M1A purchase.

roccoracer

NES Member
I was bitten by the M1A bug a couple of years ago and I can wait anymore. It is time to buy one.
The M1A Scout is the rifle I am leaning toward. The M1A's are expensive and I do not want to regret my choice of going with the scout so I need some help. What do you M1A owners think about your model and your over all satisfaction?
I want to buy from a local gun store but the prices seem very high. Buds gun shop has standard M1A's for $1300 and scouts for $1560. My local stores are $1800 for a standard model and $1900 for the scout.
Thanks you the help.

I really like my M1A, and I'll probably get a scout at some point, but I went a little higher to get the match barrel (LOADED M1A™ MODEL). It comes with some discounts on accessories (scope mount, bipod, etc.) which takes a little bit of the sting out of the price, but cheap it isn't.

In the end, you can't go wrong with an M1A

I'm also looking for my first rifle to get into long range shooting. M1A has been top of the list due to the history and reliability of the platform (Remington 700 is a close second). Four Seasons has them for around 1500 with free scope mount and 2 mags, but I have been keeping my eye on the used market with a few lightly used examples popping for 1000-1200.

My 2 cents: buy an older model from the 80’s early 90’s when Springfield was using USGI M14 parts. It will be a better, more authentic rifle (like having a chrome lined barrel, bayonet lug) than new production and will go up in value over time.

The classified section on M14forum.com is really active and good deals can be found there.

For the OP, just like any gun purchase it boils down to what you want to do with it and how you want to use it. Target shooting/competition, pinking/having fun at range, elite operating?

You can't go wrong with a GI M14 clone like the standard M1A.

Love my Loaded. I had wanted to also pick up a Scout but at the time none of the dealers could give me any time line as to when they would be able to get them, so I went with an M&P 10 that rarely ever sees the light of day. [sad]

Then again I got my LTC in 2013, given the political climate I wanted to get something before the opportunity possibly vanished and rushed the decision after a few months.

as noted above, Springfield Armory is running a promotion right now for some extra mags and a mount which is an excellent value.

--
i'm a very pleased owner of an M1A scout. out of the box the action wobbled inside the wood stock so I made Springfield Armory re-fit a new stock. it took over 3 months. for a while had a QD mounted leupold FX-II 2.5x optic which was a nice fit to the rifle but honestly the M14 has such nice open sights I just removed the optic, rail and replaced the handguard with a standard one. if I really feel like running an optic I attach a Bradley cheek rest and Bassett pic rail.

my M1A scout has fired over 2k rounds of steel cased wolf 150gr FMJ without a single issue. it shoots it very well so for the $$ I've saved I love this rifle. it frequently comes to the range. Understand the M14 is an archaic design, poorly suited for optics and not particularly accurate compared to anything modern like an LR-308. As long as the limitations are acknowledged you'll be happy.

the bula defense rifles look very nice. if i were in the market for another M14 i would get one of theirs:
Products – Bula Defense Systems

you're going to want a cleaning kit like the Sadlak:
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...m1a-gas-system-cleaning-drills-prod40378.aspx

and when you get your M1A, remove the gas piston and put some anti-seize compound on the threads...otherwise the damn thing will end up seized. don't ask how i know :eek:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS_k_CkVzYE

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOdjYjOUFd8&t=50s

Last edited:
My only issue with the M1A Scout is at almost 9lbs unloaded its heavy. If you are going to mostly shoot it from a bench vs carry it all day like a scout was intended, get a classic or upgraded M1A.

Ok from a "not a fan " of the M14/1a platform .
I built one and it shoots great.
Rock Ola reciever , GI parts kit, Criterion barrel and a LRB bolt.
Great rifle and with only 10 rounds through it for rough zero before a match I shot a final score of 286/300 then a 284/9x next match. With zero time on that rifle.
Now the pros of building
You can cherry pic where and who you get the parts from , also several very good M1a builders out there.
You can build a specific end use and styles .

The cons: you build or buy from anyone but SAI you generally get a 1 year warranty SAI is lifetime. Build it yourself its not fun trying to get any sort of warranty.
Its more expensive to build for the most part.

I will say
END USE and Expectations are key to what your looking to do.

i have a build on gi parts and a SAI loaded i bought used here on NES. You can find a better deal than new if you look and grab a deal when it comes.
They both shoot well and triggers are both nice...my build trigger was worked over by local guru and its much better.
I dont see any reason why the loaded wont post as good of scored as the build.

In hind sight ....i should have bought a few more garands and a swedish mauser and ammo....yes i could have bought that and then some with what i spent on these 2 rifles.
Fun stuff.say
i will be mounting a scope on my SAI loaded just long enough to enter a postal match on another forum. 1" dot challenge.
To get idea of how crazy things can get with M1a, IIRC the top dog on that challenge has about $10k into his package.

Last edited:
My buddy bought a Socom 16 redently. I'm pretty sure he paid around $1600 at Old Glory in NH. I'm more of an AR10 guy myself. Nothing against the M1A other than I tend to get the fingers of my left hand on the operating rod.

FWIW, in terms of performance my $450 Howa 1500 absolutely SMOKES my $1500 M1A scout. the Howa is incredibly accurate with just about any ammo I feed it. buttery smooth action. lighter, more portable. the M1A is fun but I would not want to lug it around in the woods. for me a Howa 1500 or Ruger American Predator (with AICS mag) would be my choice to carry around. it's also difficult to quietly chamber or clear an M14. if you install a cheap optic on the M14 it will likely be destroyed by the harsh forward recoil impulse. you'll at least want something like an SWFA SS or better in terms of rugged build.

I'm not trying to talk you out of an M1A/M14, but I often find folk who are ultimately disappointed by their M14 because they were expecting something more functional. would poke around the M14 forum too; lots of solid info. good luck bro.

Last edited:
FWIW, in terms of performance my $450 Howa 1500 absolutely SMOKES my $1500 M1A scout. the Howa is incredibly accurate with just about any ammo I feed it. buttery smooth action. lighter, more portable. the M1A is fun but I would not want to lug it around in the woods. for me a Howa 1500 or Ruger American Predator (with AICS mag) would be my choice to carry around. it's also difficult to quietly chamber or clear an M14. if you install a cheap optic on the M14 it will likely be destroyed by the harsh forward recoil impulse. you'll at least want something like an SWFA SS or better in terms of rugged build.

I'm not trying to talk you out of an M1A/M14, but I often find folk who are ultimately disappointed by their M14 because they were expecting something more functional. would poke around the M14 forum too; lots of solid info. good luck bro.
My Ruger gunsite scout is the best hunting rifle I have ever owned. It will be hard to beat for that purpose.

My Ruger gunsite scout is the best hunting rifle I have ever owned. It will be hard to beat for that purpose.

I had an early production gunsite scout 308 and had issues with action sticking, nosediving rounds and unacceptable accuracy. Ruger serviced it but never seemed right to me. how Ruger could screw up a mauser action i'll never understand. Ruger has since made 18" verions of the gunsite (a better barrel length than my 16" model) and I'm told that the gunsite scout build quality is now better.

over the past year I've picked up several Ruger American rifles. between their predator and ranch lines i couldn't be more impressed. the ranch 7.62x39 is amazing. runs on mini 30 mags. quite accurate. absolute home run from Ruger.

I've fired a SOCOM many times and it's a nice rifle. If I were buying, I'd get a regular M1A personally, but I am a milsurp guy so I gravitate towards the classic looks.

Damn. I put a deposit on a SOCOM 16 today. I am already having second thoughts. There was a loaded M1A for the same price and I may switch to that.

both are fine rifles but if you intend to shoot with the irons the 22" loaded model will have the far superior NM sights. IIRC the SOCOM has a fat tritium front sight that is less than optimal for ranging out. the blast on the SOCOM is abnoxious but I still dig it. if you can checkout the sights on a SOCOM vs a loaded you'll know for sure what you want.

Super Match McMillan Marine Corps Green Camo... sweeeeet. But to be honest, if I was going to spend 3k on another rifle I would be hard pressed to spend it on an M1a

SA9805_1200x306.png

Back
Top Bottom