• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M855...watch what you may be buying and the new M8551A

what are people shooting instead of 855 when they desire a 62g or heavier round? is there anything else in ready supply? if you have a 1in7 barrel what are your available options moving forward?

223 / 5.56 Projectiles (Surplus NEW and *PULLED*)

new River Valley Ordnance Works website

RVO's new 5.56 projectiles are *pulled surplus! These bullets have slight pull marks. They come to you polished and ready to load.

M855 FMJBT 62 gr. w/steel core (*new surplus pictured,)
TEMPORARY OUT OF STOCK
$110 per 500
$200 per 1,000
TEMPORARY OUT OF STOCK
62grss109-350.jpg

Well that's no bargain..... Fyi Canadian C77 designation ammo is 855 equivalent, I just got some pills for $120 per 1k brand new flare rate shipped

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

what are people shooting instead of 855 when they desire a 62g or heavier round? is there anything else in ready supply? if you have a 1in7 barrel what are your available options moving forward?

Make your own......I've been building a supply of Sierra 69gr MKs for a while now, I had a feeling that sooner or later this train ride was gonna end.

I would buy components now if you can, they'll be the next thing to dissapear if they haven't already.

Last edited:

55 grain bullets will shoot fine out of a 1/7 at least to 200 or 300 yards.

If you want something better than either 855 or 193, and you have a 1/7 barrel, get or recreate some of that new mk262 stuff. It's basically a 77 grain Sierra match king loaded very hot. That stuff will shoot nice groups out to at least 600 yards, probably further. It won't go through steel plates though.

I am reloading it for about 18 cents a round, so $3.80 per box of 20. Not fantastic, but almost 50% less than what it costs at Rileys/Shooters. If you didn't have to trim so much of the LC cases, it would feel a lot more worth it. I've got probably 1000 cases cleaned, so when I'm bored and stuck in the house this winter I've been processing them in batches of 100 while I watch Netflix.

I happened to pick up two cases in the past month or so. One of them was regular pmc 55gr bulk the other was the green tip 362 a case for the reg and 368 for the green tip 2 days after I received my case of green tip the price went up 40 bucks then the announcement came out. people are gonna buy like nuts and the price will go through the roof before they sell off the rest of the stock in the system I am sure.

I reload too but I haven't costed it out for real because all I care about is making my own bullets work perfectly for the guns I have.

I use mostly M193 at the range when I have the choice. I use Hornady steel case 75gr for practice through my 1:7 10.3" and have 75gr TAP for SD. For shits and giggles, I use PMC bronze and steel case Russian 223 as well. I have stock of M855 but I don't use it too much. Normally just to have on hand.

I happened to pick up two cases in the past month or so. One of them was regular pmc 55gr bulk the other was the green tip 362 a case for the reg and 368 for the green tip 2 days after I received my case of green tip the price went up 40 bucks then the announcement came out. people are gonna buy like nuts and the price will go through the roof before they sell off the rest of the stock in the system I am sure.

I reload too but I haven't costed it out for real because all I care about is making my own bullets work perfectly for the guns I have.

Yea the site I buy my stuff from is sold out on tons of other 5.56 not M855 as well.

There's a cool app called hand load, Ver handy
3609702d0a24f962f0ae4e41c973cfba.jpg
6e81e301e6fc3ba94e82c3cdd0e37ad0.jpg
6b10bf458008fb6176021cea2bf42a67.jpg

Won't see me buying up any M855. I hope the ban gets stopped for other reasons, but put no stock in M855 performance. XM193 penetrates armor better, if that is desired (velocity is king here). XM193 also does more damage on soft targets and is less likely to pass through. My defensive mags get loaded with as much MK262 Mod 1 as I can afford, and the rest is XM193. For range use, M855 costs too much so I get bulk .223.

From the rifleman:
Just a quick video I found about M193 and its capability of punching through armor at close range. Some quick thoughts: Projectiles all have their quirks, and just because M193 penetrates AR500 armor doesn’t mean it works well against other armor, namely ceramic. Supposedly Xm855 with its steel perpetrator will fail to penetrate the AR500, but it will penetrate HDPE based panels where as M193 cannot. Physics is a strange mistress.

I found in my research that it's tough to get the right velocity hand loading 855 bullets. You have to load most powders to the limit to get the bullet to go fast enough. Also the crimped primers limit the chance of the primer leaving the case at max load.

Lol.

Always wondered what people are making 5.56 for (cost per round). I'm buying 55gr .223 at $0.33/round. How cheap get you get with reloading?

I make 55gr FMJ for $.15-.18/round, depending on the powder I use. My costs would go down if I started buying 8lb jugs of powder instead of 1lb. But 8lb have been hard to get lately.

Depends when you bought bullets powder and primers.....
My current prices put 55gn fmj loaded to 3000fps for 18 cents per round....12 cents pre 2012 prices.
The point of reloading though is to load better ammo for less. I don't load to duplicate XM193 for hits,on target its ok ..... my hornady 55 fmj loads through my match rifle get close to to one inch groups.
My match loads can shoot sub 1" loads for 33 cents each.... now if I can shoot sub 1" groups with out using the rifle rest!

Makes sense. I'm paying $1+ each for MK262 Mod 1. It shoots barely bigger than 0.5MOA, but it's definitely not cheap. $0.18/rnd for range loads is pretty good too. At 50% the price of factory range ammo I could see that making sense.

From the rifleman:
Just a quick video I found about M193 and its capability of punching through armor at close range. Some quick thoughts: Projectiles all have their quirks, and just because M193 penetrates AR500 armor doesn’t mean it works well against other armor, namely ceramic. Supposedly Xm855 with its steel perpetrator will fail to penetrate the AR500, but it will penetrate HDPE based panels where as M193 cannot. Physics is a strange mistress.

That's definitely inaccurate. M855 doesn't do much of anything against ceramic based Level III armor. It'll crack the ceramic, just like any round will, but doesn't come anywhere near penetrating. No 5.56 ammo is viable against Level III armor or better (regardless of composition). XM193 has a chance of getting through if the armor is AR500 and it's shot from less than 100 yards. That's it though. Against actual armor, M855 doesn't have any advantage. Against hard barriers it does have an advantage, but all bets are off any time you shoot a hard barrier (such as a vehicle door or GI helmet).

That's definitely inaccurate. M855 doesn't do much of anything against ceramic based Level III armor. It'll crack the ceramic, just like any round will, but doesn't come anywhere near penetrating. No 5.56 ammo is viable against Level III armor or better (regardless of composition). XM193 has a chance of getting through if the armor is AR500 and it's shot from less than 100 yards. That's it though. Against actual armor, M855 doesn't have any advantage. Against hard barriers it does have an advantage, but all bets are off any time you shoot a hard barrier (such as a vehicle door or GI helmet).

I find that what you posted is the going belief on these forums. How could the gov justify it as armor piercing when it's clearly not.

I find that what you posted is the going belief on these forums. How could the gov justify it as armor piercing when it's clearly not.

..Exactly the point of this thread as I see it. It's no armor piercing ammo. It has a steel core so they're trying to call it armor piercing to help ban it. M855 is very much not supposed to be armor piecing. It's a penetrator variety of 5.56. Black tip is armor piercing and even that can't get through Level III armor.

One of the commander in chief's goals is to have a negative impact on private ownership of guns. It's just that simple. His ego drives him, not data.

I've seen that online as well, that 855 will get through HDPE but 193 won't. (I just did some googling after reading what RK717 said) Maybe they're talking about level III stuff? Are there level III ceramic plates? I haven't seen any youtube vids with ceramic testing.

Not that it couldn't just be total bullshit, but jw.

I've seen that online as well, that 855 will get through HDPE but 193 won't. (I just did some googling after reading what RK717 said) Maybe they're talking about level III stuff? Are there level III ceramic plates? I haven't seen any youtube vids with ceramic testing.

Not that it couldn't just be total bullshit, but jw.

There are Level III ceramics. There are a good few YouTube vids comparing Level III ceramics to Level III AR500 plates. Can't say I know 100% for sure that I've seen a video where M855 is shot at a ceramic Level III plate, but considering those plates will generally stop AP .308, it's not hard to say that a 5.56 round that isn't even an AP round isn't going through.

There are Level III ceramics. There are a good few YouTube vids comparing Level III ceramics to Level III AR500 plates. Can't say I know 100% for sure that I've seen a video where M855 is shot at a ceramic Level III plate, but considering those plates will generally stop AP .308, it's not hard to say that a 5.56 round that isn't even an AP round isn't going through.

Yea, I think what I meant to say was maybe they meant level IIIA ceramic, but I think IIIA is only soft armor? Plus it would be dumb to compare level IIIA anything to AR500. I dunno, jw where these people got their info.

Not to derail too much - but I thought 855 gets stopped by III armor and 193 goes through like a hot knife through butter? DONT TELL THE ATF, ZOMG

Correct regarding M855. Not sure I'd say XM193 goes through like a hot knife through butter, but at close range it does get through. I intend to order a plate from AR500 armor to test this with a gel block behind it so I can find out what kind of power the XM193 has on the other side.

Back
Top Bottom