• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M855...watch what you may be buying and the new M8551A

With the proposed "ban" on the M885 ammo, people are out buying and selling their m885. Whether they are worth the high price for them is up to you but beware what you are buying.

Also beware that the M855 is being replaced by a new round..the M8551A (and NO it will not be coming up for sale!)

I copied this from a post on the AR15.com web site and a few other sites which explains a lot about the ammo now being sold.

As the saying goes, let the buyer beware!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Lake City Army Ammunition Plant is the only remaining small-arms ammo factory owned by the government, and is the source of most ammo used by the US military. [Due to the drastic increase in ammo usage with the WoT, Winchester/Olin, the only other company with the loading machines to make mil-spec ammo, has been given a contract for a few million rounds of ammo.]

Lake City, while owned by the government, has always been run by civilian contractors. From 1986-1999, it was operated by Olin (Winchester). The Winchester "white box" "Q-load" ammo (such as Q3131) was Lake City-manufactured ammo stamped with Winchester (WCC) headstamps.

Starting in 2000, the contract to operate Lake City was given to Alliant Techsystems (ATK), who had just bought all the gun-related companies that were formerly owned by Blount. This "shooting sports group" included: Federal, Speer, CCI, RCBS, Weaver, Outers, Ramline, and perhaps one or two others. ATK chose Federal to run Lake City, and thus, the "Federal XMxxx" loads were born.

The US military has extremely tough and strict requirements for ammo, and many layers of Quality Control (QC) checks to ensure that contract ammo is up to spec. Obviously, as with any mass-produced item, some of the product is going to fail QC.

LC-produced ammo that passes all the QC checks is packaged up and sent out to fulfill military contracts. I call this "Grade 1" ammo, which means "the best." Note that ammo that is delivered to the military can no longer be surplussed as whole ammo, due to an Executive Order by Clinton in 1997, so as a rule, this ammo will never be available on the commercial market.

Ammo that fails QC in a minor way, such as not being completely moisture-sealed, but is otherwise good ammo is "Grade 2". That's what "XM193" is that Federal sells in 20-round boxes: Grade 2 ammo. The same with XM855.

Ammo that has more serious problems, such as severe dents, bent rounds, split necks, and so on, is "Grade 3" (or worse). Federal is selling this as XM193PD and XM855PD, and packs it loose in 500 round boxes. (For those who haven't been around long, loose-packed ammo is almost always Grade 3 or lower quality, no matter who you buy it from. If it was higher quality, it would have been boxed up and sold at full price!)

It is important to understand that batches of Grade 2 ammo may be made up of a mix of Grade 1 and Grade 2, and that Grade 3 ammo may have both Grade 1 and Grade 2 ammo mixed in. The grade is given based on the worst ammo in the lot.

XM193PD (Grade 3) is sold at a discount compared to the boxed XM193 (Grade 2), and real M193 is not available to the public (unless it was surpluses before 1997). Discounted prices on ammo generally mean the ammo is lower quality, especially when the same ammo is sold for two or more different prices, so this really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Also note that the PD loads are clearly marked "For Practice Use Only", another indication that this is DEFINITELY NOT Grade 1 (or even Grade 2) ammo."

There is a new version in military use the M855A1, so maybe there is a sell off of the old spec:

"Cartridge, Caliber 5.56 mm, Ball, M855 (United States): 5.56x45mm 62-grain FN SS109 ball cartridge, green tip w/steel penetrator and a lead core.

Cartridge, Caliber 5.56 mm, Ball, M855 Lead Free (United States):62-grain green tip w/tungsten penetrator and a steel core. Primarily used during training in countries with strict lead disposal laws.

Cartridge, Caliber 5.56 mm, Ball, M855A1 (United States):62-grain green tip w/19-grain steel penetrator tip and a solid copper core.

clear.gif

.........Also be aware that the M885 is being phased out and being replaced by a new round.....The M855A1 Enhanced Performance Round is the newest member of the Army's small-caliber family of munitions fired from the 5.56 mm family of weapons. It is replacing the M855 cartridge.

The M855A1 EPR's new bullet design provides Soldiers with better hard-target penetration and more consistent soft-target performance at increased distances. Additionally, because it is lead-free, the M855A1 allows training exercises to occur on ranges where lead projectiles are no longer permitted.

June 2010, the United States Army announced it began shipping its new 5.56mm cartridge, the M855A1 Enhanced Performance Round, to active combat zones. During testing, the M855A1 performed better than current 7.62x51mm NATO ball ammunition against certain types of targets (particularly hardened steel), blurring the performance differences that previously separated the two cartridges

The US Army Picatinny Arsenal stated that the new M855A1 offers improved hard target capability, more consistent performance at all distances, enhanced dependability, improved accuracy, reduced muzzle flash, and higher velocity compared to the M855
round.

Further the Army stated the new M855A1 ammunition is tailored for use in M4 carbines but should also give enhanced performance in M16 rifles and M249 light machine guns. The new 62-grain (4 g) projectile or bullet used in the M855A1 round has a copper core with a 19-grain (1.2 g) steel “stacked-cone” penetrating tip. The M855A1 cartridge is sometimes referred to as "green ammo" because it fires a lead free projectile.

The M855A1, a 5.56 mm Ball ammunition, is an enhanced performance round for today’s combat and training environments. It works with the M4 Carbine, the M249 machine gun, and the H&K and M16A2 rifles. It is suitable for use in most weapons with a 1-in-7 barrel twist.
The M855A1 has a copper-jacketed copper core, differing from the previous M855 round which has a lead core. The so-called “green ammo” not only has increased penetration of armor and hard targets, but allows the Army to be more environmentally friendly on its ranges and training environments.

The M855A1 is optimized for the shorter-barrel M4 where the standard M855 was optimized for the M16. The powder burns faster and creates more pressure, and has the effect of reducing flash. The round yaws like the M855, but its yaw is more consistent and predictable, meaning its terminal effects are not yaw dependent.

The Army plans to replace its entire inventory of M855 rounds with the M855A1 round.

For those who really want to get into the M855/ M855A1 bullet info..... read away!

http://www.military.com/equipment/m855a1-enhanced-performance-round

more info for you all...

http://usarmorment.com/pdf/M855A1.pdf

Last edited:
I went to Kentucky to Mazak for,training and a guy who was in my class worked for Lake City. He told me this same thing. The stuff that fails QC is what is sold to us.

So in other words, it sounds like M855 will no longer be produced for the military (and by default for civilians), meaning that
even if there was no proposed M855 ban, once existing stock was depleted, there would be no more M855 commercially
available anyways?

My buddy ended up with a box of Grade 3 ammo last year. He didn't realize it at the time but got a good deal on it. then he found out why. I would say half of the ammo would either not feed or was deformed. A few were unsafe to shoot due to bullet setback, cracked cases and such. A few flipped primers as well.

So then this newly proposed ban seems more in line to keep us consumers from getting our hands on the new advanced M855A1 more then anything else. If so, I wonder what they will do with the Grade 2 and 3 ammo if it can't be sold.

So then this newly proposed ban seems more in line to keep us consumers from getting our hands on the new advanced M855A1 more then anything else. If so, I wonder what they will do with the Grade 2 and 3 ammo if it can't be sold.

Knowing our wasteful government. If the ban does happen, they'll likely destroy it. Just to spite us.

At this rate... it'll all be bought up and sold long before any final decision is made.

Ban or no ban, once it's announced that full production of M855 will cease (and M855A1 will not be available to civilians),
there would have been a buying panic anyways.

Knowing our wasteful government. If the ban does happen, they'll likely destroy it. Just to spite us.

Destroy it?! I'm sure there are plenty of shit holes around the world we still need to arm. Or at least replenish their ammo supply for the guns we've already given 'em.

Yeah this seems similar to another post I found a while back on AR15.com, also from a guy who claims to work at the plant, but seems like he suggests the XM-193 is all 'first run', i.e. not a 'reject' round. Depends how you interpret his words I guess.

"So much speculation and so many WRONG answers.

OK here is the deal, I work at Lake City and the SCOOP on the XM-193 is thus

There iss a line setup in Building 1 to produce XM-193 product for the Commercial Market.
This is the same line that also produced AE-223

So that all aside it is FIRST RUN, FIRST QUALITY ammunition produced at Lake City Army Ammunition Plant.
Commercially boxed on premises. There are other XM products as well.XM33, XM-556 and XM80 but those don't get produced as often.
Some are lots that failed for some reason or another others are first run, the XM-193 is First Run ammunition.

There is your plain and simple answer.
Cases are drawn from the EXACT same cups used for .MIL ammo
Bullet Jackets and Lead Slugs are made on the EXACT machines from the EXACT materials as .MIL ammo
Primers, Powder etc are the same materials as .MIL

Tested to the same standards as the .MIL production."

Source: http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1122634

I guess at the end of the day, who really cares if it's reject or first run. It's cheap and reliable and that's all I really care about.

Last edited:
I wouldn't demonize the XM855PD or XM193PD rounds. There are many people out there who all use the PD variants without any issues at all. You can find review threads on AR15 for both rounds where less than 1% of the posters experienced issues with either each.

So in other words, it sounds like M855 will no longer be produced for the military (and by default for civilians), meaning that
even if there was no proposed M855 ban, once existing stock was depleted, there would be no more M855 commercially
available anyways?

My guess is that's is a correct statement.

The "good stuff" shipped to the military and currently in supply will be shot off or given to other friendly allies over time. With LC production now going full one with the new M855A1 there will be no surplus.

The way the current exemption reads its for the M855 ....not the M855A1 so this bullet is not 'exempt" according to the current policy.

The powers that be would have to revise the current policy/regulation to add the M855A1 so it could be sold to the public and I don't see that happening!

Also I don't know if you would want to shoot the new m855A1 even if you could get it....

The the reason this new round shoots flatter is because they’ve juiced the round up so that it will fly at 3,100 fps. This would be a great achievement except for the fact that they did it by increasing the chamber pressure from 55,000 psi to 63,000 psi. That’s a number closely approaching proof-load pressures of the rifle/barrel." Not sure if this is worth the wear and tear on you rifle for questionable results..

Last edited:
I wouldn't demonize the XM855PD or XM193PD rounds. There are many people out there who all use the PD variants without any issues at all. You can find review threads on AR15 for both rounds where less than 1% of the posters experienced issues with either each.

I'm not demonizing the round.....just trying to educate people about them.

When bans happen, all sorts of stuff come out for sale...good and not so good.

Some selling people BS uninformed people and the profit on the buyers lack of awareness.

The M855 is going away.... ban or no ban.

The M855A1 is now the present production round for the military...so the M855 "seconds" are no longer being made,

Lake City may have a lot of "seconds" stored up and if the ban is overturned they may sell it off ....but no new production so no more "new" seconds.

Either way the M855 is going out of the cheap and affordable category.....

Won't see me buying up any M855. I hope the ban gets stopped for other reasons, but put no stock in M855 performance. XM193 penetrates armor better, if that is desired (velocity is king here). XM193 also does more damage on soft targets and is less likely to pass through. My defensive mags get loaded with as much MK262 Mod 1 as I can afford, and the rest is XM193. For range use, M855 costs too much so I get bulk .223.

people BUY 5.56 ammo? eff that... i can make it cheaper......

also, see my classified ad soon to come with a few thousand m855 rounds....... just need to buy some green paint......

people BUY 5.56 ammo? eff that... i can make it cheaper......

also, see my classified ad soon to come with a few thousand m855 rounds....... just need to buy some green paint......

Lol.

Always wondered what people are making 5.56 for (cost per round). I'm buying 55gr .223 at $0.33/round. How cheap get you get with reloading?

With the switch to the new m885a1 ammo by the military, This new ban will dry up a huge supply of cheap surplus. The guy that patented the the bullet used in the 885 won a 15 mill $$ judgement and a 1.5 cent per round royalty for ammo bought by .gov. Intersting note that round can be loaded with a tracking agent as well as a anticoagilant .

What/where the heck are you buying those for that much?

Shooters Outpost. It's Federal 55gr .223. I'm pretty sure it was $169 for 500 rounds and then the rate was a little lower for the 1000 round cases.

Also just ordered 500 rounds of Independence XM193 from Midway for $169, which is sub $0.34/rnd and that's full power 5.56, rather than .223.

By "that much" do you mean that much or that little? The above are cheap prices for factory ammo. I don't even look at what Walmart has for .223/5.56 given their range-grade ammo is $0.40-0.60.

Last edited:
The military doesn't use M193 anymore right, but the civilian stuff is still made, so why do we think XM855 will go away just cause the military stops using it?

if they are changing the round to 855A1, then that is not banned by name, and can be sold to civilians...!!!! [thinking]

Nope, from the description of the bullet in the OP, it's automatically banned for civilian sales...

The term “armor piercing ammunition” means

(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and
which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other
substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron,
brass, bronze, beryllium copper or depleted uranium; or...

Yeah this seems similar to another post I found a while back on AR15.com, also from a guy who claims to work at the plant, but seems like he suggests the XM-193 is all 'first run', i.e. not a 'reject' round. Depends how you interpret his words I guess.

If the factory doesn't produce enough failed ammo to supply civilian XM193 demand, they would have to use stuff that passes QC, or else just skip the military QC testing and use a lower grade of testing.

The military doesn't use M193 anymore right, but the civilian stuff is still made, so why do we think XM855 will go away just cause the military stops using it?

There reason XM855 was so cheap was that Lake City was making millions of rounds a month and the excess/ seconds were sold to the civilian market for cheap money. The bullet is expensive to make but because of the volume of rounds required/made cost was down and production up. With the new round ...855A1 ... manufactures are switching to making it and there is not enough demand/profit to support continued manufacture of this old type bullet.
I am sure that there are still xm855 bullets around but never saw them sold for reloading and doubt that they will be sold unless it is from recycled ammo ( which I am not sure the gov will not allow).

Shooters Outpost. It's Federal 55gr .223. I'm pretty sure it was $169 for 500 rounds and then the rate was a little lower for the 1000 round cases.

Also just ordered 500 rounds of Independence XM193 from Midway for $169, which is sub $0.34/rnd and that's full power 5.56, rather than .223.

By "that much" do you mean that much or that little? The above are cheap prices for factory ammo. I don't even look at what Walmart has for .223/5.56 given their range-grade ammo is $0.40-0.60.
Sorry brainfart. Read it wring thinking you meant you bought the projectile to reload at 33 cents a pop

Sorry brainfart. Read it wring thinking you meant you bought the projectile to reload at 33 cents a pop

223 / 5.56 Projectiles (Surplus NEW and *PULLED*)

new River Valley Ordnance Works website

RVO's new 5.56 projectiles are *pulled surplus! These bullets have slight pull marks. They come to you polished and ready to load.

M855 FMJBT 62 gr. w/steel core (*new surplus pictured,)
TEMPORARY OUT OF STOCK
$110 per 500
$200 per 1,000
TEMPORARY OUT OF STOCK
62grss109-350.jpg

Last edited:
Lol.

Always wondered what people are making 5.56 for (cost per round). I'm buying 55gr .223 at $0.33/round. How cheap get you get with reloading?

Depends when you bought bullets powder and primers.....
My current prices put 55gn fmj loaded to 3000fps for 18 cents per round....12 cents pre 2012 prices.
The point of reloading though is to load better ammo for less. I don't load to duplicate XM193 for hits,on target its ok ..... my hornady 55 fmj loads through my match rifle get close to to one inch groups.
My match loads can shoot sub 1" loads for 33 cents each.... now if I can shoot sub 1" groups with out using the rifle rest!

Xm193 seemed to be the better round, so the loss due to a ban is just a slap in the face from the government with no no reason for them to due so,

Also I'm sure the government will only sell the new 855a1 to respectible fighting factions and cartels, and has good reason took keep it away from us bad hard working law abiding american folks (sarcasm)

Last edited:
I stopped reading at 885.

But seriously, who didn't know that XM855 was 'blems' and that bulk was even more blemmed? Maybe I just did my research back when I always wondered what's with the "X" before the model designation. That's when the doors opened and I learned about the different grades.

But also - usually it's marked "NOT FOR DUTY USE", rather than for "For Practice Use Only"

Back
Top Bottom