MA: Identifying Pre-Ban Glock Mags

I'll tell you what my trainer told me at my last Glock Cert'd Armorers class. When the Fed AWB went into affect Glock moved the caliber designation up towards the feed lips to make room for the "Restricted, LE Only" marking. If you look at your mags you'll see the BOTTOM of the "9mm" caliber designation letters is in line with the magazine stop protrusion on the left side of the mag. The pre-ban mags cailber designation had the TOP of the "9mm" almost in line with the mag stop protrusion. According to my instructor when the AWB expired, Glock removed the "Restricted, LE Only" wording but left the caliber designation in the upper position to save having to build new mag molds. So according to my instructor, if your caliber designation numbers/letters sits above the mag stop protrusion then they are post ban, if it sits below the mag stop protrusion then its pre-ban.
I confirm what LenS said about Glock not dating their mags etc but just giving you what was taught to me and is being taught to civs/LEOs at all Glock Armorer classes.

That's wonderful- so they're telling armorers stuff that's not based on anything the company has officially stated? [laugh]

Either that or some of these trainers are just parroting things they read in various books about Glocks.

-Mike

I'll tell you what my trainer told me at my last Glock Cert'd Armorers class. When the Fed AWB went into affect Glock moved the caliber designation up towards the feed lips to make room for the "Restricted, LE Only" marking. If you look at your mags you'll see the BOTTOM of the "9mm" caliber designation letters is in line with the magazine stop protrusion on the left side of the mag. The pre-ban mags cailber designation had the TOP of the "9mm" almost in line with the mag stop protrusion. According to my instructor when the AWB expired, Glock removed the "Restricted, LE Only" wording but left the caliber designation in the upper position to save having to build new mag molds. So according to my instructor, if your caliber designation numbers/letters sits above the mag stop protrusion then they are post ban, if it sits below the mag stop protrusion then its pre-ban.
I confirm what LenS said about Glock not dating their mags etc but just giving you what was taught to me and is being taught to civs/LEOs at all Glock Armorer classes.

Generally believed to be true. HOWEVER IT IS NOT TRUE!

Reference Pat Sweeney's book on Glocks. I quoted the info in this thread some years ago. I also know another person who owned a G21, purchased during the Fed ban with "high marked" pre-ban mags (no LE/Mil markings which were Federally mandated during the Fed Ban).

That's wonderful- so they're telling armorers stuff that's not based on anything the company has officially stated? [laugh]

Either that or some of these trainers are just parroting things they read in various books about Glocks.

-Mike

Agreed, too bad they never read Sweeney's book on the matter before spouting off bad info. Precise reason I created the law seminar (see sig line below)!

Generally believed to be true. HOWEVER IT IS NOT TRUE!

Reference Pat Sweeney's book on Glocks. I quoted the info in this thread some years ago. I also know another person who owned a G21, purchased during the Fed ban with "high marked" pre-ban mags (no LE/Mil markings which were Federally mandated during the Fed Ban).

Agreed, too bad they never read Sweeney's book on the matter before spouting off bad info. Precise reason I created the law seminar (see sig line below)!

Just great, you'd think you would get the correct info from a Glock trainer, but obviously not. Very dissapointing. Well I'm going back to using my non-window, non-ambicut 15 rounders! Thanks LenS and drgrant.

conclusion

Wow! What a mess. After reading 34 pages of much wondering off-topic and many other links I think it is worthwhile to make a summary. The following pertains to Glock magazines holding more than 10 rounds:

1) Rounded lip NFML, pre-ban MA legal.
2) Non-raised caliber markings, pre-ban MA legal.
3) Raised caliber markings with nothing else, may or may not be pre-ban as there is documented evidence that they were produced both pre- and post-ban. There is just no way to tell. Most people would therefore conclude that it is OK to possess these in MA.
4) LE/govt only, post-ban MA illegal.
5) Gen 4 double notched for dual release, post-ban MA illegal.

Last edited:
zombiechase.gif

I look at it this way I have 10 round magazine for my glock 19 you should always carry a spare mag. So that makes it 20 rounds.That way I do not have to worry if they are post-ban, pre-ban or ray-ban.

Last edited:
I look at it this way I have 10 round magazine for my glock 19 you should always carry a spare mag. So that makes it 20 rounds.That way I do not have to worry if they are post-ban, pre-ban or ray-ban.

Carrying a G19 with a cripple in it is kinda pointless, but that's just me. If I was that worried about the mag BS, I would just carry a single stack (whatever) and be done with it.

-Mike

Wow! What a mess. After reading 34 pages of much wondering off-topic and many other links I think it is worthwhile to make a summary. The following pertains to Glock magazines holding more than 10 rounds:

3) Raised caliber markings with nothing else, may or may not be pre-ban as there is documented evidence that they were produced both pre- and post-ban. There is just no way to tell. Most people would therefore conclude that it is OK to possess these in MA.

That about sums it up- except on thing to add...

Don't forget that mags that have the ambi cut out in the front - NOT the gen 4 ambi - are also post ban.

The original G21sf used to have an ambi magazine. It was a different type of catch that was built into the front of the mag as a plastic cut out. It has been discontinued.

Mags for other calibers were made with this G21sf type ambi cut out even though no guns besides the first G21sf had that type of ambi mag release.

How about some clarification on Point #4, "LE/govt only" labeled mags, does that apply to such labeled mags that hold 10 or less rounds? I have seen 9 rounders that says LE/GOVT ONLY in stores. Legal or Illegal?

How about some clarification on Point #4, "LE/govt only" labeled mags, does that apply to such labeled mags that hold 10 or less rounds? I have seen 9 rounders that says LE/GOVT ONLY in stores. Legal or Illegal?

Those were probably G27 mags that had +2 basepads on them or something.

Although it won't mean anything (because the mag holds 10 rounds, or less, as configured) frankly I would never want an "LE only" marked anything in MA.

-Mike

My take on it is simple:

My mags don't explicitly state LEO only, therefore I use em. There aren't any dates, or any sufficient evidence that would indicate a magazines date of manufacture. Also, GLOCK themselves have been quoted stated "there is no real way to tell". Carry on! My license allows for the carrying of hi-capacity magazines. So long as there is no proof that the magazines I am carrying are illegal (post 94), it's safe to assume they are legal unless proven otherwise.

What if your Glock was made "98" and you have a class A Hicap permit? Is it still ok to have these 15rd mags?

What if your Glock was made "98" and you have a class A Hicap permit? Is it still ok to have these 15rd mags?

When the fun was made has no bearing on how the AWB affects high cap mags. You could have a brand new glock and so long as your high cap mags were made before the AWB, you would be fine. You could have the oldest glock ever, and so long as the high cap mags were made before the AWB, you are fine. The guns manufacturing date has no bearing whether you can have the mags or not.

Meh,

This entire thread completely confused me.

I have a pre ban Glock 19. I have seen the 15 round clips at Cabelas in CT and my brother who lives in VT knows a gun shop that has them. I was about to purchase 3 more clips but now am left thinking they will be illegal.

Meh,

I have a pre ban Glock 19. I have seen the 15 round clips at Cabelas in CT and my brother who lives in VT knows a gun shop that has them. I was about to purchase 3 more clips but now am left thinking they will be illegal.

They will be illegal in MA.

The hi-cap MAGAZINE has to be manufactured prior to the magic date in 1994. It doesn't matter when the gun was made.

Meh,

Clips
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1332167807.596366.jpg
Magazines
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1332167842.499269.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

yes

ETA: That would be a good comparison pic of "when dinosaurs roamed the earth" (that mag looks like it has almost no metal liner, not even a caliber marking!) vs "really new".

-Mike

It's been a few years since I really paid a whole lot of attention to Glock stuff - even though I have a few of them. I've been searching thru GlockTalk and the web trying to find the answer to this question - other than the "U" notched mags - is there any easy way to figure out what would be a pre-ban mag for a Glock 22?

What sayeth thee? Is this a pre-ban - or post ban mag?

glock22-mag-pic.jpg

From what I remember seeing in my internet travels - the ambi cut would be on the right side (looking at the mag from the front) - not the left side cut like this mag?

glock22-fronta.jpg

glock22_magfrontb.jpg

Back
Top Bottom