MA legal question for AR 15

Anyone know if it is legal to put a foregrip on an AR 15 in MA...Telescoping buttstock is Illegal in MA is this correct? Thanks

Stock needs to be pinned in place. No bayonet lug and you can't have a flash supressor, only a muzzlebreak. Unless it is a preban AR and was in Ma prior to the AWB

There is nothing to debate. It is the law. Just like pre-ban "high" capacity mags are legal to own.

Now I'm confused, are you agreeing with me or disagreeing? :)

My interpretation is that as long as the rifle was in pre-ban config before the ban, it's gtg, even if it was in another state at the time.

Ok so foregrip is legal but telescoping buttstock has to be pinned.. What's the point of pinning it then! I want it to be adjustable to fit different shooters.. My husband has a longer reach than myself and we need to easily adjust it. It is not pre ban so I need to be compliant.

Ok so foregrip is legal but telescoping buttstock has to be pinned.. What's the point of pinning it then! I want it to be adjustable to fit different shooters.. My husband has a longer reach than myself and we need to easily adjust it. It is not pre ban so I need to be compliant.

Just a good reason to own at least one more AR15. [laugh]

Sounds like you either need to sell this rifle and buy a preban (which you could both use) or buy a second rifle.

Also, you really need to research the laws a little, they are very confusing, but you clearly have no knowledge base.

Gun Girl, I think this thread will help you a lot.
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ws/157704-ma-assault-weapons-ban-awb-faq.html

Specifically
How so called "Assault Weapons" are defined by the law:

Rifles:
(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) a grenade launcher;

NOTE WELL: Given (B), this means that things like PUMP and BOLT ACTION rifles are EXEMPT from the AWB.

Because ARs have pistol grips, they automatically start off with the one evil feature already.

Thread jack alert: Do all muzzle breaks need to be pinned and welded, or just ones on barrels under 16" in length?

All compensators/muzzle breaks must be pinned & welded. One of the "bad" features alongside flash suppressors is a threaded barrel.

Thanks for info.. I have been reading the laws and they are beyond confusing. The police themselves are unsure of the gun laws in Ma.. I have spoken to a lawyer who is also a firearms instructor and he said the laws are extremely difficult to understand. Thank you though to all who helped and gave me some informative responses. Didn't expect the rude response of one member but I guess some people just suck.

The reason I am confused about the foregrip is because of the AWB that says you can't have more than 2 things on the list... Because an Ar 15 already has the pistol grip and the detachable magazine I figured that's why I cannot have a foregrip. So how is a foregrip legal? Wouldn't having a foregrip make it an assault weapon now because of the other features?

Somehow the geniuses who designed the AWB laws decided that a rifle with a stock that can be quickly adjusted to properly fit the shooter is somehow more dangerous than one that can't. It's for the children.

Thanks for info.. I have been reading the laws and they are beyond confusing. The police themselves are unsure of the gun laws in Ma.. I have spoken to a lawyer who is also a firearms instructor and he said the laws are extremely difficult to understand. Thank you though to all who helped and gave me some informative responses. Didn't expect the rude response of one member but I guess some people just suck.

Welcome to NES, help us change things!

The reason I am confused about the foregrip is because of the AWB that says you can't have more than 2 things on the list... Because an Ar 15 already has the pistol grip and the detachable magazine I figured that's why I cannot have a foregrip. So how is a foregrip legal? Wouldn't having a foregrip make it an assault weapon now because of the other features?

Probably because the geniuses who designed the AWB laws didn't know what a foregrip was so they forgot to make it illegal. They did cover that shoulder thing that goes up though.

I wasn't trying to be rude, but, you own this rifle and you think a vert grip might be illegal? That's a red flag and I would not one u to get into trouble for other misinformation.

Stock needs to be pinned in place. No bayonet lug and you can't have a flash supressor, only a muzzlebreak. Unless it is a preban AR [STRIKE=undefined]and was in Ma prior to the AWB[/STRIKE]

FIFY

In MA before the ban? I know some people believe that, but I'm not one of them....

Me too!

There is nothing to debate. It is the law. Just like pre-ban "high" capacity mags are legal to own.

Please PROVE IT with a quotation from MGL C. 140 S. 131M where it states that it had to be in MA! If you are unable to do this, I kindly ask that you not spread your opinion as "law", as it confuses those who want to know what the actual black-letter law is.

Now I'm confused, are you agreeing with me or disagreeing? :)

My interpretation is that as long as the rifle was in pre-ban config before the ban, it's gtg, even if it was in another state at the time.

You are correct. EOPS Legal Dept has INTENTIONALLY been spewing mis-information, hoping that DAs will run with it and convict people for perfectly legal actions!

Yes they are confusing. You might check out my website (link in sig) and consider attending one of my MA Gun Law seminars. It will give you a much better grounding in the confusing MA gun laws.

If this was Gun GUY.... you never would have gotten this much help. [rofl]

mr-pink-elephant.jpg

Just having some fun Gun Girl. Welcome to the world of evil black rifles.

Back
Top Bottom