• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

m&p 9c or Ruger SR9c

Looking to make my first purchase and im really interested in these 2 guns. Both are in a good price range and seem like they would be good for both carry and recreational shooting. I hear alot of people complain about the trigger on the m&p though, is it that much different than other guns? Is there any other guns anyone recommends that are similar to those arround the 400-600 price range? Also, what would be a good revolver that is under 500, because im interested in getting one of those as well at some point

What I tell me students, is to go to MFL and rent both and see which fits and feels the best to them. If you don't live near MFL or Mass Firearms School, see if there is anyone here who can bring you to the range and try them out. It is better to spend $60 to rent a gun you hate, versus spending $600 or more on a gun you hate. I personally like the M+P line a lot. I have the 9c with a trigger job done by Business End Customs.

The SR9c has a sweet trigger!! I love my SR9c, you can also buy a regular SR9 Mag, and the little base sleeve to make it full size....

I own 2 M&P 9mm guns and the Ruger SR9c. Out of the box, I like the Rugers trigger better, hands down! I got trigger jobs done at Business End Customs for both my M&P's, totally different guns with them done! I love all my guns, like others have said, rent & shoot before you buy and regret! IMO, you can't go wrong with either gun, good luck!

I just bought an SR9c. Right out of the box, I was shooting less than an inch groups. It is a sweet gun. I also shot the M&P 9c a lot before I made my purchase. I just never did like the feel of that one though.

Another vote for SR9c. I carry it daily and have over 1000 rounds through it without a single hiccup. I had a M&P and I could hold it on target for some reason but with the SR9c I have great groups and its incredibly accurate, and great trigger pull and I think it just gets better with time.

Now if only you can find an SR9c... I've been searching for about 5 weeks...of course, I made the search more difficult because I want the all black one...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

i sold my m&pc for an sr9c. I like the way the trigger brakes better and its cheaper with equal levels of quality.

Out of the box the sr9c is a better gun. The m&p needs a trigger job if you live in MA, but once you get that, it has a sweet trigger.

Looking to make my first purchase and im really interested in these 2 guns. Both are in a good price range and seem like they would be good for both carry and recreational shooting. I hear alot of people complain about the trigger on the m&p though, is it that much different than other guns? Is there any other guns anyone recommends that are similar to those arround the 400-600 price range? Also, what would be a good revolver that is under 500, because im interested in getting one of those as well at some point
Of the two, I'd go for the Ruger. In the price range. I'd go with a SIG 2022 or Glock (free state price, tho. You MA guys have to shell out ridiculous money for Glocks).
A revolver in the 500 range? Rossi, or go S&W used. You can also find Ruger double action wheel guns on gunbroker in that range.

another vote for the Ruger SR9c, the M&P trigger is awful out of the box and required another $100 to make it nice to shoot, Ruger has a nice trigger ready to go, no extras needed and the gun is cheaper to begin with

You'd be well served with either gun. Shoot them both and pick the one you like better.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

You asked about revolvers. It sorta depends on what you have in mind. For carry? I have and really like the Ruger LPC .357. Whether you shoot .38spl or .357mag the extra weight (17oz or so unloaded) really helps. For range and competition? I have and love the Ruger GP100 .357 4 inch barrel. Great gun, very accurate. For plinking? It's a bit expensive but I have and love the S&W 617 in .22lr. Great revolver training at a reasonable ammo cost...or at least it was a reasonable ammo cost. Have fun and good shootin'!

+1 for the Ruger

... you can also buy a regular SR9 Mag, and the little base sleeve to make it full size....

Be careful here. Some full size mags are 17 rounders and some are 10 rounders. There are no pre-bans so you can only get the 10 rounders.

another vote for the Ruger SR9c, the M&P trigger is awful out of the box and required another $100 to make it nice to shoot, Ruger has a nice trigger ready to go, no extras needed and the gun is cheaper to begin with

To me this is the bottom line. Both are great guns, but why should you have to shell out an additional $100 to make an already more expensive gun shoot almost as good (or even as good) as the SR9c right out of the box? I might also add that even thought the Ruger has a sweet trigger out of the box, it gets even better with some rounds through it, and even better still if you take 5-10 minutes to remove the mag disconnect. This not only lightens the trigger a bit more, but also allows safe dry fire practice, which is not recommended on a stock SR9c because the pin hits the mag disconnect, and can eventually wear on the firing pin, or damage it. Removing it does not require a smith, and there is a great video on youtube that shows how to do it for those not comfortable with disassembling the striker assembly. For me it was not about being a Ruger, or Smith fanboy, but rather getting the best firearm for the dollar spent, and for that criteria no one can argue that the S&W is better in any way, unless it just happens to feel better to you ergonomically, or something. Also in the months of research that I did prior to purchasing, I didn't find a single negative review on the SR9c, but many on the S&W, although most were about the crappy out the box trigger which could be fixed. If you were able to take the price difference off the table (like buying both used, and having a S&W with trigger already done), then it would just come down to ergonomics alone as they are both reliable, well built guns.

You should have already made your decision based upon the above but another vote for the SR9c.
I like the M&P line and they are great guns but the Ruger is one solid little shooter and I recommend it.

Agree with the GP100. Sweet wheel gun never any issues built like a tank.
You asked about revolvers. It sorta depends on what you have in mind. For carry? I have and really like the Ruger LPC .357. Whether you shoot .38spl or .357mag the extra weight (17oz or so unloaded) really helps. For range and competition? I have and love the Ruger GP100 .357 4 inch barrel. Great gun, very accurate. For plinking? It's a bit expensive but I have and love the S&W 617 in .22lr. Great revolver training at a reasonable ammo cost...or at least it was a reasonable ammo cost. Have fun and good shootin'!

I ended up buying a Ruger SR9 for $450 I realized i probably wouldnt carry much until i got used to shooting and everything, also this was cheaper. Problem is where the hell can i get ammo now

Welcome to our world.
Now, you know that your new gun won't function properly unless you go green on NES, don't you?

Back
Top Bottom