M1A purchase.

Walnut is classy and will never lose that. If it were my money, I’d pick the walnut over the SOCOM. I do see the appeal of the SOCOM though, it’s just not my cup of tea.

Ive got a 1985 22" on SAI Recvr and GI parts, love it.
Ive also owned a scout and a socom. Socom is uncomfortably loud at the range, scout is pretty loud too, but everyone doesnt look at you like you have a dick growing out of your forehead when you rip off a mag.
I have a scout on my short list of things to get this year.

I just cant wrap my head around why anyone would pay $1600 p!us for a M1a to hunt with.? Just does not make sense.
Limited on ammo choices to a point , accuracy should be plenty good enough .....just dont see the practical in the choice.
Im not one to be practical so go for it.

both are fine rifles but if you intend to shoot with the irons the 22" loaded model will have the far superior NM sights. IIRC the SOCOM has a fat tritium front sight that is less than optimal for ranging out. the blast on the SOCOM is abnoxious but I still dig it. if you can checkout the sights on a SOCOM vs a loaded you'll know for sure what you want.
Love to find a .080" or fatter front sight for my match M1a!

I had an early production gunsite scout 308 and had issues with action sticking, nosediving rounds and unacceptable accuracy. Ruger serviced it but never seemed right to me. how Ruger could screw up a mauser action i'll never understand. Ruger has since made 18" verions of the gunsite (a better barrel length than my 16" model) and I'm told that the gunsite scout build quality is now better.

over the past year I've picked up several Ruger American rifles. between their predator and ranch lines i couldn't be more impressed. the ranch 7.62x39 is amazing. runs on mini 30 mags. quite accurate. absolute home run from Ruger.
i think the issue was trying to get the magazine design to work ? i sort of get the idea behind the use of the detach mags and the marketing of having more than X rounds vs a fixed mag or 3-5 round mags.
its all fun.

I just cant wrap my head around why anyone would pay $1600 p!us for a M1a to hunt with.? Just does not make sense.
Limited on ammo choices to a point , accuracy should be plenty good enough .....just dont see the practical in the choice.
Im not one to be practical so go for it.

They also weighs a shit ton. It seems like the worst hunting rifle in the world to me. If it ain’t flying I’m using a bolt action.

i think the issue was trying to get the magazine design to work ? i sort of get the idea behind the use of the detach mags and the marketing of having more than X rounds vs a fixed mag or 3-5 round mags.
its all fun.

Except for that the gunsite is a mauser action using AICS mags. there should not have been any issues except for that Ruger's crap QC would have been better suited for a simple push feed design over the more complex controlled feed of the Mauser. Ruger finally got things right with their American line by sticking to a simple system that even they can build correctly.

just dont see the practical in the choice.

They also weighs a shit ton. It seems like the worst hunting rifle in the world to me. If it ain’t flying I’m using a bolt action.

Way back, I hunted with an M1A super match. That rifle with iron sights could hit grapefruits at 600 yards. I was in my 30's and each year we would hunt the full NH rifle deer season. We would set a couple standers out on the end of an area and 3 of us would push straight line through the woods to that destination. Slow walking, sneak and peek and we would hold a straight line within sight of each other. With 12 pounds in your hands and stepping over brush and ducking limbs, at the end of a sun up to sundown day, you were worn out. I used that M1A for exercise and my whole body knew it at the end of day.

The only other time I would hunt with one of those was when it was issued and that was not volunteer.

Or... Winchester 94AE in .307 Win (.308 Win with a rim) or I think Marlin makes a lever gun in .308 Win. Nope, I don't get hunting with an M1A either. I do get why many preferred the M14 over the M16.

I do get why many preferred the M14 over the M16.

I don't....lol.

I've only had to carry my M16A4 (w/RCO) around for no more than 2 weeks at a time in full flak/kevlar with esapi plates, and I think another couple pounds would not actually be welcome at all. I can't wait until I pick up SSgt. so I can finally rate an M4, or better yet, an M9 for field ops.

This from a guy that recently built a 'clone' of one of (if not THE) heaviest M14 variants ever made :D

IMG_1490.jpg IMG_1491.JPG IMG_1494.jpg IMG_1492.jpg

i'm SURE glad I never have to hump it any more than 20 feet from the back of my truck to the shooting mat!

I don't....lol.

I've only had to carry my M16A4 (w/RCO) around for no more than 2 weeks at a time in full flak/kevlar with esapi plates, and I think another couple pounds would not actually be welcome at all. I can't wait until I pick up SSgt. so I can finally rate an M4, or better yet, an M9 for field ops.

This from a guy that recently built a 'clone' of one of (if not THE) heaviest M14 variants ever made :D

View attachment 265153 View attachment 265152 View attachment 265150 View attachment 265151

i'm SURE glad I never have to hump it any more than 20 feet from the back of my truck to the shooting mat!

You are carrying too much crap. Doesn't Franco say all you really need is extra water and extra ammo- not particularly in that order?

marine20sniper-1.jpg

In your defense, Gramps was a Ssgt. with the Red Arrow Brigade in WWII Philippines. He was issues a M1918A2 but said 'no thanks' to humping that up and down the jungle mountains and opted for a M1. He had biceps like baseballs but wasn't much bigger than Franco. Those BAR's weighed 20 lbs. The M1's never failed him and he came home without a scratch despite a pretty rough time over there. Based on conversations with him about his relationship with his Captain, I think he was the coolest head and best shot of the NCO's in his company, which kept him and the M1's busy.

Personally, I think the gas system of the M14 / M1A is much more robust than the M16 / AR. Even with match chambers, I can't remember my Bula ever failing to feed and go bang. The M1 only had a a problem once when I used crusty cheap enblocs. Hell, my thumb doesn't even stop the M1 from going into battery LOL. AR's can get glitchy when dirty and in extreme cold weather if you don't use the right lube (or omit lube). I know this topic has been debated ad nauseum but if I had to survive in some sandbox or the Alaskan wilderness, I'd favor the M14 platform. It's robust and reliable like an AK but you can actually hit what you aim at.

all VERY true...my observations come from a limited perspective in field training environments with effectively zero possibility of enemy contact. i'm just a wrecker mech...lol. I use my 3/4inch socket more than I use my rifle, but they both come with me wherever I go.

all VERY true...my observations come from a limited perspective in field training environments with effectively zero possibility of enemy contact. i'm just a wrecker mech...lol. I use my 3/4inch socket more than I use my rifle, but they both come with me wherever I go.

If I had to train with all the crap you have to carry, I'd probably opt for either Mac's kids' pink Rascal or maybe an AR-7. :D

THIS <---is a really good deal...if you want me to PM the guy for you just let me know. I LOVE my DMR receiver...it's how an M14 should be (IMHO). You get the standard use of the irons with a rock solid platform for mounting optics. That's what I have pictured above in the SAGE EMR chassis.

LOVE my M1A with GI stock. Bought it new with plastic, bought the wood and like the look better. 8 inch steel plate at 100yds with iron sights no problem.
Stock looks like 94.

M14%20stocks.jpg

THIS <---is a really good deal...if you want me to PM the guy for you just let me know. I LOVE my DMR receiver...it's how an M14 should be (IMHO). You get the standard use of the irons with a rock solid platform for mounting optics. That's what I have pictured above in the SAGE EMR chassis.
I cant see the post, It tells me I do not have permission. I am second guessing my decision and may get my deposit back. After some of the posts here I am not sure the rifle will fill any needs for me other than lust. $1700 is a lot for lust.

I cant see the post, It tells me I do not have permission. I am second guessing my decision and may get my deposit back. After some of the posts here I am not sure the rifle will fill any needs for me other than lust. $1700 is a lot for lust.
Since when does buying a gun have to do with needs and not wants. I could do one handgun as a NEED, all the rest are WANTS.

In case folks think a vintage wood stock can't hang with more modern metal rails or composites:

XLqYAnMh.jpg

This target was shot at 100 yards with iron sights. The vertical stringing is typical for my aging eyes and the resulting fuzzy view of the front sight. Score on the 'Dirty Bird' target was 100-7X, maybe 8X.

bula.jpeg

guy wants $1300 shipped but 'open to offers'. if you got it for $1200 you'd steal it.

Bula is another one that stands by their products. I had an issue with Bula #3 and I sent it back and they replaced it no questions asked.

edit...just saw the part of your post that you don't want to be in our 'overpriced rifle' club anymore...lol. if you change your mind, just be patient...good deals come along pretty often on these.

the one pictured above for sale on the M14 forum is a 19.25" length barrel. someone did some science stuff somewhere and found out that 19.25" is the correct length for an M14 to get every last bit of useable muzzle velocity out of a .308 round...so it's probably the best 'scout length' to consider if any.

His description:
For sale is a new unfired complete Bula rifle barreled by Bula. It is the M21 DMR receiver with a Bula 19.25 inch medium weight NM stamped barrel. The rifle is all Bula with the exception the elevation knob and the castle nut. It sits in a gi fiberglass stock that has had the selector cutout filled (it is cracking where they filled it). It has an M1 buttplate assembly. I’ve never fired this rifle. Price is $1,350 shipped and insured. Payment is postal money order or personal check(I’ll ship when it clears). Only reason I’m selling is I have to have some screws and plates installed in my foot. please ask questions

Last edited:
I have both a full size and a socom . If I want to shoot targets I take the full size . Just out plinking and not taking myself to serious I grap the socom . It's just plain fun to shoot . I've taken it hunting in Vermont a few times and as far as accuracy it's as good as.my 94. Were I hunt most shots would be 30 to 50 yards . As far as wieght goes I load with at 5 round mag , wieght isnt a issue . My wife might not care for it but so far I've not had a problem . If I had to choose 1 I guess it would be the full size and ide hunt with my 30/30 .

These things are telephone company guns...

---- Long distance, the next best thing to being there
---- Reach out and touch someone

I have nearly 40 wants already. Maybe if I sell off a few I wont feel so bad spending the money.
Same here. Some guy started a thread about a back pack for his x95. Im like "whats that?". Half hour later after a half dozen Youtube videos Im saying to myself "Jesus, please dont let me spend $1700 on a rifle that I had no idea I wanted 30 minutes ago." [laugh] Every few days or so I see something that I want. I usually let it marinate for a week or two and most of the time it goes away.

Not to derail the m1a thing but the want thing runs deep in gun people . I just bought another old style ruger bearcat . I dont even care for for Ruqers overall but the Bearcats drive me crazy. All I can say is if you want a m1a and you can afford it buy it . You will not regret

Back
Top Bottom