M&P9 Trigger - REALLY?

Isn't there some sort of a lever in the mag well you have to move as part of the take down process?

I had a M&P9c that had that iirc.

There is a lever that you can use rather than pulling the trigger. However, it's not required and there are no additional steps that have to done. It's just an option for cops who can't be trusted to see if the gun is clear before pulling the trigger.

It isn't that the gun is "under engineered" because the the "free state" versions don't have this problem,

Yes they do, the free state trigger is still pure crap, it's just LESS crap. The reset is still way too long (and it is difficult to sense when the trigger is actually reset) and the uptake is crunchy. The difference between a stock free state M&P and one with a decent trigger job done on it is night and day.

Running an M&P without an action job is masochism.

-Mike

There is a lever that you can use rather than pulling the trigger. However, it's not required and there are no additional steps that have to done. It's just an option for cops who can't be trusted to see if the gun is clear before pulling the trigger.

+1 for letting me know why this is there and that is not a feature i can bash them on.

Yeah, as much as I think Mitt is a turd, he had nothing to do with CMR940.

Yup. The 10+ lb trigger is not part of any law signed by any governor. 940 CMR 16.00 is the Attorney General's handgun regulations. Specifically 16.05 (2)

(2) It shall be an unfair or deceptive practice for a handgun-purveyor to transfer or offer to transfer to any customer located within the Commonwealth any handgun which does not contain a mechanism which effectively precludes an average five year old child from operating the handgun when it is ready to fire; such mechanisms shall include, but are not limited to: raising trigger resistance to at least a ten pound pull, altering the firing mechanism so that an average five year old child's hands are too small to operate the handgun, or requiring a series of multiple motions in order to fire the handgun.

Full text is here: http://www.mass.gov/ago/government-resources/ags-regulations/940-cmr-1600.html

If I recall correctly, it was written by AG Harshbarger's office and has been supported by AG Reilly, and AG Marsha.

Last edited:
To the OP....did you dry fire it before you bought it? If you did then why did u buy it. The triggers are laughable at best.

The other thing is you can find them lightly used all day long for 400 or less on here sometimes with triggers done or accessories. Why by new and have to fix it?

Or you can buy a Ruger SR series for 100 less with a good trigger. If you can get past the fruit loop gay safeties on it.

You can crap on smith all day long but in the end if people didn't buy them and fix all the issues. Smith might look into fixing them instead.

To the OP....did you dry fire it before you bought it? If you did then why did u buy it. The triggers are laughable at best.

The other thing is you can find them lightly used all day long for 400 or less on here sometimes with triggers done or accessories. Why by new and have to fix it?

Or you can buy a Ruger SR series for 100 less with a good trigger. If you can get past the fruit loop gay safeties on it.

You can crap on smith all day long but in the end if people didn't buy them and fix all the issues. Smith might look into fixing them instead.

Warranty?

I must have been luck. I have an M&P FS 9mm in New Hampshire and I shoot it just fine with the factory trigger. It's not the best trigger of all my handguns, but I certainly wouldn't call it horrendous.

There are advantages to the Apex kit that don't come with a trigger job...that being said, a job done by a smith like Greg Derr has great written all over it. If I had another M&P, I'd go for a combination. I shot an M&P that had an Apex hard sear, RAM and a trigger job by Burwell and it was magic. Trigger jobs are not anything new and not exclusive to M&P's. Smith and Wesson M&P sales aren't what they are for no reason - its a great gun for a decent price. You can buy the gun and improve the trigger and still be under the wire for a used Glock in this state. Some do not like the grip angle on the Glock, or it's ability to chew up the hand if you do more than plink with it - I am one of those people, so the M&P made and makes sense. Arguing over which gun is better is a storied, yet silly tradition....

ETA: Here's a little review I did on the Apex DACEK: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/list/author/2474-MassMark

Last edited:
The reason is there is a complete lack of competition in MA. Can't buy new Glocks and can't buy new Springfields, which are the M&Ps main competition across the free states.

Except that, the S&W M&P series are phenomenal nation-wide and S&W is regaining its lost market share in the LE sector. There is a good reason for their strong sales in Mass for the reason you cited, but that in no way accounts for sales in other areas of the country.

The reason is there is a complete lack of competition in MA. Can't buy new Glocks and can't buy new Springfields, which are the M&Ps main competition across the free states.

Wrong on all counts... M&P sales in MA are a fraction of what they are nation wide. You think S&W created the M&P to spur Massachusetts sales? It wasn't even available here for months and months after launch... Facts before bullshit - facts before bullshit... [wink]

Except that, the S&W M&P series are phenomenal nation-wide and S&W is regaining its lost market share in the LE sector. There is a good reason for their strong sales in Mass for the reason you cited, but that in no way accounts for sales in other areas of the country.

I am not saying they are bad guns by any means. I am just saying someone can not use MA as a guage for sales of any pistol, based on the current restrictions here.

Wrong on all counts... M&P sales in MA are a fraction of that they are nation wide. Facts before bullshit - facts before bullshit... [wink]

M&P is the #1 selling pistol in MA (fact)
The M&P biggest competitors outside of MA is the Glock and Springfield (fact, unless there is another I am failing to mention)
The Glock and Springfield are not able to be purchased new in MA (fact)

So exactly what part of my post was bullshit?

I never once mentioned nation wide sales. I only referenced MA.

I am just saying someone can not use MA as a guage for sales of any pistol, based on the current restrictions here.

The Glock and Springfield are not able to be purchased new in MA (fact) Not at all "FACT" they sure are

So exactly what part of my post was bullshit? As far as I can see, most of it

I never once mentioned nation wide sales. I only referenced MA. Actually, I believe you did. I also believe you said that you cant use MA as a sales guide, yet you were the only one that mentioned MA sales.....

Did you even read your other posts???? If not, try reading them above

Im not sure what sales figures have to do with the OP's interest in fixing his trigger, but we get it you dont like the M&P

Other than taking a massive loss on trading in the OP's M&P to "save" money on a trigger job ( I still cant figure out the math in that ) do you have any actual advice?

Last edited:
@DRB, let me try to consolidate for you so you can keep up.

MassMark said: "Smith and Wesson M&P sales aren't what they are for no reason." Implying that it must be a great gun to have such great sales.

I replied: "The reason is there is a complete lack of competition in MA. Can't buy new Glocks and can't buy new Springfields, which are the M&Ps main competition across the free states." Meaning that great sales does not always make a great gun due to other factors. And seeing that the poster was from MA, I made the comment based on MA sales.

Mark056 Commented: "Except that, the S&W M&P series are phenomenal nation-wide and S&W is regaining its lost market share in the LE sector. There is a good reason for their strong sales in Mass for the reason you cited, but that in no way accounts for sales in other areas of the country." Which is true, and said so in my next post.

MassMark replied: "Wrong on all counts... M&P sales in MA are a fraction of what they are nation wide" At which time I saw nothing wrong with my post, and I was never stating nation wide sales. Only making a point and use MA as an example.

I responded with 3 facts, in which you tried to argue one, but until dealers start selling them new in stores, your arguement is false in my opinion. And calling someone's post bullshit, without any valid arguement otherwise, is very mature.

To everyone else in this thread, please excuse me. I am still learning who is who around here. Still sorting out the fanboys and the ones who pass their opinions as fact and try to shove it down everyone else's throat.

Last edited:
Yes, you can buy new glocks at dealers in MA ( as well as springfields, kimbers ect ect ) So, yes BS

The fact that you cannot understand your own posts or others is irrelevant to me, as are sales figures in MA or nation wide. I dont care how many glocks and smiths are sold anywhere

What is relevant is offering the OP a honest piece of advice on a question that he asked, which "I" have done

I own Rugers, Glocks, Smiths, Beretta's ect and I dont give a flying crap what you think about any of them.

Massmark's post that you originally commented on was full of advice on how to fix and widely criticized M&P trigger ( rightfully so ) and you responded with BS sales arguement.

Ill ask again, what have you offered for advice?? You are the ONLY one shoving an opinion down anyones throat

Last edited:
as are sales figures in MA or nation wide. I dont care how many glocks and smiths are sold anywhere

Thank you. That is the only comment I was making on MassMark's post. The M&P is a good gun for many reasons, but sales should not be one of them....in my opinion. Glad you agree.

Massmark's post that you originally commented on was full of advice on how to fix and widely criticized M&P trigger ( rightfully so ) and you responded with BS sales arguement.

Actually, MassMark brought up sales first, I just responded.

Ill ask again, what have you offered for advice?? You are the ONLY one shoving an opinion down anyones throat

Outside of living with it, selling it, or getting a trigger job, I have no other advice. But that was all covered on the first 2 pages. If you think making a comment about sales is shoving my opinion down your throat, then you really get butthurt way too easy.

Buying a M&P9 in MA is a waste. You need to spend and additional $70 just to make it decent..

Outside of living with it, selling it, or getting a trigger job, I have no other advice. But that was all covered on the first 2 pages. If you think making a comment about sales is shoving my opinion down your throat, then you really get butthurt way too easy.

Nope, not hurt here. Just try re reading your 1st post, and all of your other useless posts that followed.....

The OP has already purchased a M&P, and asked the best way to fix the trigger. No one cares that you think the M&P is a "waste" and no one cares about damn sales figures. The question asked was "how to fix the trigger"

Obligatory "I have the Apex Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit (DCAEK) plus the Re-set Assist Mechanism (RAM) installed in my M&P9c. I couldn't be happier." post.

Trigger pull went from 10lb 15oz to 6lb 1oz, with a much better reset. My accuracy improved dramatically. I trust my life to this gun, and have the utmost confidence it will perform as necessary when needed.

I love it when people expend such energy trying to paint themselves out of their own bullshit... Well done Bob - well done.

kaneklap.gif

Smith and Wesson M&P sales aren't what they are for no reason

I got it now. Anyone disagrees with you = bullshit. And you don't even have to show facts, you can just span bullshit on a forum. Noted. I will not make the mistake of trying to hold an intelligent conversation (or friendly arguement) with you again. You may post some more "thread enchancing" pics like the kids do on game forums.

I got it now. Anyone disagrees with you = bullshit. And you don't even have to show facts, you can just span bullshit on a forum. Noted. I will not make the mistake of trying to hold an intelligent conversation (or friendly arguement) with you again. You may post some more "thread enchancing" pics like the kids do on game forums.

Bob - your understanding of 'facts' differs from most of humanity... You fail to comprehend even your own posts, so there's little to argue with or worth arguing over... Cheers... [cheers]

As fun as the sidebar Internet pissing match going on here, my 9c was a 15lb+ out of the box. Had Remsport put in the Apex parts and love the gun now. For the OP, if you're still reading through this crap, do the trigger job before putting more ammo through hoping it will break in.

Also, if you're having trouble fitting 10 rounds in your mags easily, there's a thread and video floating around how to fix that (follower "issue").

I was just gonna shoot my M&P for a while, and deal with the trigger later. Then I went and shot it. Ordered the Apex kit the next day. It's not difficult to put in, though the return spring is a $&#&$# pain in the arse. Huuuge difference.

No, not really. Even the free state trigger is marginal. It's still crappy and gritty, the pull just weighs less, and it still has a reset that is way too long.

-Mike

My completely stock M&P45c has a pretty decent trigger. Not up to par with my other four M&Ps but they've all had trigger work done, but still very usable and I haven't seen the need to get an Apex kit for it.

Back
Top Bottom