• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M855...watch what you may be buying and the new M8551A

You guys see that En Guarde banner at the top of the page? Click on it.

We ran tests on ceramic armor with a variety of ammo including M193 and M855. Neither will penetrate it. There's video of the testing.

I found this warning on a site selling body armor re/ Level III 1/4" steel plate:

"Level IIIStand-Alone
NOT rated to stop the .223 (5.56mm) FMJ round (M-193) that is higher velocity than the Green Tip / SS-109 / M-855 round."

The same page has this:

"
Ultra-light PolyethyleneLevel III

Stops common assault rifle ammunition
- but NOT AP rounds
NOT rated to stop the semi-armor-piercing .223 (5.56mm) round (SS-109 / M-855) with the steel pin core, or .30 caliber AP rounds
"

I am guessing that somewhere out there literature exists referring to M855 as a "semi armor piercing round" and some intern freaked and showed his ATF boss...

Last edited:
Also, from this site:

"
Ammunition type: 5.56 NATO Ball M193 penetrates steel far better than 7.62 NATO Ball (M-80) or the SS109.
SS109 5.56 NATO "Green Tip" easily penetrates thin plastic PE such as level NIJ III Spectra or Dyneema.
"

I figured that the companies selling the armor might know a thing or two about what penetrates what.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom