M1 Carbine fun

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
I brought one of my CMP M1 carbines to the range yesterday. Someone at our club had installed a swinging metal plate target at 100 yards. It was about the size of a dinner plate. He was hitting it with his .308 rifle.

I had my carbine zeroed at 50 yards. I started shooting offhand at the metal plate, and hit it three times in a row. I was totally amazed. First that the M1 carbine is so accurate and easy to shoot, and also that the .30 carbine could easily whack the metal plate from one side to the other. A .223 would barely budge it unless the hit was just in the right spot.

At 100 yards or less, it's at least as accurate to use the iron sights on the M1 carbine than to use a scope, maybe more accurate, I'm pretty sure now.

I have my best chance of hitting a small target with my Carbine over any of my rifles. It just seems to go where I want it to go. Last Easter, the Pilgrims went egg shooting with the Gooses and Steve and I blasted away at eggs with amazing accuracy.

They are really great little guns.

What kind of ammo were you using? I got an M1 carbine from CMP a while back - one of the Inlands, but I haven't had the chance to take out and shoot it yet.

Now that is a crime right there.

Sorry - I know, it is a crime to leave it unused. Unfortunately my spare time got taken up with buying more guns, searching for good deals for my ammo stockpile, spending some time shooting the M1A I bought around the same time, shooting the M&P's I also bought around the same time, and building a large barn (which took up pretty much my whole summer).

I have an gun related excuse for the barn - I need some place to reload and it gives me a good place to shoot airsoft stuff for indoor practice.

I am pretty sure I can shoot the M1 carbine up at Manchester Firing Line (indoors) so I may take it up there soon.

Sorry - I know, it is a crime to leave it unused. Unfortunately my spare time got taken up with buying more guns, searching for good deals for my ammo stockpile, spending some time shooting the M1A I bought around the same time, shooting the M&P's I also bought around the same time, and building a large barn (which took up pretty much my whole summer).

I have an gun related excuse for the barn - I need some place to reload and it gives me a good place to shoot airsoft stuff for indoor practice.

I am pretty sure I can shoot the M1 carbine up at Manchester Firing Line (indoors) so I may take it up there soon.

Yes you can. I shoot mine at their sister range, Belmont Firearms. The .30 carbine round is considered a pistol round.

The M1 carbine is the sweetest shooting rifle I've ever shot. That's why I have 3 with #4 hopefully soon on the way.

For anyone that missed out on the last batch of CMP M1's, the next release is scheduled for January 7th (Winchester, Quality Hardware and Rockola).

I would really like to get my hands on a Winchester AND a Rockola - not sure if I am going to be able to swing both though. If I had to make a choice - I will probably get the Winchester.

I'm going for a Rock-Ola and I think I'll do a QH barreled receiver as well. Would love to have a spring tube rifle.

Mailed my order in today for a Quality Hardware. [smile]

I was considering a Winchester but, I'm buying this as a shooter/keeper and wasn't interested in spending the extra $110.00
for the collectibility factor.

Hope you didn't snail mail it. I express mailed mine today, should get there Monday.

QHs are interesting because, besides those QH receivers made by the Union Switch and Signal Company (the infamous "UN-QUALITY" receivers), all QH receivers were the type II spring tube receiver which provided a seperate assembly for the op rod spring. Inland and Winchester made a relatively small number of those but switched to the standard one piece design later on. I didn't realize this til late last week, and added a QH barreled receiver to my order.

Lesson learned: All USGI carbines are collectible.

I express mailed my order today. Post office told me that no Sunday or Holiday deliveries are made to that address, so it arrives Monday.

Would have liked to get a Winchester and a Rockola but can barely swing one, so I ordered one of each with a note on the order that I only want one. First choice is the Winchester for no other reason than I have a (DCM) CMP Winchester Garand I got in 1990 and I thought it would be cool to have a "set" of Winchesters. big brother & little brother.[smile]

Depending on which one is more popular and when they actually open my order I will hopefully get one of them.

I will be bringing the Garand and the Inland carbine I got last May to the Milsurp shoot tomorrow and hope to meet a few folks with more experience with these guns than I have so I can hopefully learn a few things.

Hope you didn't snail mail it. I express mailed mine today, should get there Monday.

Sent it priority mail. It should be there by Monday.

QHs are interesting because, besides those QH receivers made by the Union Switch and Signal Company (the infamous "UN-QUALITY" receivers), all QH receivers were the type II spring tube receiver which provided a seperate assembly for the op rod spring. Inland and Winchester made a relatively small number of those but switched to the standard one piece design later on. I didn't realize this til late last week, and added a QH barreled receiver to my order.

Thanks... I never knew that.

Lesson learned: All USGI carbines are collectible.

In a manner of speaking, I guess they are, but if I had ever owned a mint condition, all matching number Winchester M1 and accidentally dropped it on the pavement... I'd probably scream in horror like a little school girl. [smile]

I wouldn't. It's a combat rifle, and Winchesters were the second most common M1 carbine with over a million produced.

Now, if it were a M3, or a Irwin Pedersen, or a Inland spring tube gun... then...

Back
Top Bottom