M&P9 Trigger - REALLY?

My completely stock M&P45c has a pretty decent trigger. Not up to par with my other four M&Ps but they've all had trigger work done, but still very usable and I haven't seen the need to get an Apex kit for it.

Same with my midsize free-state M&P45...

vellnueve said:
Mitt Romney had absolutely nothing to do with this.

Exactly. The 10 + lb trigger bs comes from the Attorney General's handgun regulations, 940 CMR 16.05 (2). This has nothing to do with any law signed by Romney.

The ten pound figure comes up all the time. First there are plenty of guns with less thn ten pound triggers on the approved list from the Secretary of Public Safety. Scott Harshbarger copied the California regs when he wrote the Mass. AG Regs. which are regs, not law.

A SW 1911 is under ten pounds, a Ruger MKIII is also. As well as many other pistols. It's all about the drop test and the complexity of firing the pistol if in the hands of a child.

I have never heard of a single instance where a person has been found in violation of anything if they possess a less than ten pound trigger.

Romney signed the Target Gun Exemption to allow them in, it is the manufacturers that are dragging their feet in submitting the paperwork for Mass. sales.

Last edited:
Greg Derr said:
I have never heard of a single instance where a person has been found in violation of anything if they possess a less than ten pound trigger..

The AGs regulations govern what a dealer can sell, not what a person can possess, so the gun owner isn't violating anything by possessing or buying a gun with a trigger less than 10 lbs and no external safety.

I own a M&P9c and if I got a trigger job, would I be able to sell it back to a dealer like Four Seasons in Woburn, MA. I plan to keep my guns for a long time but just wondering if I were to sell it many years later.

I own a M&P9c and if I got a trigger job, would I be able to sell it back to a dealer like Four Seasons in Woburn, MA. I plan to keep my guns for a long time but just wondering if I were to sell it many years later.

No. You'd probably have to Ftf it instead, although some dealers don't care much about CMR940 on used guns, but I'm bot going to out them in this thread. You could also easily sell it to a free stater via a dealer in their state if residence.

-Mike

It's all posts like this that are preventing me from buying ANY M&P. It takes so much for them to be a comfortable shooter and there plenty of underrated handguns out there that probably cry every time one of these gets sold. My first gen. Glock 17 shoots incredible and there has been no work done to it. Glock may be over-talked and often ridiculed but you get a lot when you buy a Glock, and you get your money worth.

aznkidlee said:

You'll get raped selling a gun to a dealer. Why sell it to them for wholesale when you can sell it privately and get retail instead?

It's all posts like this that are preventing me from buying ANY M&P. It takes so much for them to be a comfortable shooter and there plenty of underrated handguns out there that probably cry every time one of these gets sold. My first gen. Glock 17 shoots incredible and there has been no work done to it. Glock may be over-talked and often ridiculed but you get a lot when you buy a Glock, and you get your money worth.

I get Glock in for trigger jobs too, along with Beretta, Ruger, Colt, Walther and on and on. A trigger job refines what is a production line gun. Just like having your car engine or suspension tuned. It's all about what you feel. So don't think the M&P is alone in getting trigger work. They just happen to be very popular and Mass compliant which gets them into more hands.

You'll get raped selling a gun to a dealer. Why sell it to them for wholesale when you can sell it privately and get retail instead?

I have not sold any guns yet but and i just thought about Four Seasons. You always get more money selling privately vs dealer. Same as selling a car vs trading.

Except that, the S&W M&P series are phenomenal nation-wide and S&W is regaining its lost market share in the LE sector. There is a good reason for their strong sales in Mass for the reason you cited, but that in no way accounts for sales in other areas of the country.

Main reason IMO for this was the factory program offering a straight trade for a PDs guns. Many PDs would rather get new pistols by giving them their used guns than having to buy new. There are a ton of PDs out there with 10++ year old Glocks or Sigs that looked for new guns and joined up. I believe at one point they even were helping with the cost of holsters with larger departments.

The M&P is a good gun but such a similar animal to a Glock that price is the driving factor in most LE sales.

Main reason IMO for this was the factory program offering a straight trade for a PDs guns. Many PDs would rather get new pistols by giving them their used guns than having to buy new. There are a ton of PDs out there with 10++ year old Glocks or Sigs that looked for new guns and joined up. I believe at one point they even were helping with the cost of holsters with larger departments.

The M&P is a good gun but such a similar animal to a Glock that price is the driving factor in most LE sales.

In effect they are doing what Glock did when it started to dominate the US LE market. Still, these guns are not just being sold to LE. This is probably the hottest series of guns to come out of S&W since the fabled Model 29.

Last edited:
I get Glock in for trigger jobs too, along with Beretta, Ruger, Colt, Walther and on and on. A trigger job refines what is a production line gun. Just like having your car engine or suspension tuned. It's all about what you feel. So don't think the M&P is alone in getting trigger work. They just happen to be very popular and Mass compliant which gets them into more hands.

This.

Most of the handguns that I shoot regularly have had trigger jobs. The only exceptions are my Kahrs.

Back
Top Bottom