• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA law regarding Amount of Ammunition???

Thanks guys!

I sent an Email to the fire chief ~1 month ago. Hadn't heard back, so I dropped in the fire station. Didn't realize he'd been on vacation. He teaches martial arts and attends some conference every year in Canada . . . his 18th year he tells me. That was his first day back after vacation, so he was just going thru all the Email that had accumulated.

So, instead of getting a nicely documented reply, I had to settle for sitting down and listening to him read damn near every paragraph in the CMR. [rolleyes] We did have some interesting discussions on it however. It just chewed up a lot of my end of the day and I still had other business to take care of.

LenS, its because of the accurate information posted by yourself and others that I arrived here and stayed. Your efforts are appreciated !

[laugh2] No, as a matter of fact they are ONLY for a single family house.

Further restrictions apply for a multi-residence building!

These regs are for firefighting purposes, they aren't anti-gun, but they do want to restrict at least some quantities of flammables in a building.

What are the ammo restrictions for an apartment building?

Check the referenced CMR. Just realize that those are MAXIMUMS and as my pro-gun fire chief told me, they can restrict you to 1 # of powder and lesser amounts of ammo than the CMR allows for.

The CMR is online in case you don't find it directly quoted here. Since I haven't lived in an apartment or any multi-family dwelling since 1974, I haven't paid any attention to those rules.

I currently store my bulk ammo in a gun safe (like lots of folks).

Based on some of the previous posts alluding to 'building a bomb' when enclosing ammo in a small space, have I built a bomb? Thoughts please.

I'd appreciate comments from others on what types of containers they use for bulk ammo storage (i.e. larger than ammo cans). Do you bolt down your large ammo stores, as you do a gun safe?

Thanks.

IBased on some of the previous posts alluding to 'building a bomb' when enclosing ammo in a small space, have I built a bomb? Thoughts please.

Mythbusters did a show a while ago where they put a round in an oven and turned on the heat. When the round went off, the bullet did not have enough force to make it out of the oven. In fact, the casing made more of a dent in the oven wall than the bullet if I remember correctly. It would be interesting to see them (or somebody) try it with a large amount of ammo instead of just one round and see what happens.

I just applied for my permit and got it for $50. It says I can have up to 5 lbs of ammunition. WTF? I sent them a copy of the law and stated I was looking for a permit on all allowances. Waiting to hear back.

I just applied for my permit and got it for $50. It says I can have up to 5 lbs of ammunition. WTF? I sent them a copy of the law and stated I was looking for a permit on all allowances. Waiting to hear back.

$50? Sounds high.

And weight is only for propellant; not ammo.

$50? Sounds high.

And weight is only for propellant; not ammo.

Yea it's high, the benefit of living in my town I guess. The law shows 2 limits for propellant, 5 lbs for black powder and 48 pounds for smokeless.

Can I assume because I have the permit, I can have the permitted limits listed in the law for everything including ammo and smokeless powder or because of the wording on the permit I am only permitted 5 lbs of powder with no other increased ammunition limits?

" Clearly state purpose for which permit is requested."
"To store ammunition not exceeding 5 lbs in residence"

That is all it says.

" Clearly state purpose for which permit is requested."
"To store ammunition not exceeding 5 lbs in residence"

That is all it says.

Then it would appear that the competence of your permit's drafting is in inverse proportion to its price.

LOL. But is the wording a restriction or does the permit allow for the legal limits of the law?

The wording is a RESTRICTION, unless it mimics the CMR. The CMR gives discretion to the Fire Chief to permit LOWER amounts than in the CMR . . . and that is what your Fire Chief did in a very big way! [shocked] [frown]

Later on it says ( I just realised this )

"Restrictions: Storage per 527 CMR 13.00. Permit holder must have valid license to possess ammunition."

He said he will reword it and send it back to me.

I asked him to re-word the top part for clearly stating reason to:

"to increase limits of the storage of ammunition IAW 527 CMR 13.00"

Well they fixed my permit. Now it says to store ammunition IAW limits per 527 CMR 13.00

Those guys are great. All I had to do was ask. the limitation was unintended.

Peruse this at your leisure:
http://www.goal.org/misc/faq/powder.html

EXCERPT.....
527 CMR 13.04: Licenses, Registrations, Permits and Certificates

(1) Exemption: License, Registration, or Permit: In accordance with the provisions of M.G.L. c. 148 § 13, the Board hereby prescribes the following quantities of explosive materials that shall be exempt from License, Registration, and Permit and may be kept, or stored in a building or other structure:

(a) Small Arms Ammunition

1. Not more than 10,000 rounds of rim fire ammunition.

2. Not more than 10,000 rounds of center fire ammunition.

3. Not more than 5,000 rounds of shotgun ammunitiion.
Question. New to MA. Took my certification course, got my license and all. But I am afraid some may not be legal. Some have 30 round clips. Thought it wouldn’t be a problem but not so. Sure. Do you think I can register a blackout 300 from AL to MA.with 10 round clips vs the 30.

And my 50/70 lever action. So confusing.

Question. New to MA. Took my certification course, got my license and all. But I am afraid some may not be legal. Some have 30 round clips. Thought it wouldn’t be a problem but not so. Sure. Do you think I can register a blackout 300 from AL to MA.with 10 round clips vs the 30.

this thread about ammo quantity limits is not really the right place to ask about possession of specific firearms

if you brought them with you when you moved, they don't have to be recorded in the eFA-10 system

beyond that, there are two questions
  • are any (alleged) large capacity feeding devices older than September 14, 1994?
  • are any firearms that could be so-called "assault weapons" either older than the Federal ban or configured in a compliant manner?

If you want to be legal. (You are asking the question)
Do not register anything that you brought, you can but it is not a requirement….yet
Take the rifle apart, now, if they are modern and make them compliant. Pined/welded (not the lever action one)

Get the magazines out of state if they are modern

Last edited:

Welcome. Buy a Glock [smile]

Peruse this at your leisure:
http://www.goal.org/misc/faq/powder.html

EXCERPT.....
527 CMR 13.04: Licenses, Registrations, Permits and Certificates

(1) Exemption: License, Registration, or Permit: In accordance with the provisions of M.G.L. c. 148 § 13, the Board hereby prescribes the following quantities of explosive materials that shall be exempt from License, Registration, and Permit and may be kept, or stored in a building or other structure:

(a) Small Arms Ammunition

1. Not more than 10,000 rounds of rim fire ammunition.

2. Not more than 10,000 rounds of center fire ammunition.

3. Not more than 5,000 rounds of shotgun ammunitiion.
This was back in 2005 has this been updated?

Back
Top Bottom