• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Garand Megathread

You guys must both be using the battle sight instead of using the ladder sight. I have NO trouble using a 6 o'clock hold with either of my 1917s using the ladder sight adjusted properly. No extra tall front sight required.
Like Mac said, the ladder gets in the way of wearing a hat. Outside of that, it works well.

My 1917 is zero'd for 200 yards using the battle site, cuz that's really the only distance I'll shoot it at (CMP Games Matches).

Got it!
It's an H&R receiver from 1953, serial #4,663,xxx. Perhaps it saw action in Korea or Vietnam.
The case is awesome, solidly built, not to mention the rifle itself! I haven't received the ammo yet.

Does anybody know what's the significance of the marking on the side of the stock?
Beautiful rifle - what's the barrel date?

That might be an HRA stock, but it's anyone's guess as to if the stock is original to the rifle.

Like Mac said, the ladder gets in the way of wearing a hat. Outside of that, it works well.

My 1917 is zero'd for 200 yards using the battle site, cuz that's really the only distance I'll shoot it at (CMP Games Matches).
I'm always wear a hat shooting it, never came close to getting in the way. Only some scopes interfere with my hat.

If calibrating your battle sight to zero at 200 yards, would that require a shorter or taller front sight?
When making corrections on the front sight its opposite direction
Move Front Sight Left your Impacts Move Right
Taller Front Sight Lowers Impact , Shorter Front sight Raises Impact
Aprox .008” change ih height or direction will be a 1” change in direction at 100 yards for alot of milsurps

rough calculations for sight correction
Correction needed X sight radius \ target Distance in inches

you shoot a target at 100 yards and its off 6” to the left
6” correction X 24” sight radius = 144”/ 3600”( 100 yards) = .04”
So you need to move your sight .04” to the left to center up your group.

Last edited:
Got it!
It's an H&R receiver from 1953, serial #4,663,xxx. Perhaps it saw action in Korea or Vietnam.
The case is awesome, solidly built, not to mention the rifle itself! I haven't received the ammo yet.

Does anybody know what's the significance of the marking on the side of the stock?
That looks really nice congrats. We need more info on the barrel and parts! I ordered in December should be soon!

Got it!

looks good. The new cases seem way nicer than the old ones.

Some criticize the M1 as being clunky and out-dated, when in fact it’s just the opposite! It’s very precisely machined, rugged, reliable, and accurate. It’s not as simple to ‘smith or accurize as the AR, but it can, and has, been done, with great results. They have, and will, continue to last for generations!
Wish I could remember where but i read somewhere that JCG designed the garand to function with out "grease"
Enough gun oil to prevent rust was all it needed. ALthough a bit of grease did not hurt.
Also he said the expected service life of the garand was 500,000 rounds replacing worn parts as needed.?

With the ammo shortage leading to more folks getting into reloading and the seeming increase in interest in the M1 I thought I’d put this here:
It’s an article recommended by the Garand Collectors Association
Heres some Garand specific load info

Last edited:
They fit other battle rifles also.
I dont mind their old plastic and foam cases , green nad tan ones.
The black ones had problems and the plastic cracked easy .
These cases are cool but limited use
The 19xx rifles come in cases with the same outer shell but just town egg crate inside.

Hmm, wonder if the case is modular? Pop out the insert and install foam?
Guess i will find out in a few months.

it looks like the same type as a cordless drill, one piece mold. The interior molded part is also probably what gives the case its ridgid structure. If you did cut that out the case would probably be very flimsy.

Just got my ship notice. Mailed Mid November...looks like a February 1945 production Springfield Armory. I'm so freaking excited...gonna be a long wait til Monday.

Back
Top Bottom