MA Firearms Registration and Transfer System and State police ?

My best friend died last year. I helped his wife on the computer with the inheritance to the friends that the firearms were given to.
Last night she got pulled over for an expired registration. Somehow when she transferred insurance and Reg. to take possession of his car, something got screwed up, "separate issue".
The cop told her after running plates that the car was registered to my friend. He also told her that the guns that were still in his possession, and she must collect all records, and prove they are not in the house.
How long does it take for transfers to sync up with police?
Thanks, Mike

My best friend died last year. I helped his wife on the computer with the inheritance to the friends that the firearms were given to.
Last night she got pulled over for an expired registration. Somehow when she transferred insurance and Reg. to take possession of his car, something got screwed up, "separate issue".
The cop told her after running plates that the car was registered to my friend. He also told her that the guns that were still in his possession, and she must collect all records, and prove they are not in the house.
How long does it take for transfers to sync up with police?
Thanks, Mike

The burden of proof is on the state to prove she committed a crime. She needs to prove nothing.

The police officer is, of course, mistaken. Does the officer plan to make it a point to follow up on this? If not, your friend's wife shouldn't worry about it. If he DOES plan to follow up... oh wait, there's nothing to follow up on, problem solved.

The state's ability (or inability) to maintain records is not this woman's problem, I'm sure she has more important things on her mind. There normally shouldn't be much latency in these types of databases, if that's the question. Is she looking for some kind of guidance or reassurance?

Is she looking for some kind of guidance or reassurance?

Yes.
I gave her son the search for mass.gov firearms personal records. She can get all the info for the transfers and guns he owned.
Now I know if I get pulled over, they look if I have an LTC

- - - Updated - - -

Anything that was transferred to an FFL or out of state will not show up in MIRCS.

All in state and private

The police officer is, of course, mistaken. Does the officer plan to make it a point to follow up on this? If not, your friend's wife shouldn't worry about it. If he DOES plan to follow up... oh wait, there's nothing to follow up on, problem solved.

The state's ability (or inability) to maintain records is not this woman's problem, I'm sure she has more important things on her mind. There normally shouldn't be much latency in these types of databases, if that's the question. Is she looking for some kind of guidance or reassurance?

If an officer queries the database, he'll get a list of ALL guns ever owned and in the system. They need to request FRB to issue a "Certified List" to get only those in the database where there is no newer owner listed . . . and that is not done instantly at the side of the road.

Also there is no hard time limit on an executrix disposing of the deceased's property per the wishes laid by the decedent. If this BS turns real, have her contact Atty Jason Guida and he'll end it for her.

Last edited:
If an officer queries the database, he'll get a list of ALL guns ever owned and in the system. They need to request FRB to issue a "Certified List" to get only those in the database where there is no newer owner listed . . . and that is not done instantly at the side of the road.

Also there is no hard time limit on an executrix disposing of the deceased's property per the wishes laid by the decedent. If this BS turns real, have her contact Atty Jason Guida and he'll end it for her.

Thanks LenS and the others.
Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They need to request FRB to issue a "Certified List" to get only those in the database where there is no newer owner listed . . .

Assuming the guns weren't sold to an out of state buyer, in which case there will be NO newer owner listed. Personally I would rather have a defective registration system than one that is accurate. Why make the .gov's job easier for them?

Consider your Mass list like a tattoo of every gun you ever owned, once it's on there it's going to be a long, hard and expensive process to have it removed. May as well wear it proudly.

Assuming the guns weren't sold to an out of state buyer, in which case there will be NO newer owner listed. Personally I would rather have a defective registration system than one that is accurate. Why make the .gov's job easier for them?

You are correct and why I worded it the way that I did. If a MA dealer sells to out of state dealer, you are listed as the last owner for life.

And I have been told that ONLY the Feds have legal access to a dealer's Bound Book, not the locals and state police!

On a different topic, but related . . . I move into the state (MA) as a gun owner, get my LTC-A, what must I do about the guns I owned before moving to the state? Do I need to register them? Is the burden upon the Local LEOs to look up the 4473s I filled out in California, when I purchased the guns (if anything should arise)?

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it a moot point what the registry says or doesn't with the OP? Isn't the only "crime" that the woman in question could be committing would be possession of a firearm without a valid LTC or FID? You can't possess something that isn't in your possession.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it a moot point what the registry says or doesn't with the OP? Isn't the only "crime" that the woman in question could be committing would be possession of a firearm without a valid LTC or FID? You can't possess something that isn't in your possession.

No crime at all if she's the executrix holding them to dispose of within the wishes of the deceased in his will or other documents left behind (regardless of time-lapse!). No cop would have easy access to that info either (requires a personal visit to the Probate Court's Clerk's office to verify-maybe).

Back
Top Bottom