MA Address Change question

KMM696

NES Member
At the end of January, my mailing address will be changing from a PO Box in another town, to my current street address. The way I read it, the law seems to require me to send this change to all the concerned parties, registered mail, etc.? Is this correct? The street address already on the license will not change, just my mailing address.

thanks

Kevin

"Chapter 140, Sections 129B(11) and 131(l) of Massachusetts state law requires holders of a Firearms Identification Card (FID) and a License to Carry Firearms (pistol permit) to notify certain authorities of any change of address. You must notify - by certified mail, in writing and within 30 days - the authority who issued the card and/or license, the chief in your new town of residence and the Executive Director of the Criminal History Systems Board. Failure to notify of any change of address is cause for revocation of the Card or License."

From a form available here: http://www.goal.org/misc/faq/addresschange.pdf

I dunno. It's your mailing address, but your place of residence is not changing?

I would have said that you don't need to notify unless you had given them that PO box as your mailing address. You're not moving, your mail is.

I'd ask Keith or Darius on this. The law says that you have to notify your old town and your new town, if you're still living in the same town and aren't physically moving yourself then what is there to notify? [thinking] Though yes it says "any change of address." MGL is stooopid.

Hmmm...okay, I've downloaded the forms and printed them out. However, I am somewhat skeptical of this as I would not put it past the Boston PD to immediately revoke my LTC as soon as they get my letter. They hate gun owners and seem to do whatever they can to screw us over.

I guess I'll find out...
It's entirely possible that the BPD could tag your LTC as "revoked". Would you rather have a "revoked" tag that you could explain was done because you complied with the law or one that was done because you didn't.

Jim, if you're found in MA with your "current" LTC and a gun of any sort, you're busted. So if you can't carry in MA with it, why do you care? You have to tell MA where you are when you apply for your NR LTC anyway!

Which, I might point out, will be for ALL LAWFUL PURPOSES... unlike your current neutered LTC.

You're not being rational here.

Rational? No, I think you misunderstand me. I know I have to get an out of state LTC but he's saying that if I don't notify the Boston PD that I moved then they might revoke my license anyway. And then that would be on my record.

I'm just saying that I wouldn't put it past them to revoke it despite being notified. That'd be typical for them.
Right, if they revoke it for moving so be it. Don't ruin your chances of ever getting another LTC in this state by letting them revoke it statutorily.

A buddy of mine has reminded me that, in theory, the CHSB is supposed to send out renewal notices, so I guess I'll have to update my address with them. I sure hope the CHSB is getting a cut from the Post Office on all these extra registered letters!

Kevin

I was always under the impression that even though you physically may possess a Mass resident LTC, it became invalid the moment you established permanent residency out of state.

Paul

If your mailing address changed from what you GAVE your PD when you got your LTC, then you must notify all parties per MGL. [This would even be true if the town renumbered your street so that your house number changed even though you never moved.] This is so that they can notify wrt renewals . . . it won't be forwarded by the USPO to a changed address after a year.

Jim, check your Email, I sent you an Email the other day about notification. I don't have any great recommendation as this is currently a subject of much discussion between the various PDs and state authorities on how to handle people who move out of state. You can expect (with a 99% certainty) that Boston PD will "REVOKE" upon notification and you WILL have to disclose this and explain it away on almost every application you file in any state for the rest of your life. It may well hurt your chances of getting a CCW or LTC in an "unfriendly jurisdiction" even though you did nothing wrong by notifying.

I've made a private recommendation to the "powers that be" that they consider making an EOPS/CHSB "policy" to use the term "Void" for LTCs that become invalid only due to a move out of state. No telling what the final outcome will be however.

The belief is that Paul is correct. The Resident LTC becomes totally invalid the day you establish residency in another state.

KMM - what town issued you your license? Where you live? Or where you had your mailing address?

If your HOME address is on your license, then you're fine. That's the address you gave them when you applied for it. If they have your "mailing address" listed for you and it's on your license, then you have to notify the state, as well as sending 2 forms to the chief of your town (he's the issuing autority) as well as the "new" chief (even tho it's the same - it's called CYA). Send them all certified mail - return receipt requested (your only proof that you sent it in).

KMM - what town issued you your license? Where you live? Or where you had your mailing address?

The town I live in issued my licence, my mailing address was in another town. Now, both physical and mailing will be the same, hopefully reducing the confusion of businesses shipping to me. So, the address on the license is still correct, I just need to update my mailing address with anyone who has that. I know the chief has my new mailing address, because it was on the last timesheet I turned in to him - he signs one of my paychecks. I'm going to send the MGL listed parties the address change, anyway. The cost benefit of not sending 2 certified letters doesn't outweigh the risk of never getting an LTC in the Peoples Republic again. [angry]

Thanks, and Happy New Year!

So, what's the verdict then, for folks who move out-of state, regarding address change notification?

The "Change of Address Notification" form from the MA Firearms Record Bureau is clearly intended for in-state moves.

On the "My new address is:" line I've written...

"I HAVE MOVED OUT-OF-STATE. PLEASE VOID MY MA LTC-A #[number]. THANK YOU."

If they want my new NH address, they can Google it them damn selves.

Screw them.

And, using BPD math, I'll assume I have 80 days to notify them of my address change.

Only seems fair, seeing how they took 106 days to issue my LTC, in violation of the state law that says they had to do so in 40 days.

Or maybe, I should just drive down to BPD headquarters and ask to see Sgt. Mosher so I can shove my now-defunct LTC up his ass...sideways.

Over the weekend I have given this some considerable thought, initially wrt the dilemma that Jim is in.

Don't have much in the "pearls of wisdom" category, but upon much thought here's what I would do and the sequence with which I would do it:

- Get and file an application for a NR LTC IMMEDIATELY (assuming you ever want to travel back in MA while carrying, IIRC Jim still has Family here). Provide current LTC number, etc. so they don't end up pushing you for a new training certificate etc. (as a "new applicant"). Although I've never seen the NR form, if possible I'd state (Resident LTC being VOIDED as just moved out of MA) or something to that effect beside the MA LTC #. [This really needs to be processed BEFORE any town REVOKES your LTC based on your move.]

- Then a few days prior to 30 days from the date you obtained your NH "Resident" credentials (usually NH DL), I would send notification to Boston PD, CHSB and probably <town in NH> PD, Return Receipt Requested as required by MGL requesting that they VOID (use that term) your MA Resident LTC. You will need to put a return address on it to comply with the law and get the Green Card back (Receipt). I would NOT send them your old MA LTC at all, but I would scan it into my computer to keep on record in case ever needed to prove you had one.

KEEP COPIES OF ALL DOCUMENTATION. You will later need it to prove that you didn't do anything wrong (see next paragraph).

Be aware that within 99% CERTAINTY, BOSTON PD will notify CHSB to REVOKE your LTC. If you are so notified, you MUST then disclose it on every subsequent application for CCW in almost every state and then "explain it away". The above documentation, along with copies of the Return Receipts MAY help you do this without serious repercussions.

Two things to understand here:

- Some chiefs/licensing authorities will look upon ANY REVOCATION as a "black mark" and if issuance is discretionary, you may be denied or downgraded at some point in the future (be it MA, RI or some other state). Explaining the facts MAY help you or may not.

- Many MA cities/towns will treat this as a REVOCATION, even if properly notified. See above.

We can hope that "the powers that be" set a sane policy for such moves, but you can also count on places like Boston (who despise legal gun owners) to "march to the tune of a different drummer" and still try to screw the lawful person who notifies them.

Good luck!

Disclaimer: IANAL and this isn't legal advice! Just my thoughts on what I would do in this same situation, knowing some of what is also going on behind the scenes and with a healthy distrust for some of the bureacrats involved.

Well, of course they'd revoke your LTC when you move to NH. Anyone who would voluntarily abandon this blissful workers' paradise for such a benighted and uncivilized place is obviously unsuitable, if not certifiably insane. [rolleyes]

Ken

Back
Top Bottom