• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M&P9 Trigger - REALLY?

Picked up a new M&P9 range kit today. I new the trigger would need work, but this is REALLY bad. I thought the safety was on or something! Is this the best engineering coming out of S&W? I am more and more discouraged with Smitty's products. Maybe after another $200 in ammo it will break-in. [rofl]

So, aside from buying a new trigger kit from another manufacturer, is there anything the end customer can do to improve the M&P trigger pull?

Buying a M&P9 in MA is a waste. You need to spend and additional $70 just to make it decent. I traded mine in for an SR9 and I am much happier (and have extra money for ammo).

Outside of MA, different story for the M&P.

No, not really. Even the free state trigger is marginal. It's still crappy and gritty, the pull just weighs less, and it still has a reset that is way too long.

-Mike

Picked up a new M&P9 range kit today. I new the trigger would need work, but this is REALLY bad. I thought the safety was on or something! Is this the best engineering coming out of S&W? I am more and more discouraged with Smitty's products. Maybe after another $200 in ammo it will break-in.

Don't blame S&W. Blame Attorney General Coakley. It is her regulations that require the 10+ lb pull. Don't bother putting ammo through it now. Get a trigger job or drop in an Apex Tactical kit.

No, not really. Even the free state trigger is marginal. It's still crappy and gritty, the pull just weighs less, and it still has a reset that is way too long.

-Mike

Agree. I have fired my Mom's free state (SC) M&P9 and it's a long scratchy pull except at about 6-7lbs. The Apex kit isn't just a new spring, it's like 6 pieces...a whole new design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Either go the apex route or have a trigger job done by Gerg Derr. There are others but his location, south of Boston would probably be the most convenient for you. Business End Customs has gotten good reviews as well. I have had experience with Derr and I have found his work to be very good.

The issue with M&P trigger pulls has more to do with our crappy gun laws, than S&W engineering.

I installed the Apex sear and a lighter trigger spring and it made a big difference. It was not difficult, after watching the video, took about 20 minutes.

Ah, my 1st time going to the expertise of NES with a question and getting excellent responses.

Big thanks to **DRB** and drgrant for pointing me in the right direction. $70 is reasonable to fix what is an under engineered product.

Buying a M&P9 in MA is a waste. You need to spend and additional $70 just to make it decent. I traded mine in for an SR9 and I am much happier (and have extra money for ammo).

Outside of MA, different story for the M&P.

So you traded a M&P that sells for $480 for a SR9 that sells for $399 and you "saved" money? I dont get it.

Yes, the M&P trigger sucks in mass or free state ( although slightly more tolerable out of state ) But the SR9 leaves a LOT to be desired as well. If your happy with your SR9 trigger, great! Everyone Ive shot needed a trip to the gunsmith every bit as bad as a M&P

Last edited:
So you traded a M&P that sells for $480 for a SR9 that sells for $399 and you "saved" money? I dont get it.

Yes, the M&P trigger sucks in mass or free state ( although slightly more tolerable out of state ) But the SR9 leaves a LOT to be desired as well. If your happy with your SR9 trigger, great! Everyone Ive shot needed a trip to the gunsmith every bit as bad as a M&P

My point was I saved the money on the much needed trigger job.

I originally bought the MP9 the same year it was released in MA from FS. I shot it a bit and then it sat in my safe for years. Took it out recently and shot it again. Because of the trigger, I did not shoot the gun well, nor did I enjoy shooting it. Friends at my range suggested a trigger job, which I then knew it was a must. That same day, I was able to shoot a friend's SR9 for the first time. I was surprised how good the trigger felt and how well I shot the gun (granted I was comparing it to a MA 10lb MP9). Considering this is only my range (fun) gun, I decided to sell the MP9 for a SR9 and I have been happy since. Sure the SR9 is not perfect, and sure the trigger is not as nice as a Glock with a 3.5lb connector, but for the price, and for the limited selection in MA, I am happy. Who knows, outside of MA, I may have just kept the MP9.

i'm not trashing M&Ps because it's the cool thing to do--they aren't bad guns themselves, but i personally would noy buy something that essentially comes broken from the factory. i looked at one and almost bought it but the trigger was outrageous, so was the extra little takedown step. i've shot M&Ps that have had work done and they are pretty good and you're not really spending that much on one, i guess it's just general principle for me.

as others have said: take it to greg derr or lou and they will make your problems go away.

obligatory: get a glock instead.

$70 is reasonable to fix what is an under engineered product.

It isn't that the gun is "under engineered" because the the "free state" versions don't have this problem, you can place the blame squarely on Mitt Romney who signed the law that caused this BS.

Don't blame S&W, they built a gun they could sell in MA, where other manufacturers of polymer pistols ( GLOCK !) said they could not be bothered jumping through hoops in order to sell a few guns to the civilian populace by way of retail dealers.

i'm not trashing M&Ps because it's the cool thing to do--they aren't bad guns themselves, but i personally would noy buy something that essentially comes broken from the factory. i looked at one and almost bought it but the trigger was outrageous, so was the extra little takedown step. i've shot M&Ps that have had work done and they are pretty good and you're not really spending that much on one, i guess it's just general principle for me.

as others have said: take it to greg derr or lou and they will make your problems go away.

obligatory: get a glock instead.

What is this extra takedown step you refer to?

Back
Top Bottom