MA Legality: Black Powder Sunset Cannons

After studying the Mass Gun Laws, I'm confused about the legality of owning and firing a sunset saluting cannon in Massachusetts. The cannon I'm curious about is here:

http://www.thecannonstore.com/details.asp?prodID=SSC

If any attorneys read this, can you answer the following questions:

1) Is it legal to purchase and/or possess the 10-Gauge Black Powder blank shells that this fires if I do not have an FID/LTC? The shells are here: http://www.thecannonstore.com/details.asp?prodID=W10GB

2) Is it legal to fire this cannon within 500 feet of a dwelling in use in MA?

Thank you

The shells alone would be considered ammunition in MA and you would need at least an FID to even lawfully possess them.

There is also a cannon firing license in MA, but I would wager a guess that this type
of cannon is exempt because it uses a firearm cartridge.

-Mike

IANAL

I think you'd have a hard time finding someone to sell it to you if you don't have an fid, even if it is legal.

Getting the fid is cheap insurance against the legal fees of being a test case.

The shells alone would be considered ammunition in MA and you would need at least an FID to even lawfully possess them.

There is also a cannon firing license in MA, but I would wager a guess that this type
of cannon is exempt because it uses a firearm cartridge.

-Mike
...And because it'd probably be a firearm, it'd be subject to the 500' from a dwelling rule, the 150' from a road rule, and any of the various "no discharge" local ordinances.

Bottom line is that you're not going to get away without some sort of license and/or certification and/or the approval of the local police and/or fire chief.

Mike's right, it's not considered a cannon as it isn't "loaded from the muzzle" (527 CMR 22.02).

I also agree that a FID would be necessary to purchase/possess the shells.

IANAL, YMMV, etc.

The 500' rule applies if he doesn't have consent. If his neighbor's house is at least 500' away that doesn't matter.

You'd be surprised at how many houses/homeowners could be w/in 500' of your property! I sure was.

I'm on 3/4 acre in an area where all houses are 3/4-1 acre lots. When I did the addition to my home, they had to send certified mail to every homeowner w/in 500' of my property . . . there were 11 neighbors that had to be notified. I was very surprised!

Unless the OP lives deep in the woods with no neighbors, jumping thru the hoops is probably not worth it.

Back
Top Bottom