MA Laws about metal flashlights?

VG

I heard somewhere that there are laws covering the possession of a metal body flashlight in a crowd.

Am I imagining this, or if nnot, what are they?

AFAIK, there are no laws specific to flashlights. HOWEVER if you use it as a weapon (just like a "shod foot") you can expect the possibility of charges of Assault with a Dangerous Weapon.

So it is not the device, but how it is used that makes it a potential weapon.

Edited to correct terminology on advice of counsel. [wink]

Re: flashlight

jcohen said:
I once saw a "ADW Cat"!

That might well be my daughter-in-law's cat, a close relative of the notorious Pythonesque rabbit. [evil]

BTW, glad to see you back, Jesse. Are you back for real, or just checking in from FL?

Ken

I think there is a new bill in the house limitting the battery capacity to less than 3 unless you have a ltc Class A. However the AG says the flashlight can only be sold in MA if it is constructed foam, has a length of no more than 0.002", and has three safety devices preventing accidental illumination in the case of it being dropped. And unlike rifles affected by the AWB, it MUST have a flash suppressor, lest it be of any use... [roll]

Re: flashlight

KMaurer said:
jcohen said:
I once saw a "ADW Cat"!

That might well be my daughter-in-law's cat, a close relative of the notorious Pythonesque rabbit. [evil]

BTW, glad to see you back, Jesse. Are you back for real, or just checking in from FL?

Ken

Ken,

He really is back to stay. I met with Jesse on Friday.

matt said:
I think there is a new bill in the house limitting the battery capacity to less than 3 unless you have a ltc Class A. However the AG says the flashlight can only be sold in MA if it is constructed foam, has a length of no more than 0.002", and has three safety devices preventing accidental illumination in the case of it being dropped. And unlike rifles affected by the AWB, it MUST have a flash suppressor, lest it be of any use... [roll]

It should have a trigger lock when traveling. You can not bring it in a post office.

But I think with a C&R you can buy ANY flashlight from a cheesy mail order company or online auction if the flashlight is older then 50 years in age, or on the special Curio and Relic flashlight List.

matt said:

[lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]

Nickle said:
No, that would be illegal, since it would be one of those dreaded "High Capacity Assault Flashlights".

You mean, one of these?

assaultflashlight.JPG

FOR SALE: Pre-Ban 4-D cell MAG light, like new in box. FTF only in MA with LTC "A" holder. Will consider trades for MA legal Surefire or Streamlight. [lol]

mAss Backwards said:
I might be interested. Is that a 3rd-generation Maglite with finger grooves?

I think it's a pre ban Mag Lite, but I'm not sure. The only way to tell is to count the lines per inch of the knurled part of the barrel, er tube.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom