet I don’t have a license to carry concealed. How may I carry?
    • You may carry unloaded in your vehicle. Be sure that the ammunition is separate from the gun.
    • You may carry loaded on your person. The weapon needs to be fully exposed. For example, it may not be concealed by a shirt or a jacket, or located in a backpack.
    • You may carry unloaded and concealed on your person, so long as you do not possess any ammunition on your person.
    • Please refer t0 RSA 159 for additional information.

For $100 you get a plastic card and peace of mind for 4 5 years

I am a little confused? is having it and driving in a car concealed? Also thought it had to be unloaded? http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/faq.html#A4
Loaded firearm in an automobile has nothing to do with being concealed.

The website is out of date, the phrasing "so long as you do not possess any ammunition on your person" was never the law. This and the meaning of "loaded" or "with" was clarified by state supreme court last year (State of NH v. Oriol Dor (dated 8/7/2013). , see my previous posts to this thread.

TL;DR: spend the $100, wait two weeks, and you'll have a Non-Resident Pistol/Revolver License and nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

Case law, from last August I think, clarifies what loaded means. Loaded mag NOT in gun, chamber empty.

Edited: others already chimed in with updated laws.

Last edited:
I am a little confused? is having it and driving in a car concealed? Also thought it had to be unloaded?

Contrary to a huge LIE that keeps getting spread around (that I've since grown tired of correcting people on, it's not worth it because they just keep parroting it over and over again like the broken record player from maniac mansion) the car thing in NH has nothing to do with concealment, at all. It only has to do with whether or not the gun is loaded. To possess a loaded handgun in an MV in NH requires a license. It's literally that simple.

-Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom