• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Garand Megathread

I will test it for you. 1.25$ a round the hot federal 30-06 was 1$ per round. But garands are picky. Bent op rods suck. If it attracts a magnet. What does that mean? Besides steel in the bullet.

Guys, when components come back, learn to reload. In the meantime, save your brass.

Knowing that cheap surplus 30-06 would dry up was what got me into reloading in 2012/3. Ironically, that was during the last drought.
While waiting for my first M1 to ship from the CMP, I ordered all my reloading components and my setup.

It's been one of the best decisions I've ever made.

I will test it for you. 1.25$ a round the hot federal 30-06 was 1$ per round. But garands are picky. Bent op rods suck. If it attracts a magnet. What does that mean? Besides steel in the bullet.
I would probably not buy it if steel jacket, in my head steel jacket screams cheap and “not as accurately” made?

When is my garand coming!
All these post about when , when
Some one finally gets one and no details, range report , zilch,nata,zip......
Come on im bored!
I agree, you shouldn't have to wait. Just drive to one of the CMP stores and pick up the one you want. So much better than waiting.

I agree, you shouldn't have to wait. Just drive to one of the CMP stores and pick up the one you want. So much better than waiting.
I dont mind the wait, gives me time to stuff more pennies in the fun money jar

So in the world of M2 ball ammo how would you rate the various manufacturers best to worse? I would assume LC at the top, no?
I started shooting CMP way to late to start chasing surplus spam cans. My M1 was built by a skilled smith using all SA parts, so its hardly a CMP mixmaster. If I do my part, I’m right behind the hand load guys. I had really good results with S&B M2. When I couldn’t find that, I got the PPU stuff. Wasn’t as consistent as the S&B, but it was likely a software issue, not the gun or ammo.

I ordered mid Dec, about 3 months ago, and I just got an email from CMP saying they received my order. The email also stated that more emails were forthcoming, so I tried not to get too excited.
I tossed a order in the mail few weeks ago, maybe a nice July4th surprise

I ordered ammo jan3 my estore history went from pending to processing on the 1/13
I orded some more ammo 2 weeks ago pending to processing was 4 days?
Im not sure if that means they are catching up or not. I have not received any emails about my orders which is generally a good thing
I also put some ammo on my mail in order for another M1 service grade

Sold my WIN13 with original barrel/op rod last week.

I’ve gone from 8 Garands down to 4. I have one from each receiver mfr, but my Springfield is my CMP ‘match’ rifle with Krieger barrel built by the fastest spaghetti slinger east of the Mississippi.

My Winchester is my backup match rifle with an as new SA barrel and all parts from 65 Anniston Armory rebuild.

My IHC is correct and from a block of receivers actually built by Springfield, and my H&R is also correct.

I’m OUT, lol...no more Garands!

4 Garands, 4 M14’s/M1A’s, but only 3 1903/A1/A3 Springfields...looks like I need a NM or a Mark 1 next 🤣

Not much interest in another M1917...I love my corrected Winchester too much to make it sit in the safe next to another/lesser mfr. Finally got it to where I only have to aim 1’ below the x ring to stay in the black...the front sight blade is so tall I had to jam it through the ears to get it in, but now it’s much more fun to shoot without having to aim for the berm to hit the paper.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom