M1 Garand info

southshoresig

NES Member
Hello, I'm looking into buying an m1 garand and wanted to know what type of stuff to look for. Not looking for a collector piece, but a nice shooter. What are the major wear/ problem areas? this is my 1st milsurp other than my nagant.
thanks

Start here http://www.odcmp.com/ and consider making your purchase from here. Chances are, you will not get one cheaper anywhere unless you're real lucky.
Generally, throat erosion and muzzle wear are what to look for.

I defintely agree with JonJ's suggestion about checking out CMP. They have the best prices on M-1s for newbies. And they are pretty honest about what you are getting; a real GI rifle, used and with a variety of manufacturer components.

You might also check out www.jouster.com. Dick Culver runs one of the best firearms boards out there and it has a ton of information on military arms to include the M-1.

Another good information site is http://www.garandm1rifle.com. Lots of good history there.

Good luck in your search and just be careful of one thing.

M-1 Garands are kinda like those famous potato chips from the commercial. You can't buy just one. They can be habit-forming.

If you're concerned about muzzle condition and the normal M1 Garand wear and tear you could always get a new production one from Springfield Armory. They're made up of surplus parts with new stuff thrown in like the barrel, and run about $900 but you're pretty much getting a brand new M1 Garand. I have one and it shoots better than any other un-scoped rifle I own plus its in pristine condition.

I also would strongly recommend getting one through the CMP. I bought one a little over a year ago and I've been very happy with it. I've also shot a new Garand that a friend bought. It's the same style and shoots the same, but for me it just didn't have, how should I put this, the same "feel" as a CMP Garand. The CMPs have a mystery about them. You wonder where your rifles been, what action it's seen, who carried it and how each little ding in the stock got there. For me, that just makes owning and shooting a CMP Garand more enjoyable then just getting a new one.

I've bought a Garand and an '03 from the CMP,. I also bought a CMP Garand from the private party who initially obtained it there.

I highly recommed the CMP as the source for your first Garand.

Besides, where else can you get a rifle shipped TO YOUR DOOR! [wink]

FTAG!

Last edited by a moderator:
I received my CMP M1 last fall. I strongly recommend buying from them. The total cost was $550 at my door. I was not looking for a collector grade rifle, so I was very happy to get a rifle with a used stock, but only factory/military markings, a re-finished receiver/bolt, and an apparently unfired Springfiled Armory barrel. I'm certain this rifle will still be shooting perfectly when I am a pile of dust.

The CMP website tells you the level of throat erosion and muzzle wear that you can expect from the various grades that are available.

And FTAG indeed!

this is my 1st milsurp other than my nagant.
thanks
Oh boy... you're in for it now. You'll be there shooting, feeling that kick in the shoulder, when "TING"! Your clip ejects! You grab another clip, shove it down and bring your hand up quick and "salute" so you don't get M1 thumb... then it's BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM "Ting"! again.

And you realize after a while of this... you've blown through more ammo than you realized... and you've got a HUGE grin on your face.

You just HADDA sell me that M1, didn't you, Scrivener!

M1s are fun. [grin] [grin] [grin]

Heh, heh, heh... wait 'til you get to shoot it at a car!

Even better... at a bottle of TANNERITE on the roof of a car! Ka-BOOM!

*giggling maniacally*

Yes, it came with manual, certificate of authenticity (I think that's what it is), empty chamber flag, 2 clips and sling.

Heh, heh, heh... wait 'til you get to shoot it at a car!

Even better... at a bottle of TANNERITE on the roof of a car! Ka-BOOM!

*giggling maniacally*

With tracers!!!!!!!!!! At Gas jugs with tracers!!!!!!!!!! At car gas tanks with tracers!!!!!!!!! YeeHaaa!!!!!!!

My 1917 Enfield and my 1903 Springfield both took about a month to get. My M1 was a private sale purchase from a friend. It's a Winchester, no less.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom