• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M&P Bodyguard?

Would like owners opinions of the M&P Bodyguard. Everything I've read is favorable. Going to try my friend's this week. I know the trigger is heavy like a revolver. Anyone have any other complaints other than the trigger? Any malfunctions?

I didn't like it when I tried one. The controls are tiny and hard to use. I had malfunctions (granted, it was a range rental). Meh.

I like mine. The trigger is long and heavy, but I never worry about carry with one in the chamber. I shoot it well because I shoot it often. I get to the range every week and always shoot 50 or so rounds after everything is packed up. I carry it a lot and the small controls don't bother me anymore.

I had both laser/no-laser models and had no issues. If I pocket-carried, I'd probably have kept one. I liked the size and design, but decided I liked the Kahr P380 and Sig P238 better. Both of these guns a very popular on this board for good reasons. Try them before you buy the Bodyguard, side-by-side if possible.

Bodyguard trigger is worse than a revolver. If you're only shooting a few rounds out of it during range visits, it's not an issue.

I had some magazine related issues with mine where the coils on the spring overlapped and it fed like shit. I couldn't figure out what was going on but it was obvious when I took the magazine apart to inspect it. It caused me to lose faith in it and it's since lost its spot in my carry rotation. It's too bad because it is awesome to carry. I haven't even shot it much since fixing the mag; maybe it came from the factory messed up and now it's fine.

Other than the magazine I had no issues with it. Like I said it's great to carry in a pocket. It's not too fun at the range, but like they say it's good enough for social work. Not that I ever had an issue with weak primer strikes, I like the double-strike capability of the hammer fired gun.

I carried it with the safety off. The safety is tiny to operate and with the long trigger pull I have no reservations with carrying it that way in a pocket holster.

I feel I'm one of the few, but I love it. It's my EDC for summer. I have the M&P BG380 w/o laser. I bought it approximately a year and a half ago. I've had some light primer strikes on certain range ammo, but none with any carry ammo. I love the size of it with the flush magazine because it just disappears when pocket carried or with IWB carry. It has a long double action trigger pull which takes a lot of practice to master. Once you achieve that, it is quite accurate. I hate manual safeties but it has never accidentally came on. I have approximately 6-700 rounds through it and is a fun gun to shoot. My typical EDC ammo is underwood 90gr xtreme penetrators +P. Although I will probably switch back to Federal HST now that summer clothes are mainly worn.

Be prepared to read negative things about the BG here. Everyone has their own opinion. It's a matter of what suites you well. I've shot the P380 and G42. Both are great, but I didn't like the short length of pull on the Kahr and the G42 is bigger than the BG in every dimension.

Reputation for a long heavy trigger is true, but it's really not all that bad. I shoot it a fair amount and I have just got used to the trigger over time. Mine has been very dependable. I have the original laser version and I check the laser lock screw every time I clean my BG just be on the safe side. I used blue thread locker on that screw since it has the potential to back out over time and cause a jam on the early models. I never use the laser, but that's the only way they came when I bought mine.

I like mine, carry it regularly.

I'm generally too lazy to put a holster on, so i like tiny guns that i can pocket or just tuck IWB @ appendix in a pocket holster.

It has a DAO trigger. It's long and heavy but breaks clean and can be shot accurately. It's been reliable, and i don't find the small controls to be an issue. You do not need the safety IMO, with a pocket holster and that long heavy trigger i don't see how it would be any more dangerous than a wheelgun.

I like mine, carry it regularly.

I'm generally too lazy to put a holster on, so i like tiny guns that i can pocket or just tuck IWB @ appendix in a pocket holster.

It has a DAO trigger. It's long and heavy but breaks clean and can be shot accurately. It's been reliable, and i don't find the small controls to be an issue. You do not need the safety IMO, with a pocket holster and that long heavy trigger i don't see how it would be any more dangerous than a wheelgun.

I agree about the controls. The safety is tiny, but because it's got a really tight detent, and isn't easy to snag, I have never seen the need to actuate it while carrying like I do with other guns that the safety could inadvertently be actuated. I just carry as if it has no safety at all. It used to be my primary summer carry until I got the LC9s Pro (no safety). These days I use the BG as an ankle carry, or pocket when I'm dressed up with a tucked shirt. I have had both versions, but didn't like the laser on the early model, so I traded it, and waited until the new M&P non laser model came out to replace it. It gets a lot of flack about the long, heavy trigger, but I see that as a non issue if you know how to shoot, and practice with it. If you ever HAVE to use a gun in defense, I guarantee you won't notice the heavier trigger pull.

piece of junk. too small of a grip for a average size man. Shot 100 hundred rounds through it and the mag wouldn't stay in. Sent it to S&W for repair soon as I got it back I sold it.

piece of junk. too small of a grip for a average size man. Shot 100 hundred rounds through it and the mag wouldn't stay in. Sent it to S&W for repair soon as I got it back I sold it.

Not trying to argue if you had a bad experience, but the grip size is small as is EVERY subcompact gun made. that is what contributes to it being so concealable, so it just takes practice to learn to shoot with a 2 finger grip, instead of 3 as in a full sized gun. I have bigger hands than most and have no issues at all with grip on subcompacts. If it is a problem for you though, then it won't be exclusive to just the BG...

I agree about the controls. The safety is tiny, but because it's got a really tight detent, and isn't easy to snag, I have never seen the need to actuate it while carrying like I do with other guns that the safety could inadvertently be actuated. I just carry as if it has no safety at all. It used to be my primary summer carry until I got the LC9s Pro (no safety). These days I use the BG as an ankle carry, or pocket when I'm dressed up with a tucked shirt. I have had both versions, but didn't like the laser on the early model, so I traded it, and waited until the new M&P non laser model came out to replace it. It gets a lot of flack about the long, heavy trigger, but I see that as a non issue if you know how to shoot, and practice with it. If you ever HAVE to use a gun in defense, I guarantee you won't notice the heavier trigger pull.

Not trying to argue if you had a bad experience, but the grip size is small as is EVERY subcompact gun made. that is what contributes to it being so concealable, so it just takes practice to learn to shoot with a 2 finger grip, instead of 3 as in a full sized gun. I have bigger hands than most and have no issues at all with grip on subcompacts. If it is a problem for you though, then it won't be exclusive to just the BG...

This pretty well sums it up. Most of the neg. reviews I've read here are not an issue in my book. It's a pocket carry gun, period. I have both of them, the laser since it was 1st available, awesome pocket gun...

I agree with the dress shirt tucked in. T-shirt holsters are great for small guns. I go back and forth with the G42 and BG and find that I can carry 3 mags of either on the other side of the holster. It makes for a rapid draw with one button undone underneath a silk tie with tie clip.

No failures or light strikes with mine. The only negative I have with this gun is that it has taken me a lot of practice to learn to shoot it well. If you plan to judge the BG based on one range trip you may be disappointed.

I lost faith in mine when the firing pin broke. I was clearing the gun and a chunk of the pin fell right out. S&W customer service was absolute crap to me.
I loved the size and didn't mind the trigger.

Now carry an LC9s. A little bigger, but a lot more reassuring.
I either pocket carry, or OWB.

Well just got back from the club and fired about 40 rounds through the Bodyguard. The only thing I found was that it will take practice to get use to the trigger. The gun ran flawlessly. It does have a bit more recoil than my 238 but a bit smaller and lighter which is what I'm looking for. I guess if I can't have a Kahr 380, the Bodyguard will do.
Oh, I also fired 3 rounds through my friend's Seecamp, (CA Edition). That's quite a little gun, can't hit anything at 25 ft but ....LOL

Last edited:
Mine runs great. Only had a problem with the mags in the beginning and Smith fixed them right away. The heavy trigger isn't a problem at all.

If you get a non laser that works right, not a bad gun. Problem is it doesn't take much to get better. Even an LCP on average is far better.

If you get a non laser that works right, not a bad gun. Problem is it doesn't take much to get better. Even an LCP on average is far better.

Why non-laser? Because the screw that holds the laser unit in place tends to back out and lock the gun up so it can't be disassembled without whacking the slid with a rubber mallet until the screw head shears off? Or did you have a different reason? [laugh]

Why non-laser? Because the screw that holds the laser unit in place tends to back out and lock the gun up so it can't be disassembled without whacking the slid with a rubber mallet until the screw head shears off? Or did you have a different reason? [laugh]

That, and in general the laser guns seem to have worse issues overall. Not to mention at one point supposedly the laser guns have MIM barrels and the nons don't, but this could have changed. The laser gun had schloque written all over it. Internsl discussion with a few FFLs indicated a high return rate on the laser guns, too.

-Mike

It's the only gun my wife will carry. Tiniest thing we own. It's an early laser model and has been back to the factory at least twice (can't remember exactly). Typical laser screw backing out and making the gun a (small) paperweight.

I tried to sell her on a Kahr but she couldn't rack the slide very well.

I won't sell it (see above regarding wife) but I don't like it much at all. We also have the BG38SP and I would carry that over the 380 in a heartbeat if those were my only choices. Not that the 38SP doesn't have issues too.

I wanted either the shield or bodyguard. I was going to settle on which i could get a better deal on. After reading all these pos, i might have to reconsidered getting a bodyguard with the laser. Maybe i could get some better sights instead

I wanted either the shield or bodyguard. I was going to settle on which i could get a better deal on. After reading all these pos, i might have to reconsidered getting a bodyguard with the laser. Maybe i could get some better sights instead

I prefer the bodyguard w/o laser. The pistol has a Lifetime Warranty, the laser does NOT!

F.S. often sells the Bodyguard w/o laser for $279-$289 cash

I put Williams FireSights on mine! I really like the TALON grips on them too!
[smile]

Bodyguard380.JPG BGtrigger.jpg BGsights.jpg

They don't fill the same role.

The BG is a pocket gun, the shield is a compact for IWB.

The shield is a MUCH better gun (Ive had a couple of shields and still have a 9mm shield and an M&P BG380) but does require an IWB holster. You might be able to pocket carry it, but it is large for that so it will not work for all clothing/situations.

Back
Top Bottom